Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vic Vos

Hell Hunt - yet another 90's style FPS

Dunno if it's been posted here (search didn't find anything).

I played the demo - it has some potential, but I'm starting to think that the market's getting a tad bit oversaturated.

Edited by Vic Vos

I've not heard the phrase "boomer shooter" before - what's the definition?  Google doesn't seem to yield anything definitive.

Not liking the looks of this one. Focusing on melee combat isn't a very oldschool thing to do, also these gimmicky spears and slowdowns... Seems to suffer from the DUSK/AMID EVIL syndrome, too. Audiovisual feedback from both enemies and guns looks fucking weak.

25 minutes ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Seems to suffer from the DUSK/AMID EVIL syndrome, too

What's that?

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I've not heard the phrase "boomer shooter" before - what's the definition?  Google doesn't seem to yield anything definitive.

It may have originated with Civvie11, though I can't be certain. He's the only person I've ever heard use the term. Based on his context, he seems to be using it to refer to FPS games from the 90's, and generally the Doom, Quake, and Build engine varieties (as opposed to say, Half-Life 1). I'm sure there'd be great debate and hairsplitting on an actual definition for it, though.

And whether the phrase actually makes any sense is another thing entirely. I'd imagine that 90's FPS games are more directly related to Gen X and Gen Y, rather than Baby Boomers (as a generalization, not a rule), but "boomer shooter" just sounds a lot better than whatever the alternative would be.     

Still waiting for a Wolfenstein 3d Based game that doesn't suck.

Also yeah, civvie11 is the one who i think coined that term lol

"a new retro FPS". It's like they're acknowledging there's too many of them by now.

Looks kinda cool. We'll see.

51 minutes ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Not liking the looks of this one. Focusing on melee combat isn't a very oldschool thing to do, also these gimmicky spears and slowdowns... Seems to suffer from the DUSK/AMID EVIL syndrome, too. Audiovisual feedback from both enemies and guns looks fucking weak.

I've been craving a good, old school style shooter with good melee combat. Amid Evil left a bad taste in my mouth, especially after being praised for being so much like Hexen. Something about the abstract shapes in place of weapons, bland music, over-saturated colors, it's nothing like Hexen. Not that it's inherently bad, just not my taste. I'm still disappointed in Hellraid being cancelled.

This game looks alright, I agree the sound design is a bit cheap but the setting looks fun enough.

2 hours ago, boris said:

What's that?

Everything from guns through enemies to levels themselves lacking oomph, clarity and distinctiveness. DUSK tried to imitate Quake without realizing what made Quake good. AMID EVIL alleviated that somewhat by introducing original and fun to use weapons, but took a nose dive with audiovisual clarity - enemies often blend in with the background, make almost no noise and it's incredibly difficult to tell when they're actually attacking.

4 hours ago, Bauul said:

I'm thinking it's something that generation z, or Zoomers, uses to refer to shooters made in the 90's. Despite the fact that people born in the 80's and 90's are millennials, not Boomers. Which means gen Z is even dumber than I thought.

Spoiler

I'm not going to let yet another one of my threads get derailed, so I renamed it. Civvie 11 is cringe, anyway.

The melee is indeed jank, the sound effects leave much to be desired and the game also suffers from that problem, when you play at a high FOV, enemies melee you from a farther distance than you'd think - I don't know what's it called.
Here's hoping at least some issues get alleviated with the full release.

8 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

Still waiting for a Wolfenstein 3d Based game that doesn't suck.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

10 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein? 

yeah or a Wolf 3D game would be cool, of course it would need to be completely different and not a ww2 shooter to really stand out

On 7/7/2020 at 12:28 AM, Jello said:

I'm thinking it's something that generation z, or Zoomers, uses to refer to shooters made in the 90's. Despite the fact that people born in the 80's and 90's are millennials, not Boomers. Which means gen Z is even dumber than I thought.

Pretty sure that Boomer was originally meant as a insult on 4chan's /v/ and /vg/ by players of CoD, Overwatch, PUBG and other modern shooters to insult fans of retro FPS'es, etc. It didn't get the context of referring to ACTUAL boomers until it moved beyond 4chan's idiotic little echochambers.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

It may have originated with Civvie11, though I can't be certain. He's the only person I've ever heard use the term. Based on his context, he seems to be using it to refer to FPS games from the 90's, and generally the Doom, Quake, and Build engine varieties (as opposed to say, Half-Life 1). I'm sure there'd be great debate and hairsplitting on an actual definition for it, though.

that's hysterical. I guess the 90s were the years of the Boomer. 

No idea how this boomer shooter debate came to be but whatever.

This one also looks interesting but this time around, like the Quake 1-inspired title, it does feel quite rough around the edges. Hopefully that changes later.

On 7/7/2020 at 2:59 AM, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Seems to suffer from the DUSK/AMID EVIL syndrome, too. 

Being good Games is a good Syndrome to have.