Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

2 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

- Rename the existing MAP01 to something like MAP01B.

- Add a new MAP01 which has a wall with a big texture listing the compatible ports.

- Implement a UMAPINFO, so those using a compatible port go to the correct first level. (And possibly an old fashioned MAPINFO for ZDaemon.)

Problem with this plan is that the map lumpnames are still restricted to MAP01, MAP02, etc. for UMAPINFO, so MAP01B being the real map wouldn't work.

What could work however could be making use of UMAPINFO's capability to have bossdeath triggers, by forcibly killing a monster. If the death doesn't trigger anything, show the texture!

47 minutes ago, dragon's influence said:

nahhhh!!! i hate then i forget these things... >.=.<"

sorry but prboom+ umapinfo fork don't work!

Are you using the compiled build linked to in the first post of the PrBoom+/UMAPINFO v 2.5.1.7 thread? If so, that version is over a year old - you'll need a more recent one.

Not sure where official compiled builds are hosted, but Recca posted a relatively recent one on page 15 of that thread.

Just now, NiGHTMARE said:

Are you using the compiled build linked to in the first post of the PrBoom+/UMAPINFO v 2.5.1.7 thread? If so, that version is over a year old - you'll need a more recent one.

Not sure where official compiled builds are hosted, but Recca posted a relatively recent one on page 15 of that thread.

ahhhhh, that explain it! thank you! ^.=.^

43 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

Problem with this plan is that the map lumpnames are still restricted to MAP01, MAP02, etc. for UMAPINFO, so MAP01B being the real map wouldn't work.

What could work however could be making use of UMAPINFO's capability to have bossdeath triggers, by forcibly killing a monster. If the death doesn't trigger anything, show the texture!

Ah, I didn't realise that. However, apparently you're not limited to two numbers so we could make it MAP001 or MAP010.

Map28 updated.

• Retextured
  • New enemy placement
  • Better geometry
  • New Icon of Sin battle (once you get the yellow skull key, which should be placed at the end of the level, you can then access the chaingunner bunkers. From here the icon is revealed and you can shoot rockets into the Icon's brain.)
Spoiler

xtqHHLM.png

https://www.mediafire.com/file/15q4plfxeqtvwbe/NEGATIVEONE_v2.57.wad.7z/file

I noticed when map 04 was merged with the other hell map that the layout changes I made were not implemented. Were they forgotten or ultimately decided against?

Tiny MAP 03 update

There was a design "error": the ceiling of the crate room was much higher than the exterior height of the building it was supposed to contain. I fixed it by raising the entire outdoor area upwards. This also eliminated the awkward lift that led to the yellow key area. Now monsters can walk in and out of the building with ease.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s6144xr6n4zoegv/NEGATIVEONE_v2.58.rar/file

@Athel: There was a version mix up (someone else used the same version number as you), but I thought I added your changes back in later. Maybe there was another mix up? I know some changes I made to MAP20 also got lost somewhere along the way.

If you still have your version of MAP04, I'm happy to add the changes in again, or you can do it yourself if you like .

Edited by NiGHTMARE

On 8/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, AtticTelephone said:

It's fine to use DeHackEd in any way, just make sure it's Boom/PRBoom compatible.

This is the last word from Attic about format, don't listen to that jabroni Obsidian

8 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

This is the last word from Attic about format, don't listen to that jabroni Obsidian

that was a million pages ago and Attic doesn't really have any objections to us using DEHEXT so far

technically it's PRBoom+ compatible anyway but only with a fork

1 hour ago, NiGHTMARE said:

@Athel: There was a version mix up (someone else used the same version number as you), but I thought I added your changes back in later. Maybe there was another mix up? I know some changes I made to MAP20 also got lost somewhere along the way.

If you still have your version of MAP04, I'm happy to add the changes in again, or you can do it yourself if you like .

Nah I can add them in eventually, I might continue touching up that map in the coming days. I'm not going to claim it just yet though since I'm trying to work through other things/

Alright, when Negative Two becomes a thing, it's going to be restricted to Boom-compatible, because I don't like using GZDoom, and I don't want to download a fork of PRBoom+.

2 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Alright, when Negative Two becomes a thing, it's going to be restricted to Boom-compatible, because I don't like using GZDoom, and I don't want to download a fork of PRBoom+.

Nooooo don't give in to peer pressure....

12 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

Nooooo don't give in to peer pressure....

What do you mean? With the way this is going, it's going to become a weird GZDoom gameplay mod and level pack.

7 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

The original PRBoom+ is no longer updated, and the UMAPINFO fork is essentially its unofficial continuation (just as GZDoom is the unofficial continuation of ZDoom). Don't forget that PRBoom+ is itself a fork of PRBoom (which is itself a modification of Boom)! I'm sure I read somewhere that they've even been given the blessing of PRBoom+'s creator, entryway.

If you *really* don't want to use either the fork or GZDoom, you do have other options: why not give Eternity and Doom Retro a try? The latter in particular is quite similar to PRBoom+.

UMAPINFO and DEHEXTRA are only going to become more popular amongst modders, so unless you want to miss out on a lot of future wads you'll need to find a port which supports these features at some point anyway. Installing a new port doesn't mean you have to wipe the old one off your HD, so it will still be there for the classics :).

Edited by NiGHTMARE

1 hour ago, NiGHTMARE said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they've even been given the blessing of PRBoom+'s creator, entryway.

I doubt that, but it was given the blessing of Prboom's creator (I suspect that is what you are remembering).

Reserving MAP01 and MAP25, shouldn't be too long.

EDIT: I noticed Captain Toenail's version is labelled 2.30 whereas the version before that was 2.59. Probably a typo, but just in case I'll merge in his MAP21 changes to 2.59 along with my own updates.

next version of this should target gzdoom directly. it will allow for so many cool things in the levels

Finally done with MAP01 and MAP25 (for now), so I'm uploading a new version. Screenshots:

eAzmdkA.png

c28qt32.png

Ovksvij.png

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bsdmbi5fbiv7oon/NEGATIVEONE_v2.61.rar/file

Changelog:

- Added a few more textures and flats, including the new BIGBRIK variants (@PinkFlamingo, please feel free to rename these as they're going to be different than how you've named them) and Action Doom trucks

- MAP01: Improved the exit area and made a few other misc tweaks around the level

- MAP13: Added a truck in the collapsed tunnel

- MAP18: Added a truck in front of one of the buildings

- MAP25: Added some more detailing around the level

- Added a new Arch-vile (recoloured Diabolist by Amuscaria).

My current to-do list:

- New intro to MAP12 which connects it to earlier levels thematically (hope to get this finished in the next couple of days)
- Improvements to a certain corridor in MAP20 (the one with doors you currently can't fit under ;))
- Finish the Shadowborg, improved ZSpecOps, and Uber Double Chaingunner sprites
- Visual tweaks to MAP02

- Rotate the MAP03 computer room, reimplement the lowering stairs, and add a connection back to the red key door
- Improve the arena room in MAP05

- Merge in some of Virgil the Doom Poet's changes to the unfinished Plutonia 2 submission that forms part of MAP09
- Possibly merge a couple more unfinished levels with MAP06
- Turn the inside area of MAP13 into hotel, with the existing rooms becoming a pool, locker room, etc. The existing corridor will be moved to become the basement
- Add sewer pipes, collapsed tunnels, basements, etc. to the mid-game cavern maps
- Add a Hunted-esque start room and teleporting Arch-Viles to MAP25, and make it slightly more maze-like (and also give it the correct name, "Fire Stalk With Me")

- Fix misalignment caused by replacing the Plutonia brick textures
- Recolour the Pain Elemental/Infernal graphics, so it's distinct from the original custom monster

- Possible: add a fireball to the Baron/Hierophant's hands

- Possible: new Revenant and Cyberdemon sprites, improved Mancubus sprites

Edited by NiGHTMARE