Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

How do you play DooM? Keyboard only vs Keyboard + mouse vs controller

How do you play DooM?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What do you usually use to play the original DooM’s these day’s?

• Keyboard only
    • Keyboard + mouse
    • Controller

Hey all :-)

Random one that just popped into my head, how do you play the original DooM games these days?

I play “old School” keyboard only as that is the way I’ve always played it and using the mouse in DooM just feels unnatural to me :-P

Is that just cos I’m an old fart who can’t “get with the times” as the kids say or do some of you also still play keyboard only?

Note: I’m not actually THAT old :-P

Started playing on a DOS emulator so keyboard only.

Then I saw the light with source ports and now exclusively m+kb :P

7 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

all three, because I can.

Errr... weird flex but ok... na jks just playing with ya :-P

Would you say you’re equally proficient with each control style or, if not, which setup do you prefer most / are the most proficient with? 

it really depends on what I am playing Doom on at the moment.

Vanilla? Keyboard only. Sourceports are for KB+M. Since I also play it on Switch, there's the controllers.

Obviously KB+M and KB only are the setup I'm more proficient with, since I am much more used to them than a controller.

2 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

what about keyboard+controller?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TggAAOSwA05ck2Cx/s-l640.jpg

Only mouse and keyboard. I've tried kb only and it makes my brain split in half.

I've also not touched a controller in over 10 years since the only consoles I've ever possessed have been NES clones and once I unfortunately got rid of them, I never bought something else - not like I was allowed to anyway.

Before 2020, I only used keyboard, finding freelook unnecessary (unless in some mods/maps, in which case I used custom-assigned look up/down buttons). Having found out that DOOM was meant to be played with keyboard-mouse even back in its inception, I have since switched to keyboard-mouse.

I voted for Keyboard + Mouse but i also use a controller when playing on consoles. I can't play keyboard only. By the time i started PC gaming the WASD setup and using a mouse were already standard.

When I got my first Doom game about 15 years ago or so, I used to play with Keyboard only. It was much later, after I started playing more multiplayer Doom, that I got in the habit of using Mouse and Keyboard together. Used to play with freelook turned off in the earlier days even when playing with a mouse. Once you get comfortable with freelook in this game, it gets quite difficult to go back and play in servers that have freelook disabled, but that is a whole different topic for debate. Now I play with KB + Mouse with freelook turned on.

I find it very fascinating to see some pro players, in ZDaemon, still playing with Keyboard only to this day. The charm of Classic Doom games is their ability to be played and enjoyed without ever needing a mouse. We all should try to play this wonderful game with KB only, every now and then, as a reminiscent of the old days.

Edited by Rosh Fragger

Started playing with Doom 95. I was a keyboard only player until Quake when I found out you could type +mlook in the console and use the mouse for looking about. Then whenever I started playing with Legacy (99-2000?) I've used keyboard and mouse ever since. I feel at this point I'm not going back to even trying keyboard only, been there done that.

I don't like controllers. I've had a couple for games that required them and I very rarely use them to the point that I don't use them at all...

Keyboard/mouse. PS4 controller on console.

Most megawads are nigh impossible to play properly without the mouse.
You will always get faster and more accurate shots and direction turn with the mouse than any other method.

These days I use a keyboard and mouse, but when I first started playing FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, I just used the keyboard. It wasn't until I started playing Half-Life that I began using the mouse as well. That was quite the learning curve, but I'll never go back, even when playing even older games like Doom. Recently I've also started playing classic Doom with auto-aim completely disabled. I want to hit my targets through pure skill alone.

I've never liked using controllers to play FPS. The Halo series provided a great FPS experience on consoles back in the days when such a thing was rare, and had the added bonus of being able to play with friends in the same room. But now that they're giving that series a proper PC release, I'm looking forward to enjoying those games again using my preferred control input.

Keyboard when I was younger but now it's just uncomfortable after 30 minutes of playtime. So keyboard + mouse it is, but I don't shy away from a gamepad.

Oh wow! These results are actually quite interesting! Although not completely unexpected :-P

16 minutes ago, NoXion said:

These days I use a keyboard and mouse, but when I first started playing FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, I just used the keyboard. It wasn't until I started playing Half-Life that I began using the mouse as well. That was quite the learning curve, but I'll never go back, even when playing even older games like Doom.

I’m the same :-P HL was the game that introduced me to the mouse and have always played everything that has come out since then with mouse and keyboard :-)

That said, for some reason I just can’t do it in DooM and it doesn’t feel right :-P Might just be nostalgia getting in the way :-P

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Having found out that DOOM was meant to be played with keyboard-mouse even back in its inception, I have since switched to keyboard-mouse.

Oh what’s!?! I never knew that and always thought it was “meant” to be played Keyboard only :-P Thanks for the info!

2 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Oh what’s!?! I never knew that and always thought it was “meant” to be played Keyboard only :-P Thanks for the info!

The setup has actually been around since Wolfenstein 3D. There's an entire thread dedicated to debunking the keyboard-only myth.

5 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

The setup has actually been around since Wolfenstein 3D. There's an entire thread dedicated to debunking the keyboard-only myth.

I remember that thread, I also remember playing with kb/m back in the Windows 95 era.

In addition to the original post's question, I pose a "subquestion" which is kinda related...

What keyboard setup do you use for your movement? Traditional arrow keys or the modern A, W, S, D configuration?

I use traditional arrow keys in all FPS games, including Doom: Eternal.

Setup for GZ/Brutal Doom:
Up - Forward
Down - Back
Left - Strafe
Right - Strafe
Enter - jump

Shift - crouch

RAlt - reload

Ctrl - open/use

Delete - Automap
Numberpad - weapons
Autorun on so no need for a run button.
Grenades, flashlight, primary/secondary fire, weapon swap all on the mouse.

@Doom-X-Machina That’s a good idea!

For DooM I use:

wsad = forward, back, strafe

arrow keys = turn

numbers = weapons (none of this fancy pants next / previous stuff :-P)

tab = automap

ctl = shoot

space = use

caps = auto run on / off - usually just leave it on always though :-P

For newer games:

Wsad = same as above

Mouse 1 = shoot

Mouse 2 = secondary fire or scope / aim (depending on game)

shift = sprint

E = use

R = reload

Tab = automap or inventory

F = grenade

G = melee 

V = Autorun

Q = previous weapon 

My new style is kinda a mishmash from games that have influenced me over the years (DooM, Half-life, Fallout NV, etc.) :-P

Edited by DooM Bear

Keyboard + Mouse, I only use my controller when I play games on RPCS3, CEMU or Xenia after borrowing them from that bearded man with an eye patch and hooked arm near the docks. My setup is usually like this.

Edited by sluggard

1 hour ago, ‹rd› said:

My game improved by over 500% when I started using this. 

8FjaG3L.jpg

i want this... but i can't find for sale anywhereee

anyways, keyboard only because im old style, but if you find me one of those... well i m gonna change my point of view

Keyboard+ Mouse.

I used to play with Keyboard only, but that was back in ye olden days. I prefer the smoother game play with the KB+M. I think I switched to that around 2004? Either way, I never went back.

I did play it on the 32x as well as the PSX, so I suppose I should include controller, but I still remember the KB+M being far and beyond the best way to play it in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Keyboard only.

I have a lot of haters for that reason.

Thanks for the morning laugh. I salute your ego.