Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

Why is Doom's ticrate 35 Hz? Why that number, and not 30 or 40 or 60 or something else?

I'd been wondering about that for some time, and made a note to ask it here, but between then and now, I came across the answer purely by chance: apparently 70 Hz was normal for CRTs of the time when Doom was developed? And 35 is simply half that.

I suppose if they had used 60 Hz monitors at Id, Doom would've wound up at 30 fps instead? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Is there a Full listing of NON-DeHacked (aka True Vanilla/Chocolate compatible DOOM I and II map sets/wads out there that would work for the 64Doom (Nintendo 64 Port) - this port is still being updated, as of August 2020

Thanks.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:32 AM, ImpieEyez95 said:

Is there a Full listing of NON-DeHacked

I could only find a list of Vanilla compatible WADs here. I'm not sure if they can all run on 64Doom. It might help deduct the ones that aren't Vanilla compatible.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, Rainne said:

Why is Doom's ticrate 35 Hz? Why that number, and not 30 or 40 or 60 or something else?

I'd been wondering about that for some time, and made a note to ask it here, but between then and now, I came across the answer purely by chance: apparently 70 Hz was normal for CRTs of the time when Doom was developed? And 35 is simply half that.

I suppose if they had used 60 Hz monitors at Id, Doom would've wound up at 30 fps instead? 🤷🏻‍♀️

You pretty much answered your own question there.

Refresh rates had more variety back then, 60, 70, 72, 75, 80, and well beyond that depending on resolution, even up to a whopping 344, so Doom running at a ticrate of 35 was nothing unusual, unlike nowadays when it's three common refresh rates, more or less, 60, 144, or 200 and 240 more recently. There were no standards back then after all.

hey guys! where can i find a full list of every doom2 sound names for slade? I'm looking in particular for the exit the game sound, but for other ones as well. Is there a list somewhere? thanks as usual!

On 7/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, cambreaKer said:

why is hell on earth?

because they didn't want it on mars

On 7/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, Archanhell said:

Why does the Cyberdemon have such booty?

I'd like to know that too...and... does he need to work out often to maintain it?

On 7/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Why was Doom 3 in Mars when Doom 2 was on Earth?

it was simply mars turn to throw a party

On 7/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

What is the difference between Hell Knight and Baron of Hell?

Why do they have different names?

their stats and skin are different.. plus barons spend more time on the golf course, so they have less time than knights to train their booty

On 7/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Zolgia108 said:

ok then, maybe not a simple question but since noone answered me on the topic i will try here:

i would like to add more monster corspes as decoration, so as a decorate file, i would love being able to place dead barons and dead hell knights for example. How can i do that? thanks :)

use decorate to make a new actor for the monster you want to place a body of, then find out what sprites he needs to display the body and then copy an entry for an existing static object or body and replace the sprite references with the ones matching the monster

On 7/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, CacoMaster64 said:

Hey what's that yellow thing on Demon's legs?

image.png.b39c9b292b8826b69ab86a0f236371d3.png

he would rather not say.... but... lets just say, he should've worn a diaper

On 7/28/2020 at 12:36 PM, Redneckerz said:

Here you go.

In the commandline (So a commandline prompt). This is assuming Chocolate Doom and not a launcher (You didn't specify one)

alternatively.. in a cmd or bat file (if in dos or windows)

On 7/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

From www.resetera.com,

I guess Duke was 3d, or it was also an illusion. 

life.... is an illusion :D

On 7/29/2020 at 10:11 AM, dragon's influence said:

the way the levels work, levels in doom are 2D or 2.5D and you can't put 2 rooms one above the other without glithy behaviour... and colison errors "you can do cool stuff if you know what you are doing... like deep water in vanilla", advanced sorce ports like gzdoom have tricks to make one room below/above the other... like plataforms "3dfloors" and teleports... "sorry for that english, i don't have auto-correct in my phone"

yes, portals and 3D floors... awesome stuff :D

On 7/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, dragon's influence said:

lost souls are evil spirits, and pain elementals eat lost souls for lunch! ^.=.^

does that mean that pain elementals vomit lost souls at you when they get mad? how icky :D

1 hour ago, CBM said:

alternatively.. in a cmd or bat file (if in dos or windows)

CMD is a command prompt :P

You can edit your post when quoting multiple people instead of making 4 seperate posts. The latter can be seen as spamming. :)

1 hour ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

1 second in "Doom time" is 35 tics correct?

Yep.

@CBM please stop spamming. If you want to quote multiple posts, use the multi-quote. It gets very annoying. 

On vendredi 7 août 2020 at 2:14 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

Are there any WADs based off of the DOOM Comics location?

Yes.

There's this one, for example:

I remember also seeing one for ZDoom which had scripts pulling various quotes from the comic at relevant points of your progress (such as "sweet christmas!" when the cacodemons appear) but I didn't find it back.

@Gez how interesting! It must be hard to make a map based off of something else, especially the comic. to be totally based off of the comic, I think Dehacked would have to be a major point of the map. This seems cool, though. Great find!

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

CMD is a command prompt :P

You can edit your post when quoting multiple people instead of making 4 seperate posts. The latter can be seen as spamming. :)

yes sorry, shouldve done that instead

in windows 10 you can make files with the .cmd extension that more or less works like bat files

@HitBoi64 it's his armor. it is cut into 2, creating the appearance of blood from his mouth. here's a picture of it.

image.png.509472146ee0d1aa061f0876b70dd638.png

You can see that it actually never touches his mouth. 

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@HitBoi64 it's his armor. it is cut into 2, creating the appearance of blood from his mouth. here's a picture of it.

image.png.509472146ee0d1aa061f0876b70dd638.png

You can see that it actually never touches his mouth. 

I didn't mean why he "Spits" Blood, Anyway good answer, I already solve my Question as a Child. And i was just comparing Peoples' answer to mine (:

I was browsing Romero's store, which I knew I would never buy anything from, since a lot of it is expensive. But, scrolling down, I found a 1000 euro (about 1183 US dollars) disk of DOOM 2 version 1.7

image.png.0d22b72cae211c38d16bad8a26686059.png 

Why is this so expensive? He marks it as a collectible, but isn't this just a regular disk? I don't know. I'm not a collector, but maybe somebody could explain to me the high price.

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Why is this so expensive? He marks it as a collectible, but isn't this just a regular disk? I don't know. I'm not a collector, but maybe somebody could explain to me the high price.

The most distributed version is v1.9, with all other previous versions having since become a rarity.

13 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I was browsing Romero's store, which I knew I would never buy anything from, since a lot of it is expensive. But, scrolling down, I found a 1000 euro (about 1183 US dollars) disk of DOOM 2 version 1.7

image.png.0d22b72cae211c38d16bad8a26686059.png 

It's a rare version. 

And if the floppies are original, then they surely are collectors items. 

Would a GZDoom enhanced version of freedoom 1 and 2 maps be a cool project?

I have actually played around a little with map 01 from freedoom 2... around an hour this morning, making 3D floors, swimable nukage, dynamic lights etc... have yet to add polyobject doors though

It does enhance the look of the level in my view.