Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

What is the worst official Doom/Doom II/Final Doom level?

What is both subjectively and objectively the worst Doom level of the Classic Doom series? Like, in general?

I'm pretty sure someone addressed this topic, but I'm new, so I don't know.

Ultimate Doom: E2M9 it's usually considered (one of) the worst map of the game, amongst all the other secret levels.
I personally hate E4M3 and E4M4 designs.

Based on the numerous times this topic has come up even in the short few years I've been around here, I think MAP22: Habitat of TNT Evilution has got to be the most consistently loathed level of the IWADS, from what I've seen.  

E3M1

(edit for response below) Yup

E3M1 has a dumb start, having imps and cacos to deal with just a pistol, sure you can run past them. Then there's the boring demon corridor before the last few rooms. It fails as a level and it fails as a linear level.

E3M2 is more fun, several nooks, nonlinearity, and tried to be artistic in some sense.

Edited by NuMetalManiak : for response below

MAP21 of doom 2 is one of the worst ones imo, I think that's a common sentiment though. Bland design, dumb traps like the tiny imp room and overall just boring. It even has a large sector with a missing ceiling texture...

Entire Plutonia Experiment objectively, apparently.

Subjectively I don't like Map uh.. 19? The castle level, of DooM II, by the single reason that when I was a kid I could not get past that level on vanilla, it was laaaater on when I discovered GZDoom and played through that map with mods that I could get past MAP19, with jumping and crouching stuff, I think it was after beating the Cyberdemon.

E2M9, E3M8, MAP21 and MAP30 for Doom 1 and Doom 2. There's also a lot of bad ones in TNT but I haven't played those in ages.

Why those 4?

E2M9 is just a genuine WTF? moment, the "gameplay" is a joke.

E3M8, when playing continuously can be beaten in less than 10 seconds, it's a total waste of time as an episode closer.

MAP21 is the ugliest and most nonsensical of the IWAD maps.

MAP30 is very special. It's not only a butt-ugly abomination, the icing on the cake is that it crashes the engine it was "meant to be played on" when trying to save and reload.

E3M8 because it's a huge letdown from E2M8, which felt like the actual final boss. 

Doom 2 MAP21 for being hideous and boring.

Out of DOOM 2, the one I find least fun is MAP08 "Tricks and Traps".  Too many gimmicks, nearly every room is a poor space for fighting in, and the path to the exit is a real bastard when keyboarding (no mouse).

the worst IMO was level 21 of TNT. the Chaingunners were awfully placed, and it started to feel like trial and error. TNT in general sucked, actually, Final DOOM sucked. I hate how it's official. Jimmy could make maps better than Final DOOM's levels if he was only given 10 minutes to do so. 

TNT map21 is the worst episode opener in my opinion. After map 20 you expect to see short and easy level to relax from exhausting adventure. But first thing, that you see is long boring corridors and gigantic rooms. I wish Quarry was map 21 instead of Administration Center.

3 hours ago, Chainie said:

long boring corridors and gigantic rooms.

So, the average TNT map at this point.

9 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Ultimate Doom: E2M9 it's usually considered (one of) the worst map of the game, amongst all the other secret levels.
I personally hate E4M3 and E4M4 designs.

E2M9 is actually the best secret level in Ultimate Doom.

At least for me.

I had assumed Habitat would get a few mentions here, given how much it's been complained about on these forums. My least favourite would have to be a TNT level - I found Ultimate Doom and Doom II to be a lot of fun to revisit on a low difficulty, just to breeze through and refresh my memories. Trying the same with Evilution, I lost interest pretty quickly. Couldn't tell you which one specifically, but it was around the late teens I went "fuck it..." and updated my GZDoom version to invalidate my saved game.

34 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

E2M9 is actually the best secret level in Ultimate Doom.

At least for me.

I wouldn't call it the best secret level in Ultimate Doom, but I like E2M9 as well. It's a pretty fun map if you take full advantage of infighting between the barons and cacos. I'm not sure what people are complaining about unless they're trying to kill all the barons first before opening the room with the cacos.

Also, Plutonia is the best IWAD. And TNT's map22 "Habitat" is the worst IWAD level.

I was expecting more from TNT, to be honest...

I am going to leave my  "M T .  P A I N  worst one there is"  here and leave.

DooM:

E4M2 - Perfect Hatred (Need I say more?)

DooM II:

MAP 30 - Icon of Sin (cause a really badly designed boss is totally a good idea. :D)

TNT Evilution:

I think almost everyone can agree it's map 27, mount pain

Plutonia:

MAP 27 - Antichrist (more like anti JESUS CHRIST WHAT WENT WRONG?!)

E2M9 is ok but the exit room with all the keys in it is weird stupid. Map21 and 30 of Doom 2 is pretty bad for sure, but map31 and 32 are disappointing, boring and I think Wolfenstein should've been a small secret area in some map, not two secret maps.

Ultimate Doom - E4M1 - Very unbalanced for completionists & just in general, very tedious. 

DooM 2 - Map 20 - Infighting between the two bosses was kind of cool back in the day but the overall level is not my thing. The BFG secret most players probably got it by accident & the fact that you can get soft-locked in one of the teleports... yea.

Plutonia - Map 09 - That last area is a huge difficulty spike, especially on fast monsters. Holy shit. The map itself is meh.

TNT - A tie between map 21 & map 27 - I know Map 22 is quite infamous for being ugly & poorly made but at least it isn't confusing & tedious. Map 21 is a nightmare to navigate for a beginner & even once you figure out the pattern, you still wish it was over.

Map 27 has tedium written all over it, especially the underground pain sector tunnel & the map is too large.

Doom: Probably E3M4 (House of Pain) for being the absolute most forgettable level in Doom to me.  I think that E3 starts pretty rough with the very mediocre E3M1 and E3M3, but at least those levels are doing something new that you haven't seen before, and E3M1 is kind of redeemed by the existence of E3M9.  E3M4 is just "what is E3M3 was worse" I think.  E2M6 makes an honorable mention because I think most of that level is very unfun but its saved by the false exit being one of the single best rooms in Doom.

Ultimate Doom: Either E4M5 (They Will Repent) or E4M9 (Fear) - sorry Tim Willits.  E4M5 has theoretically interesting architecture but the railings are really bad for the gameplay and there are zero interesting or memorable encounters.  E4M9 has a hot start that's pretty okay and then the rest of the level is a wet fart, all symmetrical rooms with boring encounters.

Doom II: Yeah, MAP21 (Nirvana) is pretty awful.  MAP09 (The Pit) or MAP12 (The Factory) probably take second place.  Sandy was overworked and it shows.

5 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

DooM:

E4M2 - Perfect Hatred (Need I say more?)

It is actually not that bad if you "grab" the bfg prematurely from the megaarmor secret room. It's actually quite fun this way

I wouldn't call it the worst map, but I always feel like Hunted (Plutonia MAP11) is more of a chore to play than anything. It's a neat gimmick idea but not one I find that fun in practice.

37 minutes ago, plums said:

I wouldn't call it the worst map, but I always feel like Hunted (Plutonia MAP11) is more of a chore to play than anything. It's a neat gimmick idea but not one I find that fun in practice.

I aggree. I dislike the tripwires in this map, cause they make it more of a puzzle map. It would be so much better if the whole thing was implemented differently