Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

How do you play DooM? Keyboard only vs Keyboard + mouse vs controller

How do you play DooM?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. What do you usually use to play the original DooM’s these day’s?

• Keyboard only
    • Keyboard + mouse
    • Controller

Depends on where i am at the respective moment. Mouse+Keyboard when i really want to focus on the game and play "seriously", Keyboard only when i'm sitting on the toilet and want to blast some revenants for distraction.

Keyboard only, now and forever. Standard layout.

Right hand - arrow keys

Left hand - shift, alt, ctrl, numbers for weapons, space, tab

On 7/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, Doom-X-Machina said:

Most megawads are nigh impossible to play properly without the mouse.

Hard disagree, but to each their own.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:31 AM, adamadam said:

Once in a while there's an impossible level for example the one in the Scythe megawad where you're on a very tight timer, keyboard-only controls are just far too slow.

Hard, but possible. Had to redo the previous level and end it with 200 health and armor, but then I was able to beat it with keyboard only with -fast monsters, with some health and armor to spare on top. But yeah, from my entire Dooming career, that was the closest it got to being impossible.

Keyboard only for me so far. I might try mouse control when I finally get into playing PWADs.

W - Forward

S - Backward

A - Strafe left

D - Strafe right

Up arrow - Open/activate

Down arrow - Fire

Left arrow - Turn left

Right arrow - Turn right

Shift - Speed/run

Tab - Map

On 7/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, Zolgia108 said:

i want this... but i can't find for sale anywhereee

anyways, keyboard only because im old style, but if you find me one of those... well i m gonna change my point of view

Please remember:Romero is lefthanded! So trackball should go to the right hand....:-)

I have a newfound fascination with keyboard only. I hope it will stay. It's yet another thing that gives this game a unique character.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:48 AM, DooM Bear said:

Why do you say that @lazy91geek?

Sure the question may have been asked in the past at some point but people may have changed the way they play in the last 1, 5, 10 or 20 years :-)

For instance, I honestly expected more keyboard only players but that was just because it was how everyone I knew 15-20 years ago used to play :-)

Yeah, you're right. I think I was just in a pissy mood that day.

4 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

Yeah, you're right. I think I was just in a pissy mood that day.

Hehehehe that’s ok  :-)

I know the feeling well and try not to interact with anyone until I’ve had my second coffee as to make sure I don’t end up in prison XD

Really appreciate the reply :-)

4 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

I've considered trying KB only... worth it?

If you like it, and want to make the game a little harder and give it that arcade feel, sure.

39 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

I use M+KB but I've considered trying KB only... worth it?

I like it but that might be because it’s what I’m used to :-P

Some say they feel there is a benefit to M+KB over just KB but personally I feel there isn’t much difference (can turn a little faster with M+KB and think some tricks like glides are impossible with KB only).

That said another big benefit of KB only is you can play on a laptop anytime, anywhere :-D

Wow! i knew controller players were in the minority but I never though we were as low as 4%. I grew up playing consoles and couldn't play Doom with a mouse / keyboard to save my life. I've tried. 

I tend to agree with the Angry Video Game Nerd: Controller feels like gametime , Mouse / Keyboard feels like worktime.

My maps have been criticised for being too spacious but when I play Doom i feel like most maps are too claustrophobic and i prefer more room to maneuver. I think this might be a controller vs mouse/keyboard issue. 

I'm a keyboarder since my early childhood, and I often do not change my way of controlling those ol' good games from how I am used to over years. So Doom still with keyboard only, as it can be played this way pretty comfortably.

However, I learned to play Quake with keyboard+mouse, because it was very impractical to play with keyboard only.

I've played keyboard-only ever since I had Doom 95 as a kid. I still do on an old dying craptop but I might switch to keyboard+mouse full-time now that I have a new, dedicated gaming laptop that came with its own mouse... There's no better way to get used to the new control setup than with my own maps, after all XD

Tip for anyone looking into keyboard only:

Get a keyboard, on which you don't hit the input limit, preferably mechanical. Most cheap keyboards will beep on you when you try using combinations like ALT + Shift + left and up arrow keys at once, preventing strafe running to the left for example.

https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/

At the link above, you can test how inputs on your keyboard work. Try the combination I mentioned above. If all the keys don't light up, you've hit the limit. Some keyboards only allow a single additional key to be pressed with ALT since they are or the same keyboard matrix line.

I've made this short speedrun video with keyboard only. Overall it's a fun gimmick but it's crazy imprecise and I don't see myself sticking to this control type.

Spoiler

On 7/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, SchwTrdLeenW said:

Depends on where i am at the respective moment. Mouse+Keyboard when i really want to focus on the game and play "seriously", Keyboard only when i'm sitting on the toilet and want to blast some revenants for distraction.

You play Doom in the toilet?

I just use my laptop's keyboard but I play with both. Keyboard only is more confortable and I can play anywhere tho. Some hard levels I have to use "the Mouse" but I try to beat everything I can with Keyboard. I have to say that using Keyboard is harder in maps where ammo is scarce and you need to shoot precisely, and especially when doing platforming.

i really only use mouse a keyboard manly cause keyboard only is kinda awkward for me,and using a controller for me has always felt like a disadvantage since i can aim a lot better with mouse and keyboard

Does any source port have native support for controllers or do you have to tweak around quite a bit to get them to work?

I'm KB+M.

^^^What if they want to recreate their cherished PS experience?

I played with WASD for movement, E for use, and mouse

On 7/11/2020 at 3:55 AM, NoXion said:

Recently I've also started playing classic Doom with auto-aim completely disabled

Sometimes i get annoyed when i had a good run on some level and i realize autoaim was on the whole time.

Ruins the mood for me