Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pixel Fiend

Are there any mods that help you find where to go?

Let's face it. Playing a map becomes more fun once you have an idea which button to press instead of constantly getting lost. Of course, Doom 2 is meant to be hardcore etc etc but I was wondering if theres some way to alleviate the pain of learning how to beat any single level? The two ways I can think of is that mod supermap which shows the entire map with monsters. But it becomes nearly unreadable. You can also turn on showing keys on the map in gzdoom. But there isn't anything that indicates switches, which might be crucial. Anyway, I might not be getting anywhere with this but maybe it's possible. I'm just grateful they streamlined the level design in Doom Eternal a lot. Doom 2 levels are usually too long for me to finish as blind runs. There is another shooter I played recently called "Overload" and it that game you press "z" which sends out a beacon that you can just follow and I clearly see it's a big blessing to have.

Ah, but mate, part of the fun of exploring a Doom map is their non-linear nature that encourages exploration and trying to figure out their progression, kind of like a light puzzle. Getting lost in a map can be a little frustrating sure, and I've even quit some because of it, but it's all about sharpening your observation skills and recalling certain textures mappers use to indicate elevators and perhaps a cheeky button or skull switch you may have missed. 

I actually play tons of puzzle games; Cosmic Express, The Black Watchmen, Into The Breach, The Witness, Opus Magnum, even Myst-likes a bit. And I agree with you, it's a cool thing that Doom is so heavy on puzzles but, I don't know, they become bit of a chore here, especially with all the monsters in the way.

Check out mf8's toolbox, where you can find the "Hellscape Navigator" which adds a ton of functionality to help you get through confusing map layouts and or key-/switch hunts.

And yes, that is part of the fun of Doom, running around, looking for that one switch. But it's only fun up to a certain point and then I just want to progress, especially when I get the feeling that the map is not entirely fair and the switch too hidden or inaccesible, etc.

If you're using GZDoom, you can set the automap to show trigger lines. I've found that useful for locating switches.

IDDT x2 :)

But seriously (or not?): What I really would love is a mod that gives you light hints about secrets and key areas after a time. I sometimes would like something betweeen "continue searching" and IDDT/reading or viewing a walkthrough/demo. For example, if you don't find a secret area after X time, it could change the lighting in the adyacent areas, or slightly change a texture nearby, but without being too direct. Shouldn't be too difficult to code.

@elend: Hellscape Navigator looks good, thanks!