Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Announcing, the first ever magazine on Doomworld: The Doom Master Wadazine!

AMAZING, ENDLESS!!!
I love your enthusiasm and the whole idea!!!
WE as a community needed something like this.

I have seen some really cool post by members that could be small articles, maybe a section called ''reflection time on the forums''.
And another one named Reader's Corner, with a few notable opinions on the previous issue, maybe?
Readers opinions are always good and insightful and work as a feedback, too.

I would love to contribute, don't know if as a Writer or Editor, as a wadazine dedicated to my favourite game is something i always dreamed about, but i don't know if i will have the time to help :(
The article you mentioned by Not Jabba on the ''25 years of Doom'' is one i love to re-read almost every month since it was posted.

I would like to contribute to this. It's been a long time since I last wrote something (I haven't got a chance to blog recently, either), and I'd like to rejuice up my writing skills. Best of luck to this project!

10 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

This isn't the first.

I  looked for examples of a project similar to what I'm doing and so far I have not found anything similar, the closest is the /newstuff Chronicles. Could you tell me which one you are referring to?

2 minutes ago, Endless said:

I  looked for examples of a project similar to what I'm doing and so far I have not found anything similar, the closest is the /newstuff Chronicles. Could you tell me which one you are referring to?

The last one that was done (by ScubaSteve) was handed out to attendees of QuakeCon last year.

5 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

I would like to contribute to this. It's been a long time since I last wrote something (I haven't got a chance to blog recently, either), and I'd like to rejuice up my writing skills. Best of luck to this project!

You are absolutely welcome to issue #2! PM whenever you want ;)

13 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

AMAZING, ENDLESS!!!
I love your enthusiasm and the whole idea!!!
WE as a community needed something like this.

I have seen some really cool post by members that could be small articles, maybe a section called ''reflection time on the forums''.
And another one named Reader's Corner, with a few notable opinions on the previous issue, maybe?
Readers opinions are always good and insightful and work as a feedback, too.

I would love to contribute, don't know if as a Writer or Editor, as a wadazine dedicated to my favourite game is something i always dreamed about, but i don't know if i will have the time to help :(
The article you mentioned by Not Jabba on the ''25 years of Doom'' is one i love to re-read almost every month since it was posted.

Thanks a lot man! You are always welcome to any addition, does not matter if its small or big, you are welcome! :D

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The last one that was done (by ScubaSteve) was handed out to attendees of QuakeCon last year.

Is there any link or thread on Doonworld ? Would really like you check it out.

24 minutes ago, Endless said:

It wasn't a Doomworld forum thing. Rather a Doomworld community thing.

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

So, is there a link?

6 minutes ago, dmslr said:

So, is there a link?

My previous answer should have implied that no, there is no link (at least not one I know of offhand). Otherwise I'd have just given that instead.

38 minutes ago, Endless said:

13 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Sorry. Didn't know this was straight up the answer to the question above.

25 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I don't understand, its a Doomworld community things but there is no way for the community on the forums to read it?

Also, @Endless, if you have time, take a read to this:

Its one the best articles i read about a game in general in a long time.
Might feel a little joke-ish but its deep and psychological.
Great material!

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

I don't understand, its a Doomworld community things but there is no way for the community on the forums to read it?

Yes, these things happen. As I said it was at QuakeCon, a good chunk of the older community just know each other. I suppose it can seem a smidge alienating to new users, but it's sort of unavoidable given the age of the forums. 

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Yes, these things happen. As I said it was at QuakeCon, a good chunk of the older community just know each other. I suppose it can seem a smidge alienating to new users, but it's sort of unavoidable given the age of the forums. 

Oh i feel exiled from my nesting place now.
Maybe @Scuba Steve could help with some screenies of that issue?

Heh. This might actually be something I'm interested in reading weekly/bi-weeky/monthy (or however this is going to be dated :l).

Hopefully I'll make it in there one day. <3

Just now, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Heh. This might actually be something I'm interested in reading weekly/bi-weeky/monthy (or however this is going to be dated :l).

Hopefully I'll make it in there one day. <3

Just now, DynamiteKaitorn said:

(or however this is going to be dated :l). 

Haha, still working on the publishing rate.

You are always welcome to PM if you wish to contribute some day! :D

This is excellent. Clearly a lot of effort went into this and the result is something really fun! Like we talked about in PM yesterday, I’ll happily make a new dir on Doomshack for these to be uploaded to so people can read them as regular web pages right in their browser.

For a while I thought doing this in pure HTML might be easier, but the PDF format works perfectly for it. Keep up the fine work!

I like the idea. I would love to contribute, although I am not sure how. I cannot write very well (English not being my first language at all and even in my native language I am not quite a writer, hah) and don't even know much about Doom. What I can do is layout, though, but here we have another problem, mainly me being weird and using Corel Draw instead of Adobe industry standards. One time I took some "reviews" my friends wrote about games and made them look like a gaming magazine spread, which was funny because the writing of my friends is very amateur. I think your mag could use a tiny bit of layout, but I am not sure if I can contribute really. Additionally I would be worried about a bi-weekly schedule. I don't think you can keep this up for a long time. How about once a month?

Check my layouts out here:

Spoiler

beyond_good_and_evilmik3f.png

mr_bonesxlkuw.png

reflex_brpekrb.png

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This is excellent. Clearly a lot of effort went into this and the result is something really fun! Like we talked about in PM yesterday, I’ll happily make a new dir on Doomshack for these to be uploaded to so people can read them as regular web pages right in their browser.

For a while I thought doing this in pure HTML might be easier, but the PDF format works perfectly for it. Keep up the fine work!

You've been a great advisor and your words have inspired me greatly! Thank you always for all the help.

1 minute ago, elend said:

I like the idea. I would love to contribute, although I am not sure how. I cannot write very well (English not being my first language at all and even in my native language I am not quite a writer, hah) and don't even know much about Doom. What I can do is layout, though, but here we have another problem, mainly me being weird and using Corel Draw instead of Adobe industry standards. One time I took some "reviews" my friends wrote about games and made them look like a gaming magazine spread, which was funny because the writing of my friends is very amateur. I think your mag could use a tiny bit of layout, but I am not sure if I can contribute really. Additionally I would be worried about a bi-weekly schedule. I don't think you can keep this up for a long time. How about once a month?

Check my layouts out here:

Hide contents

reflex_brpekrb.png

I think this one is fantastic! Your contribution, any contribution you make, would be very welcome, especially a graphic one to give more flavor to the magazine.

Additionally I would be worried about a bi-weekly schedule. I don't think you can keep this up for a long time. How about once a month?

Yes, this is something that might be quite troublesome, so I'm thinking maybe twice a month. After all, the magazine wont be something like a PC gamer 100 pages size tome. The first issue took me about a week of work, so, we'll see!

I think that twice a month is better.
It lets new things appeard, and then we made a proper coverage, like a review of the wad/mod.
This way, also, the contributors can handle their time in a better way.
I suggest this approach because, even when projects are released, not much people notice them.
I fear that, for example, Three is a Crowd! remains almost unnoticed.

Amazing vanilla megawad with lot of effort and very creative and imaginative ways of implement storytelling mechanics and gameplay changing maps.
For me, is the best vanilla megawad iso far this year.

Also thinking in long term is also good.
For example, there are things than need a swift coverage, but other things, like reviews and articles, can be published on different issues.

I would be willing to make some WAD reviews for the thing if you want! Perhaps share news about Console Doom since that's my specialty?

Issue #1 of the Doom zine was a QuakeCon exclusive. Some of the pages can be seen online, but the magazine was reserved for attendees. The cover of the magazine is the same as the 2019 cacowards, but says Doom eternal instead, and the comic strip is one of the interior pages.

26 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Issue #1 of the Doom zine was a QuakeCon exclusive. Some of the pages can be seen online, but the magazine was reserved for attendees. The cover of the magazine is the same as the 2019 cacowards, but says Doom eternal instead, and the comic strip is one of the interior pages.

Looking at the signed page, it was a great day!

Is there any photo of this cool crew that conmemorates the event to share?

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

I would be willing to make some WAD reviews for the thing if you want! Perhaps share news about Console Doom since that's my specialty?

Absolutely. You choose the WAD you think is worthy and simply send a PM and we'll coordinate!

50 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

That explains why I never found any information about it on Doomworld. It looks like something pretty interesting.