Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

What "Lost Media" are you interested in?

Renegade 2 has some interesting concept art that seems to imply that they were either trying to bring the Tiberium and Red Alert universes back together, or produced some new alternate history timeline. The sketches had some sort of post-apocalyptic look to them, and there was a cool Nod/sickle-without-hammer (IIRC) hybrid logo with the words "Unity, Brotherhood" in Russian.

I'm not sure if any of these cancelled games would turn out good though. The original Renegade was already rough enough, albeit still enjoyable, but if you look at the previews and some development shots it seems like it was supposed to be a far more ambitious game with more emphasis on stealth and depictions of large-scale military conflict (closer to what a Commando from the original C&C would experience) compared to the relatively straightforward Doom-esque FPS where you simply mow down everything that moves with a ridiculously huge arsenal of weapons.

You could add the very early prototype of Command & Conquer that was about wizards ("Command & Conquer: Fortress of Stone").

Did it ever exist in any tangible form beyond maybe some very early prototype? I remember various former Westwood people mentioning it, including Joe Bostic or Brett Sperry (?), but in some very vague terms. Admittedly I don't remember what was said about it in the lengthy C&C postmortem video that was released a couple years ago, maybe that went into a bit more detail. I only recall the story of how they coded in the dinosaurs behind the project leader's back.

Alot of you know about the planned contests for the Atari 2600 game franchise SwordQuest from the 1980s, with a planned series of four games, EarthWorld, FireWorld, WaterWorld & AirWorld. Each game were packed with a comic book, and each game would have a different prize, there would've been an ultimate prize.

The prizes for each game were to be as follows:

- Earthworld: The "Talisman of Penultimate Truth", an 18-karat solid gold disc studded with 12 diamonds and the birthstones of the 12 Zodiac signs, along with a miniature white gold sword set atop it.

- Fireworld: The "Chalice of Light", a goblet made of platinum and gold studded with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, pearls, and a green jade.

- Waterworld: The "Crown of Life", a solid gold crown decorated with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and aquamarines.

- Airworld: The "Philosopher’s Stone", a large piece of white jade in an 18-karat gold box encrusted with emeralds, rubies, and diamonds.

- The four winners would then have competed in a final contest to win the ultimate prize, "The Sword of Ultimate Sorcery" with a silver blade and an 18-carat gold handle covered with diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, and rubies, that was valued at US$50,000

Unfortunately, the timing couldn't be any worse. The Video Game Crash of 1983 simply tarnished Atari's reputation & ability to keep the contest & franchise going and only three of the game were released & only two of the contests were held. The last game AirWorld was never completed or even released.

As such the whereabouts of the remaining prizes has remained a mystery for years to come.

Posted (edited)

We all know about that mysterious Expansion Port on the original NES model that was never officially used by Nintendo.

A few accessories were planned but never released, two accessories I can think of include:

NES Modem & Minnesota Lottery Cartridge - Nintendo planned to partner with the Minnesota State Lottery with a $10.00 per month service, but the idea fell through and got scrapped due to concerns from lawyers decrying the use of a game console targeted for families being used as a gambling device.

Teleplay Modem - was a modem in development by Teleplay to allow cross-platform on your NES & Sega Genesis, but was shelved when Teleplay failed to secure licensing rights from both Sega & Nintendo.

There were also plans by Nintendo to release a Disk System addon for the NES similar to how the Famicom had a Disk System addon, but due to the short life of the system and the fact that copying devices & pirated Disk System games were advertised in Japan, the idea got scrapped.

Posted (edited)

Another set of unreleased games I'm interested in are console games that were previewed by gaming magazines in the 1990s to the early-2000s, and many of these magazines reviewed these games weeks or months away before they were cancelled.

Unfortunately, very few games previewed & reviewed by those magazines have been leaked. A few I can think of include but not limited to:

- Bio Force Ape

- Dragon Sword

- Socks The Cat Rocks The Hill (SNES Version)

There might be other games that were previewed & reviewed in magazines before cancellation, but these are the games that I'm aware of for now.

Posted (edited)

Alot of you have heard about unreleased & vaporware video games & consoles, but few of you heard about unreleased & vaporware computers that were produced between the late-1970s to Mid-2000s.

Many of these unreleased computers were never produced in large quantities with very few prototype units ever produced. Many of these are from companies that were big at the time like Acorn, Apple, Atari, Commodore & Sinclair, while others were made by companies not known by many computer users & enthusiasts.

There's quite a few videos features most of these unreleased computers, but here's the ones that I find very interesting:

Hope I can give you guys interest on not just unreleased video game consoles, but also unreleased computers as well.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

Many forgotten & unreleased video game related hardware & software have some backstories on when they were being produced & later shelved, or just being ignored by the general public.

The Laird's Lair has a few stories of these forgotten & unreleased gaming media.

There were television shows from the late-1920s to mid-1950s in the United States that were broadcasted live and never recorded, with the only thing surviving of these shows are still photographs.

In addition the early television shows of the BBC from the 1930s & 1940s were broadcasted live and were never recorded, with nothing surviving other than still photographs.

The reason for these early TV shows being permanently lost was the fact there wasn't a way to record or pre-record them, until Kinescope & Master Tapes were introduced.

Posted (edited)

There's quite a few cuts of movies that were never released, such as the case with Event Horizon. However, workprints of movies have rarely been discussed, as many of those workprints contained additional scenes not featured in any director's cut of any film.

Also just recently, the previously unreleased movie Grizzly 2 was just recompleted, but prior to this, only the workprint survived for many years.

Many workprints of many movies were leaked on the internet back in the 2000s, featuring a watermark ortimestamps, mostly incomplete special effects and a few minor differences.

A few movies that I can think of whose workprinky were leaked in this way are Hulk (2003), Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005), and X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009).

You can see how incomplete most workprints were with a clip from the leaked workprint version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

This one will probably never be found, but theoretically - It could still exist somewhere out there.

During the recording sessions of King Crimsons "Thela Hun Ginjeet" - Adrian Belew was sent out to walk around some bad neighborhoods with a tape-recorder so he could get a better feel for his lyrical delivery in the song that they were recording. Long story short: Some street-thugs noticed him, confronted him, but let him walk away in exchange for the tape-recorder.

It is possible (however unlikely) that in some shady neighborhood - there is a random cassette in someones possession that contains audio of Adrian Belew saying that "This is a dangerous place!" and that he doesn't want to be there.

Also just this recently a YouTuber called Etalikor just removed all his videos from his channel. This was a YouTuber who played old Half-Life 1 mods and many other games as well. Now all of Etalikor's video content is gone.

There was also a YouTuber that also played games I've watched years ago that also closed his account, that user was GalleyUK. He played the Build Egine games Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage & PowerSlave in addition to their expansion packs, Half-Life 1 & 2, Doom 1 & 2, among others. His channel is also gone as well.

Kind of something similar to the mystery to what happened with SunTheTiger & ErikkTehDestroyer.