Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ant1

Doom Accomplishments Thread!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210926_104237.png.1675768a445e4b6a333078c3b9ecf07a.png

I've decided to revisit Alien Vendetta as part of a Doom project I'm doing, and I was very scared to do this map (MAP32). However, despite the fact that I played using saves, I am still TREMENDOUSLY proud of this as someone who only really is familiar with slaughterlite and not full-on slaughter. I feel like I'm slowly getting better at 2-shotting Cybs (although not consistently, I have to use saves but I can get it like 75% of the time), and general crowd control. I thank decino for all my current Doom knowledge after being out of the scene for roughly 3 years.

AV_UV.png.6c3b9491ef738aef5ff79d4593c6d964.png

I did the whole thing playing Continuously with saves, but I'm still glad to have completed my pilgrimage through every level of Alien Vendetta. It could often be grindy and exhausting (especially in the last 5 levels), but I don't regret putting in the time & work required to push through to the end - it was worth it to see the sights and take in the atmosphere. The megawad deserves its reputation as a high-water mark for vanilla visuals: in particular, it's a masterclass in drawing sector lighting.

Spoiler

D1_UV.png.78e9a00082de5fa1136c1c99430a5dfc.png

I also revisited the original 3 episodes of Doom 1 recently, ignoring the decades of iteration and optimization which speedrunners have built up and just mucking about improvising routes for fun. I think it's interesting how newcomers to Doom can conceivably spend hours chasing down every dead end and poking around all of its nooks and crannies, but returning players can use the hard-earned labyrinth solutions and their knowledge of resource caches to chart a very efficient course from A to B to C and condense the whole journey down to a single sitting. It was delightful to discover how fun routing can be when you've got so many wide-open Hall & Petersen levels to play with. (It's especially fascinating how you can take a detour to collect the Chaingun in practically any of Episode 2's levels.)

I've replayed this game many a time over the years, as digital comfort food where I'd be using everything I'd learned about the layouts & secrets to chain overheal into overheal and removing any risk of danger. Trying to boil these routes down to just the bare necessities was a fun exercise and I'm rather pleased that I was able to get Episode 1 under 20 minutes, Episode 2 under 15 minutes, and Episode 3 under 10 minutes.

I uvmaxed old sunder map06 a week or so ago. If you want to watch that then look in the doom videos thread. It’s on there recently.

Attempt: 487 (A new record)

Resurrecting this thread a bit but I'm very proud of this. It took me maybe three days in total to finally 100% (or 118%, thanks archviles) this map with no saves.

image.png.edebdc716573bd2740a8ebd2b492ec4b.png

I completed Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra-Violence doing pistol starts and going for 100% kills and secrets. No mid-level saves either.

Oh yeah, and I once completed all of SNES Doom on Nightmare. No cheats, no save states, all single segment.

Beside this being my 666th post on this site, I finished Doom 64 yesterday for the first time.

First standalone idgames release and I'm grateful to Xymph for his idgames web uploader. 

I should have learned how to use FTP but i was too lazy for that.

1559390109_2022-08-0618_41_48-ZDOOM2.8.1(2016-02-1615_46_350300).png.a3de90a185533d573c3e1337c1e41d12.png

Words cannot convey the utter shock and horror I felt when I came to the realization this was not the final map.

Edit:

image.png.645de0e9c3ac7bfc187b4a54532b0d92.png

Never mind, turns out the last three maps are relatively easy. A year ago, I was stuck on MAP27. In that time, my brother has obtained a girlfriend, my parents have grown a garden, my friend has a job. Today, I'm bitchless, I eat trash, and I spend most my life doing next to nothing in terms of productivity, but at least I have the right to say I beat MAP27 and so on. GG.

Edited by Spineapple tea

Year old news, but completing sigil uv plus fast 100 percent without saves ( using a gamepad) is still one of my favorite goals I accomplished. And a congrats from Romero was amazing.

finished both back to saturn episodes 1 and 2 in about a week..I was playing on hurt me plenty in both. I liked the first episode quite a bit more but those are really great megawads

Little sorry for the bump. I've been sitting on this one for a fat minute... I beat E4M2 Perfect Hatred on International-Doom's Ultra-Nightmare! mode. The main reason why I didn't want to upload it was because I didn't think to record a flippin' .lmp file at the time because it wouldn't be vanilla compatible, but I know how things can seem (I've watched the Jobst videos). Damnit tho, I'm proud of this so I'm posting it now! I haven't attempted this again since the video (10 months ago) so I'm hella rusty but I do want to get a .lmp of another completion for it one day. (Edit. So I knocked this out real quick. Too rusty to do the whole level again so I took some safer approaches and skipped a lot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mdlkxo4jxa8zo4/hate.lmp?dl=0)

(Sorry for the constant global enemy audio, this was a bug with International-Doom at the time, it can be found fixed at the changelog history https://github.com/JNechaevsky/inter-doom/wiki/Changelog-(previous-versions)#international-doom-521-2022-03-08)

Edited by Koff3Katt

Posted (edited)

Didn't wanted to start another thread but, after some search with the words "accomplishments", "runs" "challenges" "silly" "craziest"... didn't found another already existing so I end here with this bump... sorry.

Thinking about the ridiculous "tour de force" by Zeromaster and since I have a "péché mignon" which is playing some hard maps on iddad and let all the guys infight to see how far they can go killing each others, I was asking myself :

Are there some runs that, at  the same time, are pacifist and UVmax ?

(excluding monsterless levels or levels where all the monsters can be telefragged or crushed by a switch pressing (for instance excluding this run 

Spoiler

)

I bet it's randombase but, who knows ?

Edit : found 4 or 5 searching UVmax/pacifist on youtube, but if you know others...

A bit ridiculous when compared to other posts here but : this evening I finally was able to do legit the sequence "timed strafe jump to get to the top of the left tower" then "annoying sr50 jump in two steps" to reach the elevated teleport which leads to the pervert secret in TimeofDeath's PPPP. It really was a victory to me !

By the way, I was asking myself, in another thread, about my favorite ToD map after discovering The room below... and after replaying PPPP : TRB is awesome, PPPP is awesomer.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:25 PM, apichatpong said:

A bit ridiculous when compared to other posts here but : this evening I finally was able to do legit the sequence "timed strafe jump to get to the top of the left tower" then "annoying sr50 jump in two steps" to reach the elevated teleport which leads to the pervert secret in TimeofDeath's PPPP. It really was a victory to me !

By the way, I was asking myself, in another thread, about my favorite ToD map after discovering The room below... and after replaying PPPP : TRB is awesome, PPPP is awesomer.

Indeed! I don't remember having to use SR50 to get that secret though, but it's been a while.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Indeed! I don't remember having to use SR50 to get that secret though, but it's been a while.

Ah ! It's quite possible I complicated my way to this teleporter, i'll try without it !

Edit : ... and you were right, totally doable without SR50...

Edited by apichatpong

Just beat Mostly Harmful(Map32) of Hell Revealed saveless! There is a ton of soulspheres and megaspheres to lessen the difficulty...but I'm happy with that!

Finished map 01 of Magnolia on ITYTD (with saves and with iddad on cyber fiesta... and some luck with the imps corridor with cyber shooting, archviles, revenants and hell knights).

The big thing for me has been to find all the secrets without looking at doom wiki. Took me one year (not trying every day, of course)(you may laugh).

Strangely, I missed (or forgot) about the red bars in the exit room and so spent quite some time trying to find what I thought was the last secret... when found, it was not a secret... after some more time around, I resigned and discovered the last secret area is non-reachable.

I played through both IWADS (Doom and Doom II) on nightmare doing pistol starts going for 100% kills, items and secrets.

I have not played nightmare anywhere else outside of NERF and these two exceptions, and don't really intend to do so anytime soon in the future. I must have spent 100 attempts on Map04 in Doom II alone, that initial hallway full of hitscanners can really go and... pound some sand I guess! In retrospect the whole pistol start thing was a massive mistake, and had I not done so I would have probably completed the IWADs in no time at all. It could also just be a skill issue on my part, lmao. It feels like a massive random crapshoot to make it out of the starting cubbyhole to begin with, at least the deaths are quick and swift and there is not much time lost dying at the start like that. It also doesn't help that the area needs to be traversed multiple times, and it is just so dense with zombiemen, shotgunners and chaingunners, lol. I truly started feeling out of my depths on this one and started wondering if I would complete it at all, however after map04 it was relatively smooth sailing. I would have not expected the early maps to be the greater challenge but I guess it makes sense, considering the enemy roster of the earlier maps. Almost anything that throws projectiles can usually be ignored, it's the hitscanners that will do me in in short order on these nightmare runs.

After much practice, I can now reliably run into that secret nook before the wall closes on it in E2M4, you know, just before that first crusher.  

had made and published my very first speedmap this week, "revy reverie" for a cp. completed it in a single day due to the impending cp's deadline. personally, not a fun experience (skipping lunch etc), but i wanted to do it anyway :P

Spoiler

241761305_revyreverie.4screenshots.png.65bdd17e5c1ca3d481dc6f3a763978c5.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rita remton said:

had made and published my very first speedmap this week, "revy reverie" for a cp. completed it in a single day due to the impending cp's deadline. personally, not a fun experience (skipping lunch etc), but i wanted to do it anyway :P

Hide contents

241761305_revyreverie.4screenshots.png.65bdd17e5c1ca3d481dc6f3a763978c5.png

That looks incredible, the way you made those arches looks really clean. If you don't mind me asking, what community project is this level for? (assuming its publicly announced of course)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Napeyear said:

That looks incredible, the way you made those arches looks really clean. If you don't mind me asking, what community project is this level for? (assuming its publicly announced of course)

thanks! it's this one:

I've had brief (online) interactions with Tom Hall and, as of yesterday, John Romero. Granted, it's not really that hard to contact them, but it's still pretty cool regardless :P