Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

ZDoomGL v0.73 Buglist

OK, I thought it would be a good idea to keep a list of bugs / missing features up as a sticky thread, and people can post any bugs here if they find them, and I can add the bugs to the list quite simply.

Before posting about a bug, make sure you have the very latest version of ZDoomGL (in the thread topic), and make sure it hasn't already been reported ;)

Graphics Issues:
- Holes in junctions of walls (causes pixels of sky to flicker through walls)
- Hole in full hud (next to player face)
- Some issues with texture alignment (with slopes etc)
- Heretic/Hexen hud weapons aren't aligned correctly
- Sky clipping in certain editing tricks won't work (example)
- Heretic and Hexen menus aren't aligned correctly

Bugs:
- Changing the renderer can cause a crash (fixed?)

Missing / Unfinished Features:
- No dynamic lighting, md2s, etc.
- No skyboxes support, mirrors, etc.
- Intermission screens are unfinished
- Load / Save game menus not done
- aligning flats using ACS or line specials does not work

Misc Issues:
- Fonts can be degrade performance significantly on slower CPUs

I hope it's also ok to comment to bugs :)

SlayeR said:

- Setting the screen size too small causes the crosshair to be misaligned

Yes, you are right. I changed from full-screen hud to the down scaled hud, and it aligned the crosshair wrong. I could fix that by simply pushin +/- a few times to get it to the right position (pressing +/- does not actually change the screensize but only moves the crosshair)

A small graphical bug: (image (might be down)) The white floor should not be visible at all, but "overlayed" by the sky (an editing trick)

[edit]
updated URL of image: click

Found some more :)

- Don't really know how I can describe that one... just look at this image and you'll see what I mean ;)

- The crosshair in Heretic (and probably in Hexen too) has the wrong color (it's dark gray/black), making it nearly invisible.

- The arrows in the Heretic menu are not aligned correctly, they don't point at the right items.

boris said:

Found some more :)

- Don't really know how I can describe that one... just look at this image and you'll see what I mean ;)

Yeah, I also get that on legacy also.

Edit: Dang, bugs me were gunna say already said, darn.

- Items "float" a bit above the ground
- aligning flats using ACS or line specials does not work

At least there only seem to be small graphical bugs. Didn't have a single crash yet :)

boris said:

Don't really know how I can describe that one... just look at this image and you'll see what I mean

I'm not sure this is really a bug, but more an issue of the difference in how OpenGL works compared to the Doom engine. Timmie tried to fix this in a previous version I think, but it caused some major rendering problems.

boris said:

Items "float" a bit above the ground

Hmmm, A screenshot perhaps? I don't notice this, although it could be because you're using the X/Y axis sprite billboarding option, which IMO doesn't work too well. Go to the OpenGL options menu and change it to just Y axis. (The OpenGL options menu is at the bottom of the Display options menu, in case anyone didn't know ;)

I just tried the billboarding option, but it does not make a difference: image

And another thing: When you're half underwater, ZDoomGL "cuts" the water off and displays the sky below the water surface, image

Ok, for the first thing, that was a half-hearted attempt at trying to get rid of the foot clipping that occurs with the enemy sprites (I just bumped everything up a little bit). I'll take it out, since it doesn't really work anyway.

The second thing is because of the near clipping plane. The water near you is getting clipped against it and, according to the zdoom engine, you are above the water, so it's not drawing underneath it. There isn't much I can do about it right now, but I am thinking it'd be cool to draw both above and below water and have the water transparent, so you can look in :) But I have other features to complete, first...

Ok, bugs I've fixed so far:

- near clipping plane is fixed (and adjustable with gl_clip_nearclip cvar)
- sprites sit on floors properly and never clip into the floors (toggleablewith the gl_sprite_clip_to_floor cvar)
- mode changes on startup fixed
- crosshair thing fixed
- decals added

I'll fix a few more and probably do a maintenance release in a couple of days.

timmie said:

Ok, bugs I've fixed so far:

- near clipping plane is fixed (and adjustable with gl_clip_nearclip cvar)
- sprites sit on floors properly and never clip into the floors (toggleablewith the gl_sprite_clip_to_floor cvar)
- mode changes on startup fixed
- crosshair thing fixed
- decals added

I'll fix a few more and probably do a maintenance release in a couple of days.

yay!!

/me Does irish jigg :D

If a monster that drops items has moving ‘corps’ animation, it will keep spawning the item it drops over and over again, which can be a real problem. Gib something in osiris2.wad if your not sure what I mean…

Bug:
Game crashes when exiting level in coop mode.
tried playing Doom and Heretic with a mate in coop mode and both crashed when exiting the level.

Andeh said:

Bug:
Game crashes when exiting level in coop mode.
tried playing Doom and Heretic with a mate in coop mode and both crashed when exiting the level.

Ok, that's probably because I haven't done anything with the intermission screens for netplay. That stuff will (hopefully) be fixed the next release (0.72). I won't be able to look at it until after Christmas, though...

Ok, I dunno if savegames are actually supposed to work but whatever: Loading a game does not really work :) I can save fine, but when I load I'm in the ground, when I try to move the game crashes. I can shot enemies though, and they don't see me. Oh yeah, I always seem to get placed in stimpacks/medkits after loading.

Hexen:
- Main menu arrow is not aligned correctly
- Player's POV seems to be a bit too far down

timmie said:

Ok, that's probably because I haven't done anything with the intermission screens for netplay. That stuff will (hopefully) be fixed the next release (0.72). I won't be able to look at it until after Christmas, though...

ahh right :) phew i thought it was something I was doing wrong. anyway thanks. looking forward to the next version

:( please fix the level exit bug asap, its pissin me right off. i cant any have coop games with my mate anymore and i dont want to use a different port. its very anoying ....

Andeh said:

:( please fix the level exit bug asap, its pissin me right off. i cant any have coop games with my mate anymore and i dont want to use a different port. its very anoying ....

timmie said:

I won't be able to look at it until after Christmas, though...

ok im not stupid, i dont need people quoting me. I was trying to find out if it would be possible to fix that perticular bug asap because its probably the most important bug to fix as it makes coop play pointless if you can even exit the levels

timmie said:

I won't be able to look at it until after Christmas, though...

BTW, I never said you're stupid.

It's not my fault that you actually are stupid. timmie said he can't work on if until after christmas and you come back and ask when it will be fixed.

I don't appear to be able to run it in any higher resolution than 600x400. Any more and the screen goes fuzzy, as if the refresh rate is too high. I checked the refresh rate when I ran at lower resolutions, and it was at 75Hz. Ideas?

BTW I have a GF4 Ti using the latest official drivers.

boris said:

It's not my fault that you actually are stupid. timmie said he can't work on if until after christmas and you come back and ask when it will be fixed.

try reading my previous post again mate. then you can try and argue back at me

AirRaid said:

I don't appear to be able to run it in any higher resolution than 600x400. Any more and the screen goes fuzzy, as if the refresh rate is too high. I checked the refresh rate when I ran at lower resolutions, and it was at 75Hz. Ideas?

I guess other games run fine in resolutions higher than 640x400? Does this problem only show up in fullscreen or in windowed mode too?

NiGHTMARE said:

You appear to be able to see sprites over the top of one sided linedefs (possibly only when sky is involved)!

I just noticed that decals have a similar problem: When you have an area with a sky, and a pillar in this area. When the pillar lowers and there were decals on it, you can still see them, but only when they are between you and the sky. A bit hard to explain :) You can try this out very well in Doom2 map01. Just shoot a few rockets at the wall around the secret door that leads to the shotgun. Then open the door with the secret switch and see for yourself.

AirRaid said:

You can specify the refresh rate with the "gl_vid_refresh" cvar. Setting it to 0 will use the highest available refresh rate for the selected resolution, or you can set it to something else to force that refresh rate. So, if you want to try 60hz, set gl_vid_refresh to 60. You might have to restart the game if you change it in game, though. I can't remember if it restarts the renderer when you change that...