Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant

SNES Doom source released under GPLv3

Now, where will i get a Xband (Clone) to play online with my Super Nintendo?

Hmm or is someone able to make the USB Slot on the SD2SNES able to work with an Ethernet Adaptor? :P

Edit: I just really love this insane Idea to see my beloved Super Nintendo something it shouldn't be able.

There is a great video interview here (seems like 25 fps might be possible in the future):

Necrobump but looking at how the XBAND multiplayer feature has been restored in that source code update makes me wish emulator authors would start working on XBAND feature, just so we don't have to physically own everything required for such a session.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, taufan99 said:

Necrobump but looking at how the XBAND multiplayer feature has been restored in that source code update makes me wish emulator authors would start working on XBAND feature, just so we don't have to physically own everything required for such a session.

Emulating online services that no longer exist is a big ask, especially when a.) there are other online services with higher userbases that desire the attention, like the Dreamcast services, Xbox Live 1.0, assorted old MMOs etc. and b.) literally every other game on the XBAND service, and indeed the entire SNES console, can be given a superior generalized online solution by implementing rollback-based netcode on the emulator side.

It'd be nice, but the attention required is needed elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Emulating online services that no longer exist is a big ask, especially when a.) there are other online services with higher userbases that desire the attention, like the Dreamcast services, Xbox Live 1.0, assorted old MMOs etc. and b.) literally every other game on the XBAND service, and indeed the entire SNES console, can be given a superior generalized online solution by implementing rollback-based netcode on the emulator side.

It'd be nice, but the attention required is needed elsewhere.

Welp, the main reason the multiplayer feature is still possible to play is this, so yeah...

If I'm not wrong, there's been some posts about prototype version of the port, on top of that, there is this image from Issue 71 (June 1995) of EGM Magazine, which got

1.ARMS panel instead of showing the current weapon

2.All keys appear between HEALTH panel and mugshot

3.Shotgun frames appear even higher
i86ykxq.jpg
Not 100% sure, but could be this be that prototype version?
https://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/post/109928971398/a-preview-for-doom-3-aka-the-snes-port-from
P.S.Few more images(from unknown magazine this time), 2, 3 and 5 are same as in EGM magazine

Spoiler

O6bFMPB.png
3u6iaaq.png

tB7smZ8.png
cdlurIx.png
R6Mm980.png

Edited by D1m3 : Added more images and source of top image

Doom 3, wow. Someone mentioned it was originally planned to have its own levels, etc before id shot that down. Guess that might explain the tentative title.

Oh WOW! Awesome find! Where did you find this, what magazine??? This is great.

As for the Doom 3 thing I feel like that's just a mistake on the magazine's part. Doom 64 was once titled Doom 3 (edit: or was it? I was told this ages ago but fact-checking after posting this, I can't seem to find any mention of this. If anyone has a source for this it would be appreciated!), but id Software told Midway to change the name for various reasons (such as the upcoming Final Doom), and the magazine mentions an N64 version alongside it. I don't know for how long Doom 64 was in development but I suppose plans had already begun. SNES Doom's level set was never going to be a new one as far as we know, Randy Linden already explained that the early SNES Doom level set was simply modifications made to make the game flow better using the SNES controller, similar to a few changes made on the Jaguar version, but id Software did not approve the changes alongside other gameplay and aesthetic modifications as they wanted the SNES version to be a close match to the PC game (perhaps to not compete with the PlayStation version? or id just wanted at least 1 console to have a true to PC Doom experience). Technically the final version still has its own unique level set but they only kept around the absolutely necessary changes - textures of course being the main thing, but SNES Doom has a number of geometry changes too. If there was anything more than that I feel Randy Linden would have talked about it already, and there would probably be leftovers in the source code of such a thing (the main sign is that there's absolutely no Doom 2 stuff in SNES Doom, not even in the source, even Jaguar Doom had a lot of Doom 2 leftovers.)

These screenshots are definitely of SNES Doom 1 of course, but they're definitely not of the final game! This could also mean that prototype cartridges were shipped out to magazines assuming these weren't screenshots provided by id or Sculptured. If so, chances of getting a SNES Doom prototype are much higher. I wonder if this is the same build that was circulating around years ago that made its way into a private collector's hands.

Apart from the obvious HUD changes, you can see the Episode 3 sky as well which was cut from the final game.

Edited by Individualised

Oh yeah, I was misremembering something I read on this forum earlier. Looking for that post and seeing it again, it was actually one of yours where you said mapset. That could easily just mean a modified set of the original Doom maps. 

The multiple references to Doom 3 could be a liberty on the magazine's part, to go hand in hand with that misleading description. I wonder who sold SNES Doom to the writer of that piece as the "latest installment". No matter what, though, it doesn't read like someone who really knows anything about the game.

Three of those screenshots are obviously E1M1, two are obviously E1M2, the last three (with the hell sky) I'm not sure. I think the top-most one may be E3M8 with textures changed, as the geometry seems to fit. By that token the middle one could be E3M6 also with textures changed, but I have no guess about the bottom-most one, it just looks glitchy.

Would be a stretch to call a port of Doom 1's level "Doom 3" so it's gotta be game journalists being game journalists. :p

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

I think the top-most one may be E3M8 with textures changed, as the geometry seems to fit. By that token the middle one could be E3M6 also with textures changed, but I have no guess about the bottom-most one, it just looks glitchy.

I can confirm that the uppermost one is, indeed, E3M8, whereas both of the latter ones you mentioned are E3M6, the latter since there's also this medium-sized alcove containing enemies and a sector-based ramp window overlooking the lava floor "sea".

1 hour ago, taufan99 said:

I can confirm that the uppermost one is, indeed, E3M8, whereas both of the latter ones you mentioned are E3M6, the latter since there's also this medium-sized alcove containing enemies and a sector-based ramp window overlooking the lava floor "sea".

image.png.80da1f4fd497e487de07a3cb7e7338f9.png

Appears to be this area, no?

Hi, everyone! Do you know if there is any map editor or any method to make maps for SNES Doom? Maybe not a full editor but some tool, or maybe you know how one could develop a tool to make custom levels for this version of the game?

1 hour ago, SilentD00mer said:

Hi, everyone! Do you know if there is any map editor or any method to make maps for SNES Doom? Maybe not a full editor but some tool, or maybe you know how one could develop a tool to make custom levels for this version of the game?

Hi.

The map editor and the tools itself are exist, but as far as I know they were never released publically. For example, I have the tools but I don't have permission to reupload them. Possibly, something is changed, plus I'm not the only one who is handling those tools.

We could ask @Roebloz for some additional info about this.

It kind of sounds like the magazine was told what Doom 64 will be like and assumed the SNES version will be that game, too (though obviously cut down). When it says to look for the Ultra 64 version soon.

23 hours ago, D1m3 said:

If I'm not wrong, there's been some posts about prototype version of the port, on top of that, there is this image from Issue 71 (June 1995) of EGM Magazine, which got

i86ykxq.jpg
https://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/post/109928971398/a-preview-for-doom-3-aka-the-snes-port-from
P.S.Few more images(from unknown magazine this time), 2, 3 and 5 are same as in EGM magazine

Reveal hidden contents

O6bFMPB.png
3u6iaaq.png

tB7smZ8.png
cdlurIx.png
R6Mm980.png

Just found out these are from EGM; a magazine known for fabricating lots of stuff. So yeah SNES Doom has no relation to this so-called "Doom 3"

On 2/11/2023 at 4:25 PM, D1m3 said:

i86ykxq.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

O6bFMPB.png
3u6iaaq.png

tB7smZ8.png
cdlurIx.png
R6Mm980.png

"You must carve a way through this colony with your guns" is so funny to me. It sounds like I'm reading about a Civil War game or something.

@D1m3 Looking back at the unknown magazine's scans, it looks like the screenshots (other than the 4th one, which is yet another screenshot of E1M1) are all the same as the ones from EGM, the first one being identical to the lowermost right one from the EGM scan, minus the cropping.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:14 AM, Individualised said:

I don't know for how long Doom 64 was in development but I suppose plans had already begun. SNES Doom's level set was never going to be a new one as far as we know, Randy Linden already explained that the early SNES Doom level set was simply modifications made to make the game flow better using the SNES controller, similar to a few changes made on the Jaguar version, but id Software did not approve the changes alongside other gameplay and aesthetic modifications as they wanted the SNES version to be a close match to the PC game (perhaps to not compete with the PlayStation version? or id just wanted at least 1 console to have a true to PC Doom experience).

Does it make sense to limit the "impossible port" to the PC mapset, but all other ports to the Jaguar levels? Sounds like another bad decision like to limit the SEGA Saturn port to the software renderer or whatever was the reason that this port has so bad performance.

On these magazine screenshots you can see, that the game had floor (and apperently ceiling) textures on the SNES. :0

3 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

Does it make sense to limit the "impossible port" to the PC mapset, but all other ports to the Jaguar levels? Sounds like another bad decision like to limit the SEGA Saturn port to the software renderer or whatever was the reason that this port has so bad performance.

On these magazine screenshots you can see, that the game had floor (and apperently ceiling) textures on the SNES. :0

I don't see any textured flats on those screenshots, they look untextured to me

11 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

It's just a magazine scan artifact a.k.a. noise on untextured floors with mono colors.

For the record the engine does support textured flats and they were probably in the game at one point, they weren't used for cartridge space limitations and they were probably removed very early on when it was realised it was not viable to have them all. I did notice however that some flat graphics from the PC version are used as wall textures on the SNES version, so I guess the Reality Engine doesn't make a differentiation.

22 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

It's just a magazine scan artifact a.k.a. noise on untextured floors with mono colors.

Okay makes sense. Yeah it explains why not the full floor is textured in the one episode 3 map.

Is there now an easier way to import custom levels into SNES Doom with the source code? Previously the only way was through a tool made before the release of the source code that wasn't even made public.

I'm afraid hacking SNES Doom levels is not "easy" at all :\

Possibly, some really talented guys like GEC Team would handle this, but they are interested in PSX/N64 engines of Doom at present time.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, D1m3 said:

i86ykxq.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

O6bFMPB.png
3u6iaaq.png

tB7smZ8.png
cdlurIx.png
R6Mm980.png

did not expect to see the press release beta shotgun in snes doom but tbh i kinda like it more than the final version of snes doom

9 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

I'm afraid hacking SNES Doom levels is not "easy" at all :\

Possibly, some really talented guys like GEC Team would handle this, but they are interested in PSX/N64 engines of Doom at present time.

Doesn't the source code include all of the stuff to import levels? I think it should be easy now, just no one has tried it yet.