Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wadmodder Shalton

What "Lost Media" are you interested in?

Also to worth mention is the master tapes of popular music that were destroyed in a fire at Universal Studios back in 2008, that affected alot of artists, including those that had been disbanded since the 2000s or earlier, such is the case with the original master tape recordings of Nirvana and other bands.

undumped arcade games. quite a few games, even some super rare stuff that was never officially released, have surfaced over the years, but a few remain still locked away in some collector's vault. Marble Madness 2 has been something of a holy grail for years in the community, occasionally showing up at events but never making its way onto the web.

Another interest for me is the Emergency Broadcast System, an old emergency warning system used in the United States from 1963 in which replaced the CONELRAD and up until 1997 where it was replaced by the Emergency Alert System.

However, as the EBS was replaced by the EAS, recordings of EBS Tests & Warnings have become obscure and very hard to find or have been lost to time. Nearly half of them from the 1970s to 1996 have been recovered, most of them are just tests.

The early years of the Emergency Alery System has clearly been lost to time, but a few have been recovered from the first 10 years of it's existence.

There's probably other emergency warning system from other parts of the world like Japan, but recordings of these are hard to come by.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:42 PM, forgettablepyromaniac said:

The Master Tapes for Lego Island. I still wonder what It would be like if we still had them.

Like yes we have the cassettes but im still curious about the originals.

Since you mentioned the original master tapes of the Lego Island soundtrack, a few of these songs in the game were by a few lesser known bands, these were The Torpedoes & Polkacide. At least according to the description of this video upload of the OST on YouTube.

Apparently, the songs by Polkacide & The Torpedoes were released by their respective bands in their albums, way before the higher quality cassettes for the game's music were released by the composer.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

Another unreleased movie that was leaked I can think of is Broken (aka The Broken Movie), a movie interpretation of the Nine Inch Nails EP of the same name produced in 1993, that was never released officially but commonly circulates online.

8 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Apparently, the songs by Polkacide & The Torpedoes were released by their respective bands in their albums, way before the higher quality cassettes for the game's music were released by the composer.

Thats really interesting actually.

Also Changed pfp, mad respects on that one.

The Invasion iteration of Team Fortress 2 (not to be confused with the Invasion Update of 2015) is very less discussed within the Valve cut content community, with very few community attempts at trying to recreate it, with many of them still work-in-progress or just being abandoned altogether.

It was technically present in the Half-Life 2 leak of 2003, but this iteration of TF2 is very under-documented by the HL2 beta community, due to lack of any research or resources necessary to reconstruct it.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:17 PM, Diabolución said:

The entire contents of that hypothetical CD-R owned by Bob Evans.

Since you mentioned that CD-R of those old CompuServe Action Games forum PWADs owned by Bob Evans, I wonder if any of those PWADs that are not on the idgames archive (other than the Odessa series) appeared on any of those old shovelware CD-ROMs containing tons of Doom levels, that were published by WizardWorks & others between 1994 to 1996. Time Will Tell.

That Subderma map by Christen David Klie.

I even wonder if Christen Klie still works at LucasArts, or if he lost his job there when Disney disbanded the in-house game development team at LucasArts. Time Will Also Tell.

Oh, there was a lost game in the Maxis Sim series of games that were produced between 1990 to 2001 beyond SimCity & The Sims that saw very limited distribution, that game was of course SimRefinery.

This was produced by the Maxis Business Simulations division of Maxis in 1993, but it saw a very limited release in refineries owned by Chevron. As such it was never released at retail, and as such the public wouldn't be able to play the game until 2020 when a copy of the game was uploaded to Internet Archive.

Even LGR did a blurb video about it a year ago, which you can see here:

Oh also, the original map list of the supposed "real" DWANGO9.WAD is unknown & lost beyond the two maps found in the DWANGO!.WAD compilation.

Two other games that Active Enterprises developed with Farsight Technologies was Sports 5 & a SNES port of Action 52, but neither was ever released and there aren't any prototypes circulating in existence. In regards to the SNES port of Action 52, it's speculated that Active Enterprises couldn't circumvent the lockout chip used by the SNES, and it's unknown what sports games were to be featured on the Sports 5 compilation.

There were at least seven Atari 2600 games that Ultravision was planning to release but cancelled in 1983 because of the North American Video Game Crash. These games were as follows:

Spider Kong
Astro Battle
Space Robot
Sea Hawk
Emergency
Exocet
Quest Of The Idol

Ultravision only released two Atari 2600 games during their short life, Condor Attack and the awful Karate. I've found out about these unreleased Ultravision games while watching The Laird's Lair's video on Ultravision's unreleased Video Arcade System console and the unreleased Funvision variant of said console.

Spider Kong was released by other companies albeit mostly Asian bootleggers under a variety of names including Pac Kong, Spider Monster, Tonky Kong and even the original title, those these releases were slightly hack to change the sprites or in rare cases they kept the original Funvision copyright messages.

If you thought Ultravision's Karate was bad, Spider Kong is even worse, with it's non-stop flickering and broken jumping mechanics. The game itself is a crappy bootleg clone version of Nintendo's own Donkey Kong arcade game.

The fate of Quest For The Idol is unknown, though it might had become Panda Quest, also known as Panda Chase, a rubbish clone of Atari's own E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial game on the same system.

It is unknown how many of Ultravision's games were given to the hands of those Asian bootleggers, probably sold off by the original programmers or sold off after Ultravision went under.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:05 PM, HorrorMovieRei said:

I got interested in a certain "Saki Sanobachi" too, but sadly that's been all but confirmed to be fake.

Since you mentioned Saki Sanobachi, the mysterious PS2 game Paccie by the infamous Phoenix Games was also a fake, and the box art was actually stolen from a 1990s Ray Tracing Competition. Originally developed as a PS1 game titled Block & Go, neither version went past the conceptual stages.

I've found out about this mysterious PS1 & PS2 game being debunked, as Phoenix Games just stole cover art from other sources, including book covers, CD covers and other sources where their box arts for their PS1 & PS2 games were created.

Even RetroDetect did a video debunking it's existence.

The original pre-release 3D version of SimCity 3000 is often a forgotten piece of history to the series. Originally planned as the first 3D entry in the series, this iteration was scrapped shortly after EA bought out Maxis in favor of the one that was similar to SC2K with enhanced graphics. As such only a few screenshots and a teaser video of the original 3D iteration of SC3K survive.

Even LGR has mentioned the planned 3D version of SC3K, and featured a few screenshots of it twice.

SimMars was a strategy game by Maxis in development at the same time as The Sims that never made it past it's conceptual stages. Only a teaser trailer & concept art survive. There is a mod for SimCity 4 also called Sim Mars but it has nothing to do with Maxis's concept, and many of the screenshots you see online are of that SimCity 4 mod.

SimsVille was to be a hybrid of the gameplay of both SimCity & The Sims. It was in development between 2000 to 2001 and was cancelled due to Maxis wanting to focus on the expansion packs for The Sims. Only a few screenshots & a few videos exist.

SimCastle also was also in development by Maxis in the 1990s but information about is pretty scarce.

There's a lot of films from the silent and golden age of Hollywood that I'd kill to see. I'd also love to see the full version of Different From The Others, as far as German silents go.

I very interested about videos that I found in one game that I played in my childhood.

Here's a compilation. I can't recognize some of them. And you?

There are supposedly five additional Sim games that Maxis supposedly developed and four unknown titles made supposedly in conjunction with Thinking Tools, but this is unconfirmed by many for now. These titles are as follows:

SimHeater - MCI systemhouse?

SimPower

SimEnvironment

TeleSim (AT&T)

SimNavy

I've found out about these titles from this Reddit post.

I'm less interested in "lost" media and more in "rare" media. Cause most of the time alot of lost media things don't actually exist/are radically different from what they were made out to be.

But if I had to choose, I used to be super fucking interested in the "A Day With Spongebob Squarepants" mockumentary thing. Was a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't actually real.

Some of those Patrick Troughton "Doctor Who" episodes whose records were seemingly all destroyed. They mostly seem to have had some incredibly fascinating premises and I feel like we've lost serious treasures.

Other than that, probably things like Jazz Jackrabbit 3 and the Doom 64 sequel.

There's also an album by a band that was around in Seattle in the early 90s called "Bone Grinder" by Willard that was apparently recorded but never saw the light of day. Now I'm far from the world's biggest Willard fan. I find their rather urban take on the Melvins' sound to be something that I'm not often in the mood for. Might be because I didn't grow up in a large city. But when it does hit, it's so heavy. I wonder if Bone Grinder was more of the same or developed their sound a little more.

There's a couple of Direct-To-Video releases on VHS that saw a very limited release and are now very hard to find. There were also planned productions for a Direct-To-Video release that were cancelled as well. A couple of these that have pages on The Lost Media Wiki include but not limited to:

M3D

Jingaroo

Little People Video

Birdvillage

Baby Einstein: World of Colors (maybe cancelled?)

Einstein Pals

The Cancelled Disney Direct-To-Video Sequels

Those are some of the unreleased or rare Direct-To-Video releases that are documented on the internet, but very few of you probably never heard of these.

Oh and speaking about the original theatrical versions of Star Wars episodes IV, V & VI, Harmy's Despecialized Edition is not the only unofficial fan restoration project in existence, there is also Project Blu, the Team Negative One (TN1) projects, Puggo Grande, among others (such as the Silver Screen Edition (SSE), the Grindhouse releases, & Projects 4K77, 4K80 & 4K83).

You can definitely see the difference between these fan restorations with this playlist comparison them.

I wish that Daniel Goyone’s first album is out on CD. He’s a French jazzman who plays the piano.

daniel-goyone-daniel-goyone-cover-art.jp

I also wish that Pierre Vassiliu’s live album Présentement is out on CD too. He’s a French singer.

R-3804152-1482532859-4653.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ducon

The unreleased Rockstar Games PS3-Exclusive game Agent was an ambitious vaporware project since it's development starting in 2007 and it's announcement in 2009, only for the game to never see the light of day. The game was to be set during the Cold War in the 1970s.

Agent_video_game_cover.jpg

I wanted to bring this up because recently Rockstar Games removed the remaining mentions of Agent from their official website, meaning the game has been completely abandoned, probably because they didn't want to spend the time or resources to move the game development over to Sony's PS4 & PS5. Considering that the official website was made around the time the game was announced using web development tools from the HTML4, HTTP & Adobe Flash era of video game marketing (including the fact that the publisher never bothered to update the old PS3 logo to coincide the release of the PS3 Slim model in 2009), it's hard to see why Rockstar Games would remove the only website they made for a game that they never released.

Well considering that Rockstar Games now only focuses on the Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead franchises, and the fact that they haven't made any new IPs since the release of LA Noire in 2011, and the fact that they haven't released any new installments of their older franchises since the releases of LA Noire The VR Case Files in 2017, Max Payne 3 in 2012, Midnight Club LA in 2008, Manhunt 2 in 2007, and Smugglers Run 2/Warzones in 2002, it's hard to see why Rockstar Games never had any sequel ideas for Agent.

Rockstar Games also hasn't released any further installments for games that had only one installment including Beaterator in 2009, Bully & Table Tennis in 2006, and The Warriors in 2005, so I would assume that Agent would've been a very ambitious project if it had any good ideas for Rockstar Games.

Also, beta content in Rockstar Games are especially interesting for what changed between pre-release and what we officially got. The Grand Theft Auto Games are a huge example of that, with alot of cut content all around. GTA III especially has an interesting history of cut content especially shortly after the 9/11 attacks in 2001, where Rockstar had to change most of the game content before release.

Everything after GTA III is mostly hit or miss, with mostly differences being beta textures & models, among other stuff.

The two Manhunt games also have cut content, particularly cut enemies & weapons. As far as we know, the only beta version of any Manhunt we have is the leaked beta of Manhunt 2 dated from May 2007 that got leaked by a SCEE employee. While a couple of mods exist for the PC versions of both games that recreates or restores the cut content, they are anything but accurate IMHO.

Oh, also there's a couple of nonexistent fake lost media floating around the internet, including the previously mentioned Saki Sanobachi and the unreleased Phoenix Games PS1/PS2 title Paccie (aka Block & Go), so avoid the ones that don't have any information whatsoever as many of those lost media are just hoaxes.

Many of us will only focus more on the rare and hard to find media, including music, TV shows & movies not available on streaming platforms. This also counts for PC & console games that are hard to find physically, including unreleased games that had a prototype released in some form. PC Games made in the early years of digital distribution before Steam, like many of the older WildTangent games are also appreciated.

3D Realms' 1997 game Shadow Warrior was initially planned to have three expansion packs. These were Twin Dragon, Wanton Destruction and Deadly Kiss, but because the game didn't become a hit and likely didn't sell well, they were never released commercially. While the first two were later released as freeware, the latter expansion was never released in any form whatsoever.

Deadly Kiss was being developed by a little known company known as SillySoft (not to be confused with Simply Silly Software of Duke Nuclear Winter fame), and while screenshots were released in January 1998, the expansion was never released in any form, not even as a freeware release for unknown reasons, but it was probably because the developer couldn't secure an exclusive deal with 3D Realms to release it for free on the websites of either company, WizardWorks & GT Interactive's bad business decisions, or 3D Realms not have any contacts with SillySoft. 

Its possible that SillySoft disappeared without a single trace sometime after mid or late 1998, and little is known about SillySoft ever since.

While many assets were recovered years later, many assets might still be lost to time.

I would like to see the original episodes of The Bugs Bunny Show released to the public.

The show featured these new animated linking sequences for the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts that were shown, all of which were directed by classic WB animators like Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng.

Many of the prints were cut up or lost when other television networks got a hold of these episodes and now there's only a handful of that material left over. 

The most irritating aspect is that Warner Bros. apparently has complete black and prints of every episode in their vaults and, for some reason, they refuse to release them.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Domestic-Weirdo said:

The most irritating aspect is that Warner Bros. apparently has complete black and prints of every episode in their vaults and, for some reason, they refuse to release them.

Mega Corporations...

The Japanese stuff that never got imported to the West and put the side of some random shop. Walk into any media store in Japan and I guarantee there'll be boxes full of the weirdest shit you've ever seen. There are thousands of them around, the rabbit hole goes on forever: posters, gimmicky PS1 and PC games, neo-futuristic kitchen utensil devices, creepy random ROM discs, the PC Engine, forgotten anime. It is madness.