Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

In Your Opinion, What Would You Say Is The Most Non-Linear Wad Ever?

To me, it probably is Eternal Doom, although I still have a lot of stuff yet to play.

Eternal Doom and NEIS.

ED was fun to me, NEIS not so much.

Eternal Doom has some linear levels (MAP06 and MAP32 come to mind), heck the only non-linear maps I can think of are the bigger puzzlers like MAP03, MAP12, MAP31, and MAP20.

Most city levels come to mind as far as non-linear goes.

REKKR had some really non linear sprawling maps that are huge puzzles to solve at the same time.

For me, some of the best maps design since BTSX

Castevil.wad , a single map for ultimate doom with more than 40 secrets.  Very impressive 1994 map

Urania and maybe Struggle?

It's hard to measure how much non-linear a map is haha

Plutonia 2. I remember getting lost in so many levels, though maybe I'll have to replay it.

A.L.T. has to be up there. I got so bored with it I didn't even make it through half the maps. I had it running on my Zandronum server, had like 8 people join, everyone got frustrated after 2 maps and left. I changed the server to a different map set.

Can't Run From Evil and 4 Seasons of Doom. The first one was even more non-linear in the beta stage, when MAP01 had no keys at all (in the final version there is a blue keycard).

No one is talking about lost civilization? I played the first few levels of it and it's so nonlinear that there are multiples of the same key (3 key exit switch type maps) in each level. I dont recall how to correctly calculate permutations but I *think* it is 720 different ways to do a map. You would have 6 different keys to order 6 different ways, with order in mind. 

As far as an individual levels go, when I think of a nonlinear map "In Flight" from sunlust comes to mind. In that map you find different switches around the map that open yellow keys, which spawn in different enemies.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:27 PM, Roofi said:

Castevil.wad , a single map for ultimate doom with more than 40 secrets.  Very impressive 1994 map

Yeah, that one's goddamn massive.  It's on Maximum Doom, and I noped out of playing it when I saw Deathstalker 667 (a true Youtube Doom legend) do a blind walkthrough of SS27BET2, a previous version, that is still frickin' huge: - 

Preacher is probably the most nonlinear I've played. Each map starts with a teleporter that takes you to one of many different start locations around the map, so naturally there are many paths you can take. Some maps have more of a predefined progression than others, but I think the later maps (map 05 onwards) are all very freeform in nature, with little more than three keys and the weapons and secrets scattered around the map to dictate how you approach them. The layouts flow in such a way that reminds me of deathmatch maps, usually with multiple paths to or from any given area, and with monsters freely roaming around much of the map.

The IWAD maps attributed to Tom Hall also stand out to me, such as Map 10 from Doom II (Refueling Base).