Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Doom -1: A Doomworld Experiment

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Rosh Fragger said:

Just a personal opinion, but I don't find some of the new sprites particularly interesting. Firstly, the Freedoom Archvile sprites do not blend in very well with the rest of the monsters as they look cleaner and more polished. Secondly, the new Armor and Berserk sprites do not look very interesting for some reason, or perhaps that's just me. There is just something more nostalgic about most of the default sprites, especially those of pickup items and stuff. Many of the unnecessary sprites are just bloating up the wad. I'm thinking of reverting Archvile back to its original glory. 

If you're gonna change that, then you gotta change the Archvile's Cast Call name i defined.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

MAP 02 update!

- The Cyberdemon room is now some sort of cave.

- I removed the blue lost souls as they did not offer any kind of challenge (I thought, they just blew up?) and added Cacos and Barons instead (cool for infighting action).

- There is also a slow moving lowering wall in front of the exit to prevent you from immediately exiting the level and run past the Cyberdemon. (I guess this is not cool for speedrunners though...)

 

MAP02-080820.png.965d1fa7110be540acadbcd5c64534a7.png

 

MAP 01 very small update

- I added a blue triangle in the starting area that suggests you can walk backwards (triggering a secret). I figured that without a visual clue players would not really find this secret.

 

I changed maximum health back to 100%

- I have been playing with the 300% for a week now and it just completely unbalances everything in the game. I don't really see the point of such a change. Just add more health and Megaspheres to levels if you want more health? Or lower the damage monsters do?

- I guess you could make a case for it, if you would completely overhaul the system though. For example by replacing the Soulsphere and Megasphere with a different kind of power up. (these powerups are kinda pointless if regular medikits increase your health cumulatively)

 

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vbmmpzhah856jez/NEGATIVEONE_v2.36.rar/file

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

MAP 02 update!

- The Cyberdemon room is now some sort of cave.

- I removed the blue lost souls as they did not offer any kind of challenge (I thought, they just blew up?) and added Cacos and Barons instead (cool for infighting action).

 

MAP02-080820.png.965d1fa7110be540acadbcd5c64534a7.png

 

MAP 01 very small update

- I added a blue triangle in the starting area that suggests you can walk backwards (triggering a secret). I figured that without a visual clue players would not really find this secret.

 

I changed maximum health back to 100%

- I have been playing with the 300% for a week now and it just completely unbalances everything in the game. I don't really see the point of such a change. Just add more health and Megaspheres to levels if you want more health?

 

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vbmmpzhah856jez/NEGATIVEONE_v2.36.rar/file

do we have to merge it with my version or is it built off of that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KILLA DIO said:

do we have to merge it with my version or is it built off of that one?

 

Oh! Sorry. I did not see your latest update.

Yes, it has to be merged, please. I have added my changes to version 2.35

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

 

Oh! Sorry. I did not see your latest update.

Yes, it has to be merged then. I have added my changes to version 2.35

I will merge them don't worry

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I made this STBAR_XX [Widescreen Hud] when i was bored:

STBAR-XX.png.4c0196e9456fd1a8a9cb4274fd533d48.png

 

 

Edited by HitBoi64

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
  • New armor sprites. The blue armor is based on the new chaingunners.
  • I also added in HitBoi64's new status bar. It looks good in GZDoom (not sure if it is compatible with other ports)
  • Minor changes to the uzi's muzzle flash timings
  • New strings for the armor.
Spoiler

wO71sRi.png

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ktnpgmbbv5dktpa/NEGATIVEONE_v2.37.wad.zip/file

 

Edit: reserving map18

Edited by Captain Toenail

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Regarding the discussion on the last page, my opinion if that if you change 90% of the game's sprites but leave the other 10% untouched, it just seems weird and even make the project feel unfinished.

 

As a few people have been complaining about the file size, how about splitting the project into two wads? The first would have the levels, textures, and flats, and the other would have everything else.

 

Anyway, I've expanded my enemy revamping project:

 

RvDzuig.png

 

From left to right - 

 

Shadowborg Trooper. A hybrid of MagicWizard's Shadow Trooper, and Neoworm's Nailborg Trooper. Below are the two enemies it's based on, and a variant with light grey armour. I personally prefer the brown, as the all-grey one seems too bland to me.

 

ZSpecOps. Original by Ghastly_dragon. I've added blood to its hands and fixed its arm band.

 

Uber Double Chaingunner. A hybrid of HorrorMovieGuy's UberChaingunner and Amuscaria's Double Chaingunner, adding the second chaingun, bloody upper legs, and boots from the latter to the former.

 

Vulgar Imp. Although still ultimately based on Amuscaria's Vulgar it's now a recolour of Dreadopp's Agaures, which has an improved attack sequence. This one is already complete.

 

Dire Revenant. A hybrid of Amuscaria's Draugr, 00_Zombie_00's Melee Revenant, and the OG Revenant. I may not finish this, as it's quite a lot of work (but I hope to, as I think it looks cool :)).

 

Aracknight. As this is still using the OG Arachnotron plasmaball in -1, I've simply recoloured its firing frame to green. Another one already complete.

 

D3 Mancubus. Original from Revenge of Evil, not sure who did the recolouring? Fixing some colouring issues, mainly on the guns, tubes, and toenails.

 

Diabolist. Mainly just a recolour, though I've also added blood added back to its death frames. This one is also already complete.

 

EDIT: Something else I've been toying around with is adding the Hell Warrior's shield to the Satyr. There's not much for it -1 since there's no "Block" codepointer, but if we go ahead with a GZDoom-based sequel I'll try to get him finished.

 

rEEkXms.png

 

EDIT 2: A couple of alternative Revenant concepts, based on the Doom RPG Ghoul by DBJ87.

 

eMYWWXM.png

 

EDIT 3: An alternative Mancubus concept, based on Amuscaria's Corpulent.

 

FKvr5Cm.png

 

EDIT 4: Final one for the day. Adding the hands from Amuscaria's Hellion to the orange Diabolist.

 

Rldmisx.png

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Regarding the discussion on the last page, my opinion if that if you change 90% of the game's sprites but leave the other 10% untouched, it just seems weird and even make the project feel unfinished.

 

As a few people have been complaining about the file size, how about splitting the project into two wads? The first would have the levels, textures, and flats, and the other would have everything else.

 

Anyway, I've expanded my enemy revamping project:

 

RvDzuig.png

 

From left to right - 

 

Shadowborg Trooper. A hybrid of MagicWizard's Shadow Trooper, and Neoworm's Nailborg Trooper. Below are the two enemies it's based on, and a variant with light grey armour. I personally prefer the brown, as the all-grey one seems too bland to me.

 

ZSpecOps. Original by Ghastly_dragon. I've added blood to its hands and fixed its arm band.

 

Uber Double Chaingunner. A hybrid of HorrorMovieGuy's UberChaingunner and Amuscaria's Double Chaingunner, adding the second chaingun, bloody upper legs, and boots from the latter to the former.

 

Vulgar Imp. Although still ultimately based on Amuscaria's Vulgar it's now a recolour of Dreadopp's Agaures, which has an improved attack sequence. This one is already complete.

 

Dire Revenant. A hybrid of Amuscaria's Draugr, 00_Zombie_00's Melee Revenant, and the OG Revenant. I may not finish this, as it's quite a lot of work (but I hope to, as I think it looks cool :)).

 

Aracknight. As this is still using the OG Arachnotron plasmaball in -1, I've simply recoloured its firing frame to green. Another one already complete.

 

D3 Mancubus. Original from Revenge of Evil, not sure who did the recolouring? Fixing some colouring issues, mainly on the guns, tubes, and toenails.

 

Diabolist. Mainly just a recolour, though I've also added blood added back to its death frames. This one is also already complete.

when you do these can you edit the dehacked for A) some new names and B) make chaingunner drop ammo boxes

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

RvDzuig.png

Will we be able to add all of these monster variants as separate monsters? That would be super cool!

Share this post


Link to post

In regards to this project, these are all intended as direct replacers. However, I had the idea a while ago of doing a Borderlands and Fallout 4-esque Badass/Legendary creatures mod (if you're not familiar with either game, they're randomly spawning tougher versions of normal enemies) and these would all be perfect candidates.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

In regards to this project, these are all intended as direct replacers. However, I had the idea a while ago of doing a Borderlands and Fallout 4-esque Badass/Legendary creatures mod (if you're not familiar with either game, they're randomly spawning tougher versions of normal enemies) and these would all be perfect candidates.

That will give this wad a whole another level of awesomeness! 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Regarding the discussion on the last page, my opinion if that if you change 90% of the game's sprites but leave the other 10% untouched, it just seems weird and even make the project feel unfinished.

 

As a few people have been complaining about the file size, how about splitting the project into two wads? The first would have the levels, textures, and flats, and the other would have everything else.

 

Anyway, I've expanded my enemy revamping project:

 

RvDzuig.png

 

I like all of these sprites. They are awesome!

 

EDIT: One thing I've noticed though. The Cacodemon replacement sometimes has its head disappearing into the ceiling. Can't remember this happening in regular Doom (with regular Cacos). Could it be that the replacement sprites are a bit taller but the hitbox is still the old size?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

EDIT: One thing I've noticed though. The Cacodemon replacement sometimes has its head disappearing into the ceiling. Can't remember this happening in regular Doom (with regular Cacos). Could it be that the replacement sprites are a bit taller but the hitbox is still the old size?

 

I'm not really a fan of that Caco anyway. The sprites are cartoony and the death animation is really rough. Might be worth finding another? There's plenty of Caco edits out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

custom content is cool but we don't need to make iwad levels of custom files.

9 hours ago, KILLA DIO said:

listen, you cant just ask people not to change things on a social experiment made for people to change things. I can assure you if you revert the sprites they will be changed right back. people are going to change the sprites and you cant stop that

 

Edited by dragon's influence

Share this post


Link to post

 

Spoiler
2 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Regarding the discussion on the last page, my opinion if that if you change 90% of the game's sprites but leave the other 10% untouched, it just seems weird and even make the project feel unfinished.

 

As a few people have been complaining about the file size, how about splitting the project into two wads? The first would have the levels, textures, and flats, and the other would have everything else.

 

Anyway, I've expanded my enemy revamping project:

 

RvDzuig.png

 

From left to right - 

 

Shadowborg Trooper. A hybrid of MagicWizard's Shadow Trooper, and Neoworm's Nailborg Trooper. Below are the two enemies it's based on, and a variant with light grey armour. I personally prefer the brown, as the all-grey one seems too bland to me.

 

ZSpecOps. Original by Ghastly_dragon. I've added blood to its hands and fixed its arm band.

 

Uber Double Chaingunner. A hybrid of HorrorMovieGuy's UberChaingunner and Amuscaria's Double Chaingunner, adding the second chaingun, bloody upper legs, and boots from the latter to the former.

 

Vulgar Imp. Although still ultimately based on Amuscaria's Vulgar it's now a recolour of Dreadopp's Agaures, which has an improved attack sequence. This one is already complete.

 

Dire Revenant. A hybrid of Amuscaria's Draugr, 00_Zombie_00's Melee Revenant, and the OG Revenant. I may not finish this, as it's quite a lot of work (but I hope to, as I think it looks cool :)).

 

Aracknight. As this is still using the OG Arachnotron plasmaball in -1, I've simply recoloured its firing frame to green. Another one already complete.

 

D3 Mancubus. Original from Revenge of Evil, not sure who did the recolouring? Fixing some colouring issues, mainly on the guns, tubes, and toenails.

 

Diabolist. Mainly just a recolour, though I've also added blood added back to its death frames. This one is also already complete.

 

EDIT: Something else I've been toying around with is adding the Hell Warrior's shield to the Satyr. There's not much for it -1 since there's no "Block" codepointer, but if we go ahead with a GZDoom-based sequel I'll try to get him finished.

 

rEEkXms.png

 

EDIT 2: A couple of alternative Revenant concepts, based on the Doom RPG Ghoul by DBJ87.

 

eMYWWXM.png

 

EDIT 3: An alternative Mancubus concept, based on Amuscaria's Corpulent.

 

FKvr5Cm.png

 

EDIT 4: Final one for the day. Adding the hands from Amuscaria's Hellion to the orange Diabolist.

 

Rldmisx.png

 

this ones are really cool re-sprites! i loved the doom rpg reference! ^.=.^

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Captain Toenail said:

 

I'm not really a fan of that Caco anyway. The sprites are cartoony and the death animation is really rough. Might be worth finding another? There's plenty of Caco edits out there.

 

I was going to play around with the Caco anyway, as it's unmodified from Amuscaria's original monster. My first idea is to increase its contrast and precious it closer to the OG Caco. Another is to replace it with a resized Overlord.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Cool. I was also going to suggest replacing the SpiderMastermind/Baphomet with a zombie tank instead.

 

The main problem the SpiderMastermind has is it's large hitbox. It makes it extremely vulnerable and unwieldy. The zombie tank woulod be smaller but still armed with the superchaingun attack. You can also make it play tank noises using the SpiderMastermind walking sound action. It will also be cool for the urban levels.

 

I am done with Map18 for now. I have added an office building to the northwest corner, and extended the playing area to the south. Note I have also replaced the red marble column prop with an office chair. If you want to place chairs in your level, it's the 'small red marble column' Thing.

 

I also swapped out the widescreen statbar with the original because it was causing glitches.

 

Edit: merging in RoshFragger's map15 one sec

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, KILLA DIO said:

listen, you cant just ask people not to change things on a social experiment made for people to change things.


Sure you can, welcome to anarchy. If you guys want to, you could get into an infinite loop of changing and then reverting stuff because you disagree. That is, until enough people decide to shut someone out by refusing to download their changes.

Criticism is needed if this monster is going to turn out any good. I like the arch-vile sprites myself but I appreciate people putting in their 2 cents. Without that, there's pretty much no safeguard against a result that is total crap.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Captain Toenail said:

Cool. I was also going to suggest replacing the SpiderMastermind/Baphomet with a zombie tank instead.

 

The main problem the SpiderMastermind has is it's large hitbox. It makes it extremely vulnerable and unwieldy. The zombie tank woulod be smaller but still armed with the superchaingun attack. You can also make it play tank noises using the SpiderMastermind walking sound action. It will also be cool for the urban levels.

 

I am done with Map18 for now. I have added an office building to the northwest corner, and extended the playing area to the south. Note I have also replaced the red marble column prop with an office chair. If you want to place chairs in your level, it's the 'small red marble column' Thing.

 

I also swapped out the widescreen statbar with the original because it was causing glitches.

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7f7uwyztcr9sf8z/NEGATIVEONE_v2.38.wad.zip/file

Can you merge MAP15 from my version of v2.38 above into your version please? 

Share this post


Link to post

Im now working on dehacked with alot creative ideas (Pistol reload [Replaces Refire], More enchanced Monsters, Etc) (:

2 hours ago, Rosh Fragger said:

 

Edit: I'm getting this status bar color bug in the latest version v2.37

Coop-20200808-215626.png?width=960&height=540

It only works on Opengl, I tested it in 8-Bit and it displayed ugly brick borders.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

Cool. I was also going to suggest replacing the SpiderMastermind/Baphomet with a zombie tank instead.

 

I'm not a big fan either, but the final boss is one of the things @AtticTelephone is insistent on keeping. I would think that reducing the size of its hitbox would be acceptable, though.

Share this post


Link to post

This Wad is very buggy, What Complevel does it use?

Also, I edited the Super-Shotgun, I used the Unused2 on the Fire states to make it look more visually empressive.

Tbh, This Wad doesn't have a specific time to upgrade.

I randomly get a youfailit massage on every Source port )':

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×