Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

18 minutes ago, auxo said:

How does UV max work with a monster spawner? Do you need to keep track which monster are spawned in? I remember in the IWADs there are only a few monsters in the Icon of Sin room, but in other WADs there could be lots.

Yes, you need to in a way. All the originally placed monsters must be killed before exiting the map. The monsters spawned after the activation don't need to be killed.

However, without advanced HUD from PrBoom+ or something like that, there's no way to know whether you actually did this for those messy maps (eg: Ancient Aliens Map18). In PrBoom+, there's a thing called "smart total", so you will know whether you killed the original monsters at least once, BUT, but, there's a twist... this doesn't tell you whether one of the original monsters got resurrected by Arch-viles... so if you introduce Arch-viles into the mix, that will be even more messy...

This is an old video of my run of AA Map18 (got beaten by a wide margin now...), and I used smart total on the HUD, so you can see I killed all 237 monsters before exiting, but there are a bunch of spawned Cacos that I left alive.

25 minutes ago, auxo said:

How does UV max work with a monster spawner? Do you need to keep track which monster are spawned in? I remember in the IWADs there are only a few monsters in the Icon of Sin room, but in other WADs there could be lots.

As far as I know you just need to kill the monsters that were originally in the level.

here's one I've been wondering for a while, now. Who is the most famous person in the DOOM Community (not including members that are or were once part of ID)?

23 hours ago, Ant1 said:

Also, what are the "static limits" of the Doom engine? I use Crispy Doom to get a slightly boosted resolution and so I can see when I find a secret, but other than those two things I try to keep it as close to vanilla as possible. How close to vanilla am I?

This is literally on the Doom Wiki: Static limits.

I highly implore anyone asking questions of this nature to check if its on the wiki first.

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

What's the difference between an Administrator and a Super Moderator? 

• One makes you his bitch.
  • The other one kicks your ass.
4 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

here's one I've been wondering for a while, now. Who is the most famous person in the DOOM Community (not including members that are or were once part of ID)?

Usually the owners, and most likely Linguica.

25 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I'm going to say @Andrew Hulshult.

@Gez who? I looked at his profile and there was nothing. I'm going to assume it was a joke. It probably was. 

4 hours ago, Wagi said:

"Static limits" refers to limits in the original Doom that prevent certain maps or scenarios from working properly. In Vanilla Doom, you are limited to viewing 256 drawsegs (walls, ledges), 128 drawsprites (enemies, items), and 128 visplanes (floors, ceilings). If more than this number is viewed at any given time, the game will simply not display the excess in the case of sprites and drawsegs, and will crash outright in the case of visplanes.

There are also static limits that affect gameplay, such as the infamous "intercepts overflow" which can cause every object in the game to suddenly lose collision detection.

These are called "static limits" because they are stored in an array that never changes size.

Crispy Doom fixes most of Doom's static limits but also will emulate certain ones in order to ensure that demos recorded in Vanilla Doom play back exactly as they did when they were recorded. It is identical to the original game gameplay-wise unless you turn on weird settings like jumping.

Other ports, like PrBoom, will play exactly like Vanilla but only if you turn on certain compatibility settings (called a complevel). Other ports like GZDoom will never play identically no matter what settings you use.

Thank you a ton! I'm glad I'm getting the Vanilla experience :)

Does Crispy Doom leave in visual bugs like the Medusa and tutti frutti effects? If not, what’s a good limit-removing port that does?

Just now, Faceman2000 said:

Does Crispy Doom leave in visual bugs like the Medusa and tutti frutti effects? If not, what’s a good limit-removing port that does?

Yes it does! As long as you don't enable fixes :)

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Jimmy’s gotta be on his way up there, what with his large involvement in three of the five addons id has released.

Probably 4shockblast or Zero Master. Tons of popular videos explaining their runs have come out recently which has boosted the popularity of both the game and the runners.

@Redneckerz Thanks mate! I'm happy to know that the members on Doomworld would gladly abuse a minor. 

Only when said minor does not get the joke or reference.

In all other cases, the accused needs to follow a course "Searching Doom: A one stop guide to finding the answers you seek" to use the search function better.

Don't mind this post, the text editor likes to go bonkers when doing quotes for some reason.

Edited by ButteredToast

On 7/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

Sorry for going off topic, but I have to point out this,

image.png.256a6016a6c69d8bb670ad0c154a382a.png

Seriously, this is hysterical. 

Also, should I rename this topic to "The 'Ask a Simple DOOM Question' Thread", because it isn't official, but I feel like it sounds stupid with the "an" instead of "the".

I swear, If I ever get a custom title, I'll just keep it as "warming up".

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Almost certainly people with popular or at least semi-popular YouTube channels who are part of the greater classic Doom community, but aren’t often seen around here specifically. Decino instantly comes to mind.

7 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Because im in Australia and our internet fucking sucks.

Tell me about it, I’ve been living here since 2008! I actually run servers in California to make the game at least playable for people living on AUS’ east coast. It’s certainly better than connecting to UK or Russia servers, at least..

37 minutes ago, ButteredToast said:

Don't mind this post, the text editor likes to go bonkers when doing quotes for some reason.

27 minutes ago, ButteredToast said:

Jesus The posting system is weird, I clicked save and it told me to wait 30 seconds but it still posted it.

Are you using an editor like Grammarly, because the same thing happened to me. I ended up turning it off after somebody mentioned to me that it was impossible to quote me. 

35 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Are you using an editor like Grammarly, because the same thing happened to me. I ended up turning it off after somebody mentioned to me that it was impossible to quote me. 

first one was because of grammarly, second one was probably some network issue.

Were there any WADs before ORIGWAD, because it was a PWAD, so there could have been some IWADs somewhere, somehow (though I HIGHLY doubt it) or another PWAD that was like secretly hidden that nobody noticed until now. Only a couple of days later, CROSS.WAD was released, so what are the chances that people had created the first WADs alongside each other. the DOOM Wiki's first paragraph says, 

Origwad is a very early user-created Doom level, designed by Jeffrey Bird of the James Cook University in North Queensland. It does not have an official name, and is stored with the filename ORIGWAD.PWD. The level is notable for being perhaps the very first user-created map. A release announcement was posted to alt.games.doom on March 9, 1994; the time stamp and the readme file both indicate March 7.

I highlighted perhaps, as it shows that it is not certain that this was the first WAD. Also, perhaps means there is a chance, not a high or low chance, just a chance. I remember hearing somewhere that there might have been a WAD released Jan. 26, 1994. Though, that date might be false.  Have you seen any earlier WADs than the ORIGWAD Pwad?

13 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

This is an old video of my run of AA Map18 (got beaten by a wide margin now...), and I used smart total on the HUD, so you can see I killed all 237 monsters before exiting, but there are a bunch of spawned Cacos that I left alive.

Ok, that it exactly the map why I got that question XD, thanks for answering. So how does PrBoom+'s smart total deal with arch-vile revives? Does it increase the total then?

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Were there any WADs before ORIGWAD, because it was a PWAD, so there could have been some IWADs somewhere

Yes, there was DOOM1.WAD v0.99 which was the first publicly-released IWAD.

What is the "sneaky mode" in chocorenderlimits source port?

Is this a simple enough question?

10 hours ago, auxo said:

Ok, that it exactly the map why I got that question XD, thanks for answering. So how does PrBoom+'s smart total deal with arch-vile revives? Does it increase the total then?

No, it doesn't increase. Using AA Map18 to explain, there are 2 type of total for PrBoom+:

Smart total (but it's also not that smart) will say K 0/237 at the beginning, the number will only increase when an original monsters is killed. However, if any of these monsters got resurrect, the number won't decrease. Let's say if you are at 50/237, and you killed an Imp and got up to 51. Then if that Imp got resurrected, you're still at 51/237 (you're supposed to be at 50). Later you kill the Imp again, you'll still stay at 51. Therefore, even you're at 237/237, you can only safely say "you killed every original monsters at least once", and you can't guarantee that "every original monsters are dead at the moment".

Not-so-smart total (but it's also not dumb :P) will say K 0 M 237 at the beginning to show you how many monsters are placed. Whenever you kill something, K will increase by 1 and M will decrease by 1. However, the problem is that M shows living monsters, including things spawned by the IoS, so the total of K + M will be beyond 237 at the end of the map. However, when something got resurrected in this case, K will decrease by 1 and M will increase by 1. For non-IoS maps, this is a better way to know whether you Max-ed the map since you must kill resurrected things.

16 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Is this a simple enough question?

Yes! I don't know the answer to it, but as long as the question can only have one answer (which it does), then it is considered simple (to me, at least). I made this thread to cut down on the threads where people are like, "Hey, was there ever plan for a pistol pickup?" which gets 3 replies, then just stays there for the rest of eternity. 

Edit: Oh, also, I have a question. Does the 2020 re-release of DOOM 64 allow modding on PC?

Edited by LiT_gam3r