Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant

SNES Doom source released under GPLv3

Recommended Posts

On 1/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, Dark Pulse said:

The caveat to that would be that the ROM would not be playable without that specific flashcart.

 

Of course, the ROM would be impossible to play on original without sacrificing a SuperFX2 cart anyway - and nobody's gonna destroy Yoshi's Island for Doom. And there's only so many copies of Winter Gold in the world.

 

You don't have to, the former known SD2SNES has every Chip you need and more

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Azuris said:

You don't have to, the former known SD2SNES has every Chip you need and more

Including chips that are out of spec/nonexistent? Read what he said again.

 

On 1/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, Kroc said:

Since any mod is less likely to be run on an original cart than on an Everdrive or emulator, the question is: what do they support? I've heard that some emulators can see a larger address space from the FX2 that original hardware.

What this means, in plain English, is that some emulators pretend that the SuperFX2 has a larger address space than the actual chip itself does.

 

Meaning even if a SD2SNES emulates a SuperFX2 perfectly, this is actually BEYOND what a SuperFX2 can do, because the actual chip is limited to 16 Mbit/2 MB of address space.

 

If the SD2SNES does not account for this variant SuperFX2, then it won't run the ROM until it does. The game would explode as soon as it tries to read or write to an address past that point.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

What this means, in plain English, is that some emulators pretend that the SuperFX2 has a larger address space than the actual chip itself does.

I'm not aware of any non-ancient emulators that do this.

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of which, I wonder how Randy Linden has been doing. Looking forward to hearing from the man himself.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, Orchid87 said:

a general fine tune of the engine to resemble real Doom engine in stuff like animations speed more wouldn't hurt.

I'd love this more than knockback, even. The fact that every frame has (seemingly) a duration of just 1 tic was always what stood out to me as the most jarring and non-Doom-like thing about the visuals of the game.

 

If you get near an enemy that hasn't woken up yet especially, they appear to be running as fast as the Flash while standing in place which is just.. Odd. Combining an animation speed fix with the circlestrafing patch that @xttl made would make it feel so much better. If we could also remove the input delay on top of those, I'd happily replay SNES Doom again since that would be all of it's major flaws (imo) fixed.

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone tried to compile the source using the provided scripts? I understand that it is not complete but I have not seen Randal mention to releasing more tools in phase 4. If I'm not mistaken, only data and assets remaining? I already got RIP data files and converted Walls, Images and Levels, but i still try to make ART and CUT. (And sound/music, maybe in the future??).


I created the images files with the same names. When I run the scripts from make dir, XG is not able to create the outputs files. Also i try other images through the program's UI and nothing ... All environment directories are the same as the source. There is no documentation in the repository.

 

About CUT, reading the script, you need a program called CUTTER, in xh.guide have mentions about it, but is not included in the repo ...

 

Does anyone have an idea if is possible to get around with other tools being compatible ?

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2021 at 9:33 PM, play134 said:

Has anyone tried to compile the source using the provided scripts? I understand that it is not complete but I have not seen Randal mention to releasing more tools in phase 4. If I'm not mistaken, only data and assets remaining? I already got RIP data files and converted Walls, Images and Levels, but i still try to make ART and CUT. (And sound/music, maybe in the future??).


I created the images files with the same names. When I run the scripts from make dir, XG is not able to create the outputs files. Also i try other images through the program's UI and nothing ... All environment directories are the same as the source. There is no documentation in the repository.

 

About CUT, reading the script, you need a program called CUTTER, in xh.guide have mentions about it, but is not included in the repo ...

 

Does anyone have an idea if is possible to get around with other tools being compatible ?

 

thanks!

Probably not. Randy's tools were purpose-designed.

 

He's been busy with other projects, he will get back to cleaning up the code and adding the rest at some point in time.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi! I'm the one that originally linked Randy to this thread. Some excellent work has been done here, and I look forward to the day when we can play through some new episodes on SNES DOOM!

 

I know Rand was thrilled with the interest in his source release, and we've both reached out to id and Bethesda a few times, but he's yet to receive the OK on releasing the assets. I'll keep trying though!

 

As an alternative, he has started work on a tool that would allow us to extract the assets from a ROM, but it's tedious work and he's currently busy expanding and promoting his most recent game, Cyboid.

 

Anyway, he launched a personal profile on Twitter this week, @RandalLinden, and he's grateful for every follower he gets. He's also happy to answer any questions about his projects there.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/7/2022 at 4:47 AM, play134 said:

...

 

Update 21/04 - All weapons/assets extracted from US ROM.

 

need fix color pallet. I haven't tried to extract yet.

 

 

 

image.png.f3e533c8a100e86ae3b02e9d49c50967.png

 

This looks cool. Wondering if you can share a step-by-step guide on your compile process. Maybe even put a script together and put it on Github or somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, M2m said:

 

This looks cool. Wondering if you can share a step-by-step guide on your compile process. Maybe even put a script together and put it on Github or somewhere.

 

yes, I'm still planning how to release it, as I'm lazy about it.

 

A youtuber known as cacodemotube got in touch with me very interested in how to compile and I must teach him, so he can document all the steps and he manages to make a video, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post

Glad to see there is progress still happening on this, even in the absence of Randy's full tools.

 

A guide would definitely help here. And we definitely need to know what it takes to make maps for it. Presumably just your typical Doom Builder would work, but the levels get processed through a converter or something along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Glad to see there is progress still happening on this, even in the absence of Randy's full tools.

 

A guide would definitely help here. And we definitely need to know what it takes to make maps for it. Presumably just your typical Doom Builder would work, but the levels get processed through a converter or something along those lines.

 

Thanks!

 

to make it clear: The engine code has not been changed. I used everything as it is on Randy's github.

 

I will create a dedicated topic to compiling the source. As this involves a lot of information to be shared.

Edited by play134

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, play134 said:

Thanks!

 

to make it clear: The engine code has not been changed. I used everything as it is on Randy's github.

 

I will create a dedicated topic to compiling the source. As this involves a lot of information to be shared.

Will be looking forward to that topic then. :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2022 at 10:17 PM, play134 said:

 

yes, I'm still planning how to release it, as I'm lazy about it.

 

A youtuber known as cacodemotube got in touch with me very interested in how to compile and I must teach him, so he can document all the steps and he manages to make a video, maybe.

 

Coo ! Thats incredibly nice. Maybe you can put the assets extracted on github, given that Doom 1 can be considered abondonware.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Glad to see there is progress still happening on this, even in the absence of Randy's full tools.

 

A guide would definitely help here. And we definitely need to know what it takes to make maps for it. Presumably just your typical Doom Builder would work, but the levels get processed through a converter or something along those lines.

Not sure if it will apply, but to use Mopoz's custom level injecter, all you need is Doom Builder and the program itself (It does come with new configurations for Doom Builder as well as an "IWAD" showing all the textures and floor colors to choose from, I don't know if you'll need the latter for the actual toolchain.)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, M2m said:

 

Coo ! Thats incredibly nice. Maybe you can put the assets extracted on github, given that Doom 1 can be considered abondonware.

 

I don't know if it's the best way to publish it, I wonder, why didn't Randy publish it then?

 

I think the best way is a tool to extract from your own rom, since the addresses in RL.SEC file does not match with the retail rom.. I would love it if someone to take on this project because i'm still busy extracting 100% of the assets. I have a good part. let's say 80% from US rom

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Last month I dedicated a lot to putting together a big puzzle. which I started as soon as Randy published his sources. but initially I didn't know how to use a Amiga and I put this project aside until... last month. I managed to extract let's say 97% of the assets. 

 

There are still some bugs that need to be checked, like the hand sprite that doesn't display correctly and RGB of each score episode images. (ScoreE1, SocreE2 and ScoreE3).

 

For now I'll leave my draft of the addresses that have been corrected by me. Since the original RL.SEC in repo does not match with the retail US ROM. You can extract them from your own rom and try to make your custom with your converted levels. It would be really nice if someone with knowledge can implement an audio driver even for sd2snes/fxpackpro.

 

https://github.com/play134/DOOM-FX/blob/master/source/play134.SEC

 

I hope you can enjoy it and I would like to see roms with custom level sequence.

 

if you want you can check the rom image in https://github.com/play134/DOOM-FX/blob/master/RL5960.sfc

don't forget to turn off the sound. because the driver is missing and it crashes.

 

Update:

 

All data set can be found here

 

https://github.com/play134/DOOM-FX/

 

 

Edited by play134

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, CacodemonTube said:

Randy Linden has updated the source code for SNES Doom to match exactly with the retail USA release ROM. That version of the source code was thought to be lost, but thanks to Randy and Play134 we have managed to restore all the differences. 

https://github.com/RandalLinden/DOOM-FX

 

It was wonderful to discover many puzzle pieces during these 3 months. finally work done!

Share this post


Link to post

Is there anyone that would like to help work on a generic map extractor that puts levels into the PC map format? I have one that handles linedefs and sectors, but it critically does not support thing types and I need data on those for the Doom Wiki. I tried finding the information in the ROM and was only able to locate a couple of the maps' data manually. I do not understand how the segmented memory address calculation works after many hours spent on it. Let me be clear that anything I work with or especially on will be open sourced so that nobody has to deal with this issue again.

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure if this brings any value to your endeavor at all Quasar but the player 1 start locations in e1m1, e2m1 and e3m1 all share the same location as the PC version.  In your emulator player 1 current Y position is at 0024, 0120 and 5A9A, X position is 0022, 011E, and 5A96.  Can't really truly "freeze" these values without it causing renderer problems and crashes, but freezing the values will definitely keep the player still in a certain location.  Might be able to find these values as a pair in ROM with a hex editor nearby where your linedef and sector tool if it outputs the address and then at least determine the player 1 start object.

 

It's also early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, this may have been super obvious.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks. I also just realized it looks like play134 has extracted and uploaded the data already so it should be trivial at this point.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×