Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serge Jkn

Annie: Episode 2 demo released!

The first map of Annie: Episode 2 is finally here! This should give you an idea what to expect for the rest of episode 2. I'm looking forward to reading your feedback/comments.

Download links

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3eJLK

Moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/annie/downloads/annie-episode-2-demo

GameBanana: https://gamebanana.com/maps/211006

Additional information

Before you play, make sure you have the latest version of GZDoom. You will also need the original doom2.wad file.

This mod requires jumping, crouching and mouselook to progress. The mod also relies heavily on dynamic lights and other GZDoom specific features.

Installation

1. move AnnieE2demo.zip to your GZDoom directory;
2. drag and drop AnnieE2demo.zip to GZDoom.exe.

Have fun playing!

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145235.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145610.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145624.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145726.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145824.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145839.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_145904.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200715_150555.png

Woah, looks like we all have some serious competition. Nice use of sector portals, great detail. This is visually amazing in every way. Hows the gameplay tho?

Looks interesting!  It has a kind of early 2000s shooter vibe to it which I'm digging.  

Playthrough (once again forgot the enable sound recording):

Atmosphere is pretty good, the mix of textures works surprisingly well. Was playing on HMP, balancing felt good. Progression felt a bit muddled. It's not clear that you have to get all skull keys unless you stumble on the door in the start area. So for me it felt more like randomly running around, getting the skull keys didn't really mean anything, since I didn't know what they are for. It just didn't feel like a step in progression, since there wasn't a sense of "cool, not I can go to path X". Same for the blue key card.

The end fight...

Spoiler

... was a bit annoying at first because of the BFG Arachnorb until I realized it's just a normal BFG ball where you can avoid the tracers by hiding behind a pillar before the ball hit. Then the fight became trivial.

Watched the playthrough. Was enjoyable! By the looks of it you managed to navigate quite well. Like I said on stream, I understand your comment on progression. The reason for getting the skulls in any order was obviously a choice to try and make the level more open with multiple paths to take. It's definitely a different approach compared to my other maps so I'll have to see where it goes and how it's generally received. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

Just to clarify, my issue isn't that I have to get the three skull keys, that's perfectly fine. My issue is that it's not clear that you have to get them.

If you look at the door that requires the 3 keys:

C0oN5Tf.png

There's absolutely nothing that tells you that you need 3 keys unless you walk up to it and look on the floor.

This could be sloved by shoving the requirement into the player's face, something like this:

PcQbqQQ.png

Then even with a cursory glance in the direction the player will (most likely) see that they have to get all three skull keys, and off they can go on their journey.

Hmm that is actually a great idea. I can definitely cook something up to make it more clear,  just thought the skulls on the floor looked cool :)