Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

13 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Can I expect a decent performance from Doom Eternal on my system? Doom 2016 runs okay at the settings pictured here. The framerate does stutter from time to time but it's never unplayable.DoomGraphicsSettings.png.e7c4b64e44ff86f77cb3c81bd0ad57ff.pngGPU.png.b8753f489337bbb600884361a176125c.pngCPU.png.70c190a81eb29e1276a2aca00e933e87.png

Hmmmm... I think you are right on the edge. I think your graphics card might be an issue. Admittedly, I can’t say for sure though!

I would say grab DooM eternal when it’s on sale just to be safe :-)

Additionally, I have an old 1050Ti (only has about 3 months of overclocked use on it while I was building my PC / saving for a 1080 - this is back when 1080s cost like $1000AUD) so if you do find you have FPS issues and want it, let me know and I’ll ship it out to you in the hope that makes it more playable :-) It’s not doing me any good sitting in my closet and happy to share the love with another DooM fan :-D

14 hours ago, xzotikk said:

Is there any difference between UV-Fast and Nightmare, apart from the respawning monsters?

Someone said NM gives 2x the ammo, but also the cheat codes are disabled.

1 hour ago, FabulousDoom said:

Does anybody else use crosshair?

I do. But I also use auto-aim so the crosshair isn't even pointing at whatever it is I'm shooting at most times :D

1 hour ago, FabulousDoom said:

Yes, I find it really helpful as I like to play with freelook. I make it a small as possible white dot - after all, guns have sights...

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

Yes, I find it really helpful as I like to play with freelook. I make it a small as possible white dot - after all, guns have sights...

Damn I'm probably the only person who's using a large green triangle crosshair. It feels more satisfying to me.

6 hours ago, FabulousDoom said:

On 7/13/2020 at 12:01 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

2. make sure it is a question that can only get one possible answer

25 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

What's the difference between DECORATE and ZSCRIPT?

The ZDoom wiki is your friend. (tl;dr: ZScript is a straight upgrade to Decorate in many ways).

22 hours ago, DOEL said:

I have one! Is it possible to replace the SSG sprites in the IWAD? I don't want any mechanical changes just the aesthetic, I want it to work when I'm playing on a vanilla Zandronum server or while I record a demo with GLBoom+.

SSG is easily my most used weapon and the shadowing on the right barrel has irked me for as long as I can remember. It just doesn't look *right*.

Here is the sprites replacement I use all the time, it comes from the PSX Doom TC.

ssg2.wad

SHT2A0.png

Is there an objective "best" control scheme for Ultimate Doom/Doom II?

Also, what are the "static limits" of the Doom engine? I use Crispy Doom to get a slightly boosted resolution and so I can see when I find a secret, but other than those two things I try to keep it as close to vanilla as possible. How close to vanilla am I?

On 7/14/2020 at 4:41 AM, xzotikk said:

Is there any difference between UV-Fast and Nightmare, apart from the respawning monsters?

Double ammo and monsters have 0 reaction time delay (I.e. chaingunners will start shooting as soon as they spot you) :-D

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The ZDoom wiki is your friend. (tl;dr: ZScript is a straight upgrade to Decorate in many ways).

Thank you!

1 hour ago, CacoMaster64 said:

Hey what's that yellow thing on Demon's legs?

image.png.b39c9b292b8826b69ab86a0f236371d3.png

Scales.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Thank you!

On 7/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Is 100% health start in a next level allowed in CyberDreams Megawad?

It's allowed in all megawads, but you'll have to give up everything except your pistol and 50 bullets.

It's called a "pistol start", which is the opposite of "continuous play" where your starting resources are determined by what you saved in the last level.

5 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Thank you!

It's allowed in all megawads, but you'll have to give up everything except your pistol and 50 bullets.

It's called a "pistol start", which is the opposite of "continuous play" where your starting resources are determined by what you saved in the last level.

The problem is you are always with pistol in cyberdreams so you dont need to give up anything for 100 percent health as you dont have any weapon in that megawad.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:14 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

The problem is you are always with pistol in cyberdreams so you dont need to give up anything for 100 percent health as you dont have any weapon in that megawad.

Then what's the problem, pistol starting isn't considered cheating so I guess you can pistol start?

7 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Then what's the problem, pistol starting isn't considered cheating so I guess you can pistol start?

In some way it is cheating, if you think it. For example, i start the map with just 1% and then i pistol start, i will have 100%.

But well, its the same as let yourself die and then start the map withour reloading.
So yeah, now you know, loosing is cheating in Doom.

:P

True Doomers pistol start every map by exiting the previous map wasting all their ammo until they just have 50 bullets, they like to step on damage dealing floors so yeah we can say they had substance abuse problems, and like to splash damage themselves with the rockets.
That way ue oll wacko here @_@

17 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Because im in Australia and our internet fucking sucks.

I heard that electricity in Australia doesnt go.

It goes in Turkey.

We have an eng teacher from australia who was saying welcome to Turkey whenever electricity went.

19 hours ago, Ant1 said:

Also, what are the "static limits" of the Doom engine? I use Crispy Doom to get a slightly boosted resolution and so I can see when I find a secret, but other than those two things I try to keep it as close to vanilla as possible. How close to vanilla am I?

"Static limits" refers to limits in the original Doom that prevent certain maps or scenarios from working properly. In Vanilla Doom, you are limited to viewing 256 drawsegs (walls, ledges), 128 drawsprites (enemies, items), and 128 visplanes (floors, ceilings). If more than this number is viewed at any given time, the game will simply not display the excess in the case of sprites and drawsegs, and will crash outright in the case of visplanes.

There are also static limits that affect gameplay, such as the infamous "intercepts overflow" which can cause every object in the game to suddenly lose collision detection.

These are called "static limits" because they are stored in an array that never changes size.

Crispy Doom fixes most of Doom's static limits but also will emulate certain ones in order to ensure that demos recorded in Vanilla Doom play back exactly as they did when they were recorded. It is identical to the original game gameplay-wise unless you turn on weird settings like jumping.

Other ports, like PrBoom, will play exactly like Vanilla but only if you turn on certain compatibility settings (called a complevel). Other ports like GZDoom will never play identically no matter what settings you use.

19 hours ago, Ant1 said:

Is there an objective "best" control scheme for Ultimate Doom/Doom II?

No. There are so many different control scheme out there for different players. You may try using somebody's scheme to see whether it fits yourself. Everybody has different hands, and even the size of your hand could change the control scheme for you. When you're talking something complicated like SR50 where you are required to press 4 keys at once, it's guaranteed to have many setups out there.

49 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

True Doomers pistol start every map by exiting the previous map wasting all their ammo until they just have 50 bullets

Technically this is 50-bullet start instead of pistol start since you keep all your weapons. True Doomer doesn't exit the map, they exit the game :P

23 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

How do I block someone on Doomworld?

Hover your mouse cursor over somebody's ID, and there'll be a "Ignore User" button.

21 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

How do I block someone on Doomworld?

really easy. First, hit the top right corner1019520049_Screenshot2020-07-15at12_50_11PM.png.e8e9c1a176c6aacba9b2e659e62afbd2.png

then, click on ignored users1414239044_Screenshot2020-07-15at12_50_23PM.png.ec5ad61872903aef4692f5bbf6ecb349.png

here, you can type in a users. now, choose how you want to block the person2048420339_Screenshot2020-07-15at12_52_55PM.png.dd7ccec2de56fdaa95acf99407babd3e.png

Click add user and you are done!

What's the difference between an Administrator and a Super Moderator? 

How does UV max work with a monster spawner? Do you need to keep track which monster are spawned in? I remember in the IWADs there are only a few monsters in the Icon of Sin room, but in other WADs there could be lots.