Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ant1

Doom Accomplishments Thread!

before a long time (Not very long), My friend inspired me.

So i beat the full classic Doom series on UV Fast, It wasn't that hard.

"Ah yes, It's the power of friendship" *Insert smirk emoji*

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Hmm. I always thought DOOM 2 was much more difficult than TFC. Great job! I would never be able to complete DOOM 2 on UV!

D2 and Ep4 has very similar difficulty. If you make me to pick one, D2 may be slightly harder due to the expanded monster roster. Somebody may say you have the SSG as well, but no, SSG is not universally useful.

Just a few analysis for some of the most arguable maps:

E4M1: To be honest, this map is not hard due to the actual difficulty, but bad mapping. The resource placements in this map is awful. It doesn't actually donsider the error room for a blind playthrough, but if you know what's going on, this map is no big deal and can be finished without taking damage.

E4M2: The difficulty mainly comes from the hot start, and again, it's a map that is difficult because you don't have foreknowledge. However, if you know what's going on, this map is not very hard. Don't mention the Cyberdemon, you can either avoid him or telefrag him.

E4M6: This map is probably the hardest in the episode. There's no Armor, and you need to go somewhat quick since you have limited Rad Suits. The Cyberdemon fight is somewhat a thing. However, there's an Invulnerability, so you can just get in his face. Otherwise, you need to learn how to use the BFG for wall shots, which is pretty amazing because this does separate good players and normal players.

49 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

I beat E1M3 on Nightmare like a few weeks ago!
(I gave up on E1M4)

E1M4 is the easiest map in that episode as long as you grab the soulsphere, and then just do the blue key skip and run straight for the exit. E1M5 is easily the hardest in the episode however.

2 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

Most amazing thing in the friggin world! 

This is literally how many times I clicked the like button!image.png.447446ab9cf0c2bd8cc1d34c44093cd6.png

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This is literally how many times I clicked the like button!image.png.447446ab9cf0c2bd8cc1d34c44093cd6.png

TBH, to most people on here, doing TFC on UV is nothing. Community WADs and even Final Doom are much harder.

I think that I single handedly have the most demos for TNT on DSDA, Just over 100+ demos in almost all categories.

21 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

@Ant1

Did you ever try my two maps? :)

No, send me a link in DM.

I've beaten Hexen with all three classes (on Medium difficulty), and the other day put a Nightmare playthrough in the books. (Although in Hexen, Nightmare is tantamount to UV -fast rather than true Nightmare, but it's still the pinnacle of the base game. Wendigos and Reivers with -fast are no joke...)

I did it with the class I personally find the most comfortable to play, but given its unpopularity, other people may deem it an accomplishment in its own right: the Mage.

A thread on a similar topic reminded me that I'd completed deathless runs of Episodes 1, 2 & 3, but had never managed a single-segment Ultra-Violence run of Episode 4. The discussion inspired me to boot up Doom 1 again and give it another shot.

I somehow managed to escape Hell Beneath with over 50% of my HP remaining, and didn't get body-blocked by the Cacos while fighting them in the lava pit in E4M2's opening seconds. With that major hurdle cleared, it was smooth sailing until the moment I had to slip past E4M6's Cyberdemon to get inside his room. The knockback of his rockets is safe once you've got your back to the wall, but getting knocked back down into the lava pit can burn out your  Invulnerability's timer and kill your run. (Or at least force you to change gears and start slowly sniping.)

I didn't get unlucky, I finished the level, and I could finally unclench. All that was left was the celebratory fireworks of BFG-ing away most of your problems in maps 7 & 8.

I'm psyched to finally have that done, to finally put that missing piece into place. That was pretty much my last remaining goal for Doom 1; if I revisit it again it'll probably be to try out a 0% secrets playthrough. It might be novel to delay weapon pickups & let go of the comfort of having a near-constant 200/200.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:56 AM, P41R47 said:

Oh, i didn't know it can use the pistol.

But...
Well, i'm not remember Tyson using a gun. Chewing ears, maybe :P

I always played it by punching the hell out of everything in front of me.

If he heard you say this, he'd wishes he bite his own ears off 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, Rainne said:

I've beaten Hexen with all three classes (on Medium difficulty), and the other day put a Nightmare playthrough in the books.

Then I did it again, as the Mage, Wand-only: can use items and the starting weapon but not the other weapons. (So basically: No-Mana) (Or the closest Hexen equivalent to Doom "Tyson" runs.)

Which is pretty much how I played Mage NM in the first place (the Sapphire Wand is just that damn useful) but decided to make it official. The end bosses were actually somewhat challenging that way!

A few weeks ago I beat Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time on UV. Not as hard as I thought it would be, but still had to mildly save-scum on Perfect Hatred. 

1 hour ago, Triangle Box Studio said:

I've memorized the Archvile maze in Plutonia.

This is no small feat, yo. I still struggle to face the map until now.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:45 PM, Final Verdict said:

No idea if it counts but I beat a Cyberdemon to death with my fists once (no beserk pack), just to see if it was feasible. It was, although I'm sure tons of people have done it. Nothing special there.

You FU... um... well um... well done. (Quietly seethes) Congrats on beating one of my personal goals!
My proudest accomplishment is probably beating "Cheogsh" with the Hideous Destructor mod. That was kinda cool for me.

Screenshot_Doom_20200827_233518.png

On 9/2/2020 at 11:17 AM, Triangle Box Studio said:

I've memorized the Archvile maze in Plutonia.

I gasped at this. That maze gives me some heavy ptsd.

8 hours ago, Xerenogan said:

You FU... um... well um... well done. (Quietly seethes) Congrats on beating one of my personal goals!
My proudest accomplishment is probably beating "Cheogsh" with the Hideous Destructor mod. That was kinda cool for me.

Screenshot_Doom_20200827_233518.png

Heh, no worries. I kind of cheated anyway, it was a long time ago but at that time (2004) I had just over a decade of experience fighting Cyberdemon's. It takes a little practice though, and a lot of persistence. I can't deny it wasn't fun though, seeing a Cyberdemon get slapped to death was hilarious. Even if it did take forever.

It would have been far more impressive if I did it as a new Doom fan, or someone who doesn't play it much. So I view it as an unfair advantage. That isn't to say I'm skilled, I always play on UV but it's not because I'm good. I just enjoy the added chaos and carnage.

Trust me I die quite often, especially in harder wads.

And congrats on beating Cheogsh. 

Edited by Final Verdict

On 7/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, Redneckerz said:

Someone here finished the game on UV Fast. 

Reveal hidden contents

But he Can't play on Nightmare...

In all seriousness, unclogging the warped history that is ZDoomGL is something i feel personally proud of.

Late reply, lolz

When I started working on it I was in contact with Kokak and even started with his source code.  He had stopped working on it because he got a job at Ubisoft and I figured I may as well take it up and teach myself 3D programming.  It was originally intended to be a direct continuation of the previous version, hence the naming.  However, I remember deciding pretty early on I may as well just start fresh on a current (at the time) version of ZDoom since I believe the last Kokak release (0.66?) was on a much older version.  I'm sure I did a pretty shit job of it back then since I didn't really know anything, hence the kind of crappy performance.  It was a ton of fun to work on and I got to get to know a bunch of pretty awesome people.  I worked on it up until 2005-ish and then got a job at EA (it wasn't until 2008 that I moved to a rendering role there though heh).  I was getting a bit burnt out on the project by then and opted to take a break (while poking at ZDoomGL 2.0).  Eventually I realized I just didn't really have enough time to devote to it if, between work and home, I didn't want to spend literally every waking moment coding.  So I just sort of dropped it.  I didn't feel too bad about it since I accomplished what I set out to do (teach myself graphics coding) and Graf Zahl was just starting up GZDoom at the time.  Hopefully that clears up some confusion around the naming and untangles some of the history.

I keep coming up with ideas I'd love to try with the Doom engine, though.  My current fun idea is having fully compute based geometry generation, so it'd just take the raw sectors/subsectors/lines/segs and use a compute shader to emit the world geometry each frame.  Using bindless textures it could just be one big mesh so the world would be two dispatches:  one for the compute job and one for the indirect draw for the resulting mesh.  Basically running the entirety of the game rendering on the GPU.  Not saying that will ever see the light of day, it's just a fun thought experiment and I have even less time than before now that I've got kids!  But you never know, I suppose.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, Rainne said:

I've beaten Hexen with all three classes (on Medium difficulty), and the other day put a Nightmare playthrough in the books. (Although in Hexen, Nightmare is tantamount to UV -fast rather than true Nightmare, but it's still the pinnacle of the base game. Wendigos and Reivers with -fast are no joke...)

I did it with the class I personally find the most comfortable to play, but given its unpopularity, other people may deem it an accomplishment in its own right: the Mage.

I've recently beaten Hexen with a Mage too (on UV) and it was surprisingly easy. Wanding enemies can get tedious but you *always* have a ranged weapon with great auto-aim. Will probably try a saveless run sometime.

Bloodscourge completely sucks though. The worst weapon in the game. So much for "mages getting powerful as they level up".

I just beat Dimensions UV pistol start for the first time time yesterday (with saves in between fights).  I'd say Dimensions as a whole was harder than Okuplok Slaughter Map except for the BS revenant hallway.  

On 5/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, _timmie_ said:

Late reply, lolz

Does not matter! I am very surprised to see someone like you return to Doom!

When I started working on it I was in contact with Kokak and even started with his source code.  He had stopped working on it because he got a job at Ubisoft and I figured I may as well take it up and teach myself 3D programming.  It was originally intended to be a direct continuation of the previous version, hence the naming.  However, I remember deciding pretty early on I may as well just start fresh on a current (at the time) version of ZDoom since I believe the last Kokak release (0.66?) was on a much older version. 

That's exactly why i never understood it was not given its own name, haha. I think Kokak's version today is rather unique - There are plenty of current-day ports out that use ZDoom 1.22 as a base, but he was the first to mar it with a OpenGL renderer. Just not one that was very stable :P

I'm sure I did a pretty shit job of it back then since I didn't really know anything, hence the kind of crappy performance.  It was a ton of fun to work on and I got to get to know a bunch of pretty awesome people.  I worked on it up until 2005-ish and then got a job at EA (it wasn't until 2008 that I moved to a rendering role there though heh). 

ZDoomGL was half the performance of the equivalent GZDoom at the time (And i tested this recently, it holds up!) but your work had quite a lot of things going for it:

• Your Quake 3-esque shader multitexture system in the later versions. Sadly nobody really picked up on it, but ill remain of the opinion that modifying and adding effects on fixed-function hardware remains interesting - even when shaders, which was at the time the thing you want to move to (with ZDoomGL 2.0) are infinitely more flexible.
  • ZDoomGL actually kept on existing for a long time in ports: Skulltag used it as the OpenGL renderer for a few versions, and ScoreDoomST kept it around till 2013 - Pretty impressive mileage for 2005 technology!
  • GZDoom took over where ZDoomGL left off, so despite being two completely different codebases, ZDoomGL provided a lot of the OpenGL experience we play today, where prior to that, people would be using JDoom hardware accelerated Doom or use them side by side.

I keep coming up with ideas I'd love to try with the Doom engine, though.  My current fun idea is having fully compute based geometry generation, so it'd just take the raw sectors/subsectors/lines/segs and use a compute shader to emit the world geometry each frame.  Using bindless textures it could just be one big mesh so the world would be two dispatches:  one for the compute job and one for the indirect draw for the resulting mesh.  Basically running the entirety of the game rendering on the GPU.  Not saying that will ever see the light of day, it's just a fun thought experiment and I have even less time than before now that I've got kids!  But you never know, I suppose.

I recall you have had this idea for a long time actually! Moving all the rendering over to computer shaders. So Rum and Raisin Doom, but fully on the GPU. Probably this would have a good basis in a GZDoom fork now that a lot of rendering lifting these days on that port is done through GPU. But it remains an enticing idea.

I 100% completed the first Doom on HMP, getting all kills/secrets. That's probably not much of an accomplishment but its my first time doing so and I can't wait to 100% the other classic Dooms :D