Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Mods that make the game harder?

Any mods that make D3 more like a survival horror instead of half-and-halfing it? RoE feels notably more tense than the base game due to less resources on offer (plus Sluggard's Subtle Improvements ammo rebalancing). I actually really appreciate getting those locker codes now! Plus the Vulgar is exactly what the Imp should've been IMO, faster and tougher. I always wished monsters "de-spawned" quicker as well so they aren't immobile for so long while also vulnerable. Or just make them invincible during the spawn sequence. I think I could also "cheat" for more player damage without the health depletion gimmick of the Soul Cube on Nightmare by adjusting those variables in the Config? Or is there an easier way?

Overthinked Doom 3 https://www.moddb.com/mods/overthinked-doom3

The mod's goal is to make the game harder and to emphasize on the survival aspect. Haven't tried it myself yet.

5 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I think I could also "cheat" for more player damage without the health depletion gimmick of the Soul Cube on Nightmare by adjusting those variables in the Config? Or is there an easier way?

Not in the config, but you could create your own mod by adjusting values in the player.def and the various monster's .def files.

Edited by Tetzlaff

I just found out today I can open def files with just notepad and now I can't stop changing things. Might release a mini-mod at some point in the unspecified future!

E: Anybody know what controls damage percentage for difficulties? If I alter damage to be higher for monster attacks Veteran will grossly exaggerate the damage further, that and I would like to make it 100% instead of 170% (or Marine's 90%).

Edited by Lila Feuer

On 7/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, Lila Feuer said:

E: Anybody know what controls damage percentage for difficulties? If I alter damage to be higher for monster attacks Veteran will grossly exaggerate the damage further, that and I would like to make it 100% instead of 170% (or Marine's 90%).

In my subtle improvements mod I managed to make veteran difficulty use different damage scaling and armor protection scaling by adding this to ai_player.script

eachFrame {
           if ( sys.getcvar( "si_gameType" ) == "singleplayer" ) //only affect singleplayer

{
           if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_skill" ) == "2")
             {

//Make armor deplete faster
              sys.setcvar( "g_armorProtection", "0.8" );
              sys.setcvar( "g_damageScale", "3" );
             }
           }

Default values seem hardcoded but this works well enough if you just add it to void player::Torso_Idle()

I just made the armor protection higher to compensate for the increased damage. But I am curious about something, do Z-Sec not have headshot damage? I see it in the pistol and shield guy code, but the shotgun guy and machine gunner lack any such thing.

Maybe they use the headshot damage of another Zsec monster. There is the "inherit" function in the .def files that lets you use code of another monster.

That's possible, didn't think they used inheritance. Heh, I'm starting to possibly see where ZDoom's DECORATE got its methods from.

I think the game is ignoring the pinky demon's HP raise, I bumped it up from 220 to 520 and it's just as weak as ever. Even tried setting headshot damage scaling to zero, but nothing changed. Every other monster has worked so far.

I've had my eye on this mod, Doom 3 Fixed Edition.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-fixed-edition-d3fe

It makes a few changed to gameplay, but most of its aesthetic or simply to make some of the easier enemies harder. For example, the cyberdemon is buffed and archviles use their stronger attacks earlier in the game. I've been meaning to try it out, but never got around to it.

52 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

Doom 3 Fixed Edition.

Yeah, that's my subtle improvements mod, you can find a thread about it here. mostly small changes to make veteran difficulty tougher, encourage switching between weapons and discourage wasting ammo lol.

Edited by sluggard

Nice, I might do yet another playthrough with it one day if you ever decide to share it with us Haha.

Edited by sluggard

4 hours ago, sluggard said:

Yeah, that's my subtle improvements mod, you can find a thread about it here. mostly small changes to make veteran difficulty tougher, encourage switching between weapons and discourage wasting ammo lol.

Its a great idea man, I like the mostly vanilla approach but with small improvements.

I think I was trying to figure out how to make mod folders for D3 then got sidetracked, and never got it installed.

8 hours ago, Hellektronic said:

I think I was trying to figure out how to make mod folders for D3 then got sidetracked, and never got it installed.

Most of them usually just require you to extract them to your D3 folder then they'll appear in the in-game mods menu, though sometimes they come as simple .pk4 files, in that case you put them inside Doom 3/base and the game will auto-load them.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:35 AM, Lila Feuer said:

I think the game is ignoring the pinky demon's HP raise, I bumped it up from 220 to 520 and it's just as weak as ever. Even tried setting headshot damage scaling to zero, but nothing changed. Every other monster has worked so far.

Aaand I'm still having this problem. I tried 666 as a high test value and fought the one that is scripted in Administration and it dies too quickly, the one after that is the same way. Every other monster has been buffed except for him (the new damage values work though). I wonder why the game is ignoring the health change?

Strange...

Have you created a proper mod pk4 file? Put all your modded files into a zip file (keep folder structure) and rename the .zip to .pk4, then give the pk4 file a name that is alphabetically higher than pak008.pk4, for example "specialmonsters.pk4".

Probably the monster was given set amount of HP in the map. You can open the map in the editor search for the pinky and change the HP

@Tetzlaff Yes the files are using td_improvements_gameplay.pk4 as a base and is one of the last couple of things loaded besides Reznor sounds and alpha shotgun model. I can tell everything else is working, it's just ignoring the pinky health (its damage went up though).

@PaulRazvan95 If that's the case that is a bizarre decision, I can take a look and see if that is the case or not. I could also maybe even give the pinky its own pk4 and have that loaded last as another remedy.

Oh. I just read more of this conversation. I tought you had only the Admin pinky have the HP problem. But if you have the same problem with every pinky that spawns then look in the .pk4s . Try the last pk4s you have, maybe one of them has another ``monster_demon_pinky.def`` that is replacing the one you edited. 

@PaulRazvan95 Thank you dude! It was the fucking Reznor sounds pk4 being the second to last loaded file, it includes defs for several monsters (namely, the ones the new/old sounds correspond to and the Pinky is an offender). That should fix my issue.

Always keep your modified files in the last pk4 to overwrite the other ones (or delete the other ones) If Trent Reznor also has new sounds defined in the def you would have to re-define them in your new def too