69 members have voted

1. 1. Which way do you explore maps?

• Always / mostly heading left
    • Always / mostly heading right
    • Straight through the middle
    • Absolutely random

where_to0mjgy.png

How do you tackle map exploration?

Whilst mapping I was wondering recently, which room players are most likely to see first. Personally I usually try to explore rooms located to my right first. It's a habit I took while playing Wolfenstein 3D, which was very mazey and thus my brother recommended me to "always go along the right wall, and you'll find your way out". Obviously "always heading right" doesn't work once you start "on an island" of map geometry, but then I usually go straight for the next best wall and then stick to that and always navigate to the right. Only in very obvious progression hints do I dare break from this path.

Now during mapping I was wondering how many people actually do that. Is it the majority of players? Is it just me? Would love to hear some input from frequent players how they navigate maps to maybe get some useful info out of this, regarding mapping, and where to put set pieces / visual hints, etc.

Absolutely random for me :-D

Up until looking for secrets that is. Then I look for places that look like a good place to hide a secret and make passionate love to every wall I can find :-P

I just use the AutoMap to find trigger lines and unexplored areas, if I get stuck doing my usual routine of aimlessly wandering around. The rotating overlay map in GZDoom is pretty cool for this, makes me feel like a proper space marine with a fancy head-up display.

Absolutely random for me as well, depending on what catches my attention, and I almost never use the Automap since I can never put it to good use.

35 minutes ago, elend said:

Personally I usually try to explore rooms located to my right first. It's a habit I took while playing Wolfenstein 3D, which was very mazey and thus my brother recommended me to "always go along the right wall, and you'll find your way out". Obviously "always heading right" doesn't work once you start "on an island" of map geometry, but then I usually go straight for the next best wall and then stick to that and always navigate to the right. Only in very obvious progression hints do I dare break from this path.

Same. But I always go left, because I used to read the text from left to right. :D

Sometimes, if I'm presented with multiple avenues, I'll deliberately spin my mouse around in a circle for a few seconds then let momentum decide where I should go. :P

The path of least resistance.

I usually go either left or right before going down the middle, unless the middle is looking more interesting and or less dangerous. I probably lean more to the right... but it could be more random. lol

As far as I know, I could be going left 90% of the time or right 90% of the time, but I pay no attention to it, so I voted "absolutely random".

Of course, if I see any particular items or enemies in one direction, that can influence the decision. I voted assuming that isn't the case.

the left is the way of the heart.

Thats what a communist friend of mine would said.

For me is also the left, but not because im communist, just because i sleep with my head to the left, read from left to right (most of the time, but manga is the opposite), and also because left hand is my shield hand in case of emergency.

Varies based on the situations presented, In Doom I'll typically take the path that feels like I'm best equipped to take - if one path seems to have a lot of hitscan enemies but I'm lacking a chaingun I might opt to go in another direction, for example.

In a maze-like situation I always take the left hand wall and follow it until it loops, similar to how OP takes the right wall. One example where this was useful was cave exploration in minecraft, heh. If I placed my torches on the left hand wall I'd know to follow them on the right if I needed to leave, or if I circled back onto my own previously explored path

I've never consciously thought about this before, but there is some consistency in the madness when it comes to personal exploration habits. Similar to what Dragonfly said, I go where I'm equipped to go. If I'm pistol starting, I usually look for weapons and move around semi-randomly based on what kind of resources I can see and the opposition faced there. 

If I'm fully equipped, first I usually clear out the areas in which I can safely backtrack. If I see a ledge too steep or a door that needs opening, I usually skip those until all other "open" avenues have been explored. If I'm presented with two paths, I choose one based on my pistol start strategy. If they're equally "interesting" and seem to have the same sort of resources available and both prevent me from backtracking, I just choose one that seems "better" based on a myriad of small things that are almost impossible to analyze due to their fleeting nature and reliance on my general mood.

There could be some interesting unconscious habits though :P

Quite frankly, I am a bit surprised by so many people exploring seemingly at random, although most of those seem to look specifically for weapons or the path of least resistance at first. Maybe something I should have considered in my poll.

Also quite surprising to me is the argument "reading from left to right". I mean, I do that too, yet I am right-handed and... it feels more proper to me, to explore right bits first. Heh. Interesting answers so far.

20 minutes ago, elend said:

Quite frankly, I am a bit surprised by so many people exploring seemingly at random, although most of those seem to look specifically for weapons or the path of least resistance at first. Maybe something I should have considered in my poll.

Also quite surprising to me is the argument "reading from left to right". I mean, I do that too, yet I am right-handed and... it feels more proper to me, to explore right bits first. Heh. Interesting answers so far.

I should clarify that I only do the left-to-right thing when it's multiple branching paths that are cleanly delineated from each other. Often the dividing lines between different parts of a map aren't so clear, so in that case I just take the path of least resistance 

Typically random, I just like to go with the flow. My tactical approach would be to clear an entire "sector" that is uniformly connected BEFORE trying any doors.

I think I read somewhere that people in Western societies tend to go left first when there's no obvious "correct" path, so I ticked the "left" option.

I generally pick the left room/door. I find the fancy weapons/items are usually in the left path. 

Edit: Somewhat odd to see more people take the left path over the right (I'm also right-handed, yet never go right first).

I honestly thought the vast majority would take the right door/path when deciding. Hmm, that means I haven't been taking the path least trodden all these years...apparently, everyone else was already doing it.

Maybe we all have the same idea? As in 'mapper probably expects me to go right, which means he put the best stuff on the left'. That or Phobus is correct and it's a Western thing.

Edited by Final Verdict

Typically, I pick what will lead to the smallest room. Explore sidepaths first, then the main stuff. I hate fighting through a huge room filled with demons, and then walking into the room next to it and finding an Invulnerability. Or in the case of Quake, spending all my nails on a Shambler, and finding a Quad Damage in the next room.

When going in absolutely blind, left-to-right. If I already know the level I forego this rule and trace a route that allows me to max the level as quickly as possible.

I learned at a very young age that I could find every area in Wolf3D if I just went left, then left, then left again, and then left some more. It's stuck with me for a while now, although I'm sure there are exceptions where I (unconsciously) pick right, for example if there's a bunch of Barons or something to the left.

To the left or to the right. I usually leave center to the end if it looks risky, but usually just from left to right or from right to left.

Edited by sluggard

All else being equal (to my knowledge at the point), I usually go left over right, but if there are enough options, I will often use the automap and go north and then clockwise.

I usually decide based on what is presented to me. In the case above, I would go left since I see a medikit and a box of bullets there. Also a Shotgun Guy which is another 4 shells.

I don't follow any universal rule so picking random. But I guess I would be the least likely to go middle. I like to secure the flanks first. Don't want to run into a room and get swarmed from all sides.

I think I explore randomly but it would be interesting for... someone with more time than me... to go back through my videos and see if there’s actually a huge bias one way or the other. In the shot above I think I’d go left simply because it’s bigger and draws the eye more.

The only "rule" I seem to stick to here is that if Path A looks like an obvious way forward (in terms of progressing towards the exit), I will choose Path B first. Gotta explore every nook and cranny, yo. :P

Something always tells me, that the left side is the first side, so I always go left first.

3 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Typically, I pick what will lead to the smallest room. Explore sidepaths first, then the main stuff.

I usually do the same, exploration comes first. My other rule of thumb is also to pick the route that is closer to where I came from, even more if I'm at the start of a level, and preferably I'd tackle a path that doesn't lead too much lead too much into the depths of the layout so I can have a better chance to stack up with goodies or find the weapons I need and it helps to build the image of the map to understand the layout.