Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom guy66

Is TNT Evilution good, bad OR okay

I have finished plutonia on hurt me plenty but now I'm playing it on uv and it's pretty easy for the most part I'm on map23.

I also just started playing TNT the farthest i ever got was to map03 but I was wondering is TNT good, bad or okay also is it harder then plutonia because so far its pretty annoying.

BTW I'm on map02 looking for the last secret if you where wondering and i kinda like the maps.

Also you all will get a like if i read your reply

EDIT i made a blind playrough of tnt with no commentary i did the first 7 maps.  

Edited by uwwaves

Compared to Doom 2, the highs and higher and the lows are lower. But most TNT levels are just okay. There are some great maps like 31 and 32, and some terrible ones like 22. And it's easier than Plutonia.

It's okay. Has some great levels (07, 12, 22) but overall it's the weakest of the IWADs.

It's a classic thats for sure, but for today standars I would say its good enough. I've always have thought that Plutonia was the bigger, badder, cooler brother.

7 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

It's okay. Has some great levels (07, 12, 22) but overall it's the weakest of the IWADs.

High five on Map12. Map22 though, it's another kind of fun lol

To the topic: It's gookay IMO.

Just now, GarrettChan said:

High five on Map12. Map22 though, it's another kind of fun lol

To the topic: It's gookay IMO.

so its like a 6/10 or like 7/10

Like most megawads made by multiple authors, it's a mixed bag. 

Honestly I usually just play TNT for MAP 18 - Mill. It's fairly weird TNT. (Half the time it feels like the maps are from those "COOL NEW 100 IN 1 DOOM MAP PACK NOW WITH EXTRA COLA!!!" shovel-ware packs).

Regardless of how you feel about TNT, I think we can all agree that some of the music in it is excellent? For me, some of the best in all the Doom IWADs.

My favorite IWAD.

When Ultimate Doom tried to offer a moody experience with a mix of tense atmosphere and action, TNT: Evilution went straight for the horror suspense with heavy action in between.

For me is the IWAD with the best music, and some of the best levels, but yes, it has some of the worst levels, too.

I mean... It was basically a proto-community project. Almost every map has its own mapper, yet it somehow keeps a fairly consistent tone, which is kind of impressive for the time. There are some highlights, on the other hand Habitat exists (and it looks like this).

image.png.876620d12b9c495819da665cd1ecf6da.png

(source: Doomwiki)

21 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

I mean... It was basically a proto-community project. Almost every map has its own mapper, yet it somehow keeps a fairly consistent tone, which is kind of impressive for the time. There are some highlights, on the other hand Habitat exists (and it looks like this).

image.png.876620d12b9c495819da665cd1ecf6da.png

(source: Doomwiki)

Art in pure form!!!

It was okay.

Best maps: 02, 04, 05, 06, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 29, 31.

MAP27: Mount Pain was seriously a pain.

Yeah it was all right but has no replay value

Some of sublevels are so daunting and offensively huge that is just demotivating

I've replayed plutonia so many times

I hardly ever touch TNT because of how awful it is

TNT is a major "eh" for me. Outside of Doom 1's maps I feel like it's the worst of the commercial WADs. (I can't get into Doom 1 because it's so boring without the SSG and expanded bestiary.)

I would compare TNT to Memento Mori 1 & 2 but even worse. The fights are kinda limp and it all comes off as a slog.

Music rocks and got at least 15 memorable levels, like that one on a spaceship where you are looking for   survivors and kill  everything with the rocket launcher that wake up all the monsters.

Standards in hell levels for me. And the worse ending level.

6.5/10

TNT has some large and fairly creative (for its time) levels and some interesting looking areas, but it's also got a lot of stinkers. Most of the other levels range from ok to pretty mediocre. It's overall decent, but it hasn't aged well. 

As far as difficulty, it's easier than Plutonia, but not by a whole lot. It still has a fetish for chaingunners, it just litters them around just about every room rather than springing sudden death traps on you. It's not much more sparing with the tougher enemies, either. Significantly harder than Doom 2, for sure.

9 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Music rocks and got at least 15 memorable levels, like that one on a spaceship where you are looking for   survivors and kill  everything with the rocket launcher that wake up all the monsters.

Standards in hell levels for me. And the worse ending level.

6.5/10

Ah I did forget about the music. TNT has some of the best midis.

I reckon it’s ok :-)

Would probably even call it good (for the time it came out) but then it overstays it’s welcome a little :-P

I got stuck progression-wise during the third or fourth map (I genuinely can't remember) and quit out of frustration. I'd go back to it, but honestly, I've been finding much more interesting WADs to play and have also been replaying Doom 1 and 2 frequently as well. I don't really feel compelled to give it a second chance any time soon as I wasn't exactly drawn in by it. It's probably going to sit on the backburner for some time among my "to-do" list.

11 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I got stuck progression-wise during the third or fourth map (I genuinely can't remember) and quit out of frustration. I'd go back to it, but honestly, I've been finding much more interesting WADs to play and have also been replaying Doom 1 and 2 frequently as well. I don't really feel compelled to give it a second chance any time soon as I wasn't exactly drawn in by it. It's probably going to sit on the backburner for some time among my "to-do" list.

If you're talking about Wormhole (MAP04), that's generally considered one of the best maps in the entire WAD.