Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

Recommended Posts

Why don't we split the WAD in multiple files? Make it modular.

 

For example we can have one sub-WAD containing only the map data and custom textures, another one with just music, another with just sound, one with monster replacements and one with graphic/sprite replacement.

This way, everybody can experience this project however suits them best. Me, personally I would just like to play the new levels with vanilla sounds and vanilla monsters. Maybe I would load the custom music and graphics too.

 

This wouldn't be too difficult to handle in practice, we can place all the sub-WADS in a single .zip or .rar file, like we are already doing now. Then, you only update the files that you make modifications to and zip everything up again.

 

Example of file structure:

NEGATIVEONE_v0.89.zip

would contain:

N1_MAPS_v0.89.wad

N1_MUSIC_v0.89.wad

N1_SOUND_v0.89.wad

N1_GRAPHICS_v0.89.wad

N1_MONSTERS_v0.89.wad

 

Also, if you don't update a file, you don't need to change its version number. Only update the version number when you actually make a change to the file. The zip file name should always have the highest/latest version number.

 

Just a suggestion.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I've now added the Infernal sprites, replacing the Pain Elemental's. I'll leave it up to someone else to change the behaviour in DeHackEd, add new sounds, etc!

 

I've also merged MAP23 with another old unfinished level. Fittingly enough this was originally going to be part of another "round robin" type project, started by Chris Hansen (who designed the starting area). Again, you should note some Dr. Sleep influences in some areas, while others were inspired by Malcom Sailor's Chord G.

 

Like with the unfinished level that's now part of MAP09, it's mostly unpopulated and there are plenty of dead ends, areas that need expanding, and even a switch that does absolutely nothing.

 

0jidJZU.png

 

pAsGwMe.png

 

Lg6bnk3.png

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uaa50n38k56k1hm/NEGATIVEONE_v0.90.zip/file

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Share this post


Link to post

Pain Elementals and Mancubi are fine to replace, since I kinda want the D64 version of the Mancubus, which was the coolest of all the enemies in D64.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Why don't we split the WAD in multiple files? Make it modular.

 

For example we can have one sub-WAD containing only the map data and custom textures, another one with just music, another with just sound, one with monster replacements and one with graphic/sprite replacement.

This way, everybody can experience this project however suits them best. Me, personally I would just like to play the new levels with vanilla sounds and vanilla monsters. Maybe I would load the custom music and graphics too.

 

This wouldn't be too difficult to handle in practice, we can place all the sub-WADS in a single .zip or .rar file, like we are already doing now. Then, you only update the files that you make modifications to and zip everything up again.

 

Example of file structure:

NEGATIVEONE_v0.89.zip

would contain:

N1_MAPS_v0.89.wad

N1_MUSIC_v0.89.wad

N1_SOUND_v0.89.wad

N1_GRAPHICS_v0.89.wad

N1_MONSTERS_v0.89.wad

 

Also, if you don't update a file, you don't need to change its version number. Only update the version number when you actually make a change to the file. The zip file name should always have the highest/latest version number.

 

Just a suggestion.

 

I don’t know why, but I don’t really like this idea. I think it’s way easier to just have one  wad, with the levels, music, maps and monsters, because I don’t like having to load more than 2-3 wads to have the full experience.

 

The idea is fine, but I’m used to just having to load 1 wad file.

Share this post


Link to post

Added an old cave map of mine as MAP14. Will make more edits to it later.

 

NEGATIVEONE_v0.91.zip

 

Btw, since MAP12 is also a cave map, can it be possible to replace MAP13 and MAP14 with each other in order to have both cave maps in a sequence? 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Pain Elementals and Mancubi are fine to replace, since I kinda want the D64 version of the Mancubus, which was the coolest of all the enemies in D64.

 

D64's sprites clash quite badly with Doom 1 and 2's, but this is where I turn to Hell-Forged again as Amuscaria's version is clearly at least partially inspired by D64's:

 

ipda2Yo.png  kpQ1fEW.png

 

Edit: Hell-Forged also has a boss-sized Mancubus variant:

 

all9mb5.png

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Elio AF said:

Yooo just wanted to let you know I currently have the file

 

Sir, if you could kindly not edit MAP14 as I'm editing it right now. Will merge it with your version of the wad later.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Rosh Fragger said:

 

Sir, if you could kindly not edit MAP14 as I'm editing it right now. Will merge it with your version of the wad later.

No problem, mate. I'm working on map 23 rn

Share this post


Link to post

Done this before the LoneAlpha edits, again.

 

NEGATIVEONE_v0.95b.zip

 

- Added MAP15 map spot, includes both normal and secret exit, but not the route to reach the secret exit

- Added new midi for MAP15 - "Task Force" by Lee Jackson, from Rise of the Triad

- Changed RSKY2 with that classy starry sky that you see everywhere in Doom maps, author pretty unknown

- Changed sprites for zombiemen and shotgunner with sprites used for Z-Spec and another monster from Realm 667, if they aren't good you can always remove them next time!

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

@Walter confetti Oh well, it should be easy to merge the changes though.

 

I like to do, but my laptop make works only SlumpED (no joking! I'm using that) and crashes when MIDI plays or Map Images are being open lol

Share this post


Link to post

Somebody editing something? Becasuse i got small edit and i dont wanna to destroy someone hours of work

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, waciej said:

Somebody editing something? Becasuse i got small edit and i dont wanna to destroy someone hours of work

Yeah, i'm making Map24, but i also edited some ammo pickups and the music, when i'm done, you can edit whatever you want

Share this post


Link to post

Hey can I get the wad next? I want to fix a couple of things on map 22 and 23. 

By next I mean after waciej, ofc

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Elio AF said:

Hey can I get the wad next? I want to fix a couple of things on map 22 and 23. 

By next I mean after waciej, ofc

I just need to copy my edit to TheStupidestBeing version

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, waciej said:

I just need to copy my edit to TheStupidestBeing version

Ah okay then

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×