2. 2. The main reason why you use...

• I'm a speedrunner
    • I often record and play demos
    • I want gameplay as vanilla as possible
    • Other (write below)
  3. 3. Which version?

• 2.5.1.3 / 2.5.1.4
    • 2.5.1.7um

I wanted to learn some statistics. That's it.

Update: I agree with NIH and 2.5.1.7 has been given a separate slot. Make sure to re-vote your choice.

Edited by dmslr

Wouldn't say quite "primary", but I do happen to use it more often than my other ports of choice due to what I'm usually playing, be that a slaughter wad or something more simplistic where I sometimes don't feel for something else, plus there's the Ironman League and IronEagle, and for those it's probably going to always be my go-to port.

As for which version, well I'm always staying up to date with the most recent changes, so 2.5.1.7, it's essentially mainline PrBoom now anyway, and I have absolutely no good reason to stick to old, outdated versions. They're dead, and I've moved on since. PrBoom is dead, long live PrBoom.

I'd like to point out that 2513, 2514, and 2515 are by and large very similar for the vast majority of players, with 2515 being a "standout" for having different "mouse code". The 2517um fork is the most likely to deserve a slot of its own, because it's a fork that is still being somewhat actively worked on, while the UMapinfo capabilities are still vastly unexplored by mappers.

Personally I prefer 2514, because it has the mouse code I've gotten used to over time, and I'd only consider switching if a new PrB+ fork emerged as a stable de facto standard.

i do a little demo recording but mostly play vanilla/boom wads.  performance is a huge thing, too.  i've never had/seen zdoom ports play nicely with maps having lots of lines/sectors, lots of things, or long lines of sight. i see dropping to sub-35fps for long periods as unacceptable.

As Q2 has only single choice, I picked the first one, but all of the reasons apply for why I'm using PrBoom+.

Since the very big difference between 2.514 and 2.515 for the mouse feeling, it's very hard for me to use a new version since it takes me months to get that feeling correct... so I'm sticking with 2.514 for now.

11 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Personally I prefer 2514, because it has the mouse code I've gotten used to over time, and I'd only consider switching if a new PrB+ fork emerged as a stable de facto standard.

I wonder; is there anyone who is ok with post-2.5.1.4 mouse movement? It's freaking terrible. It's so unresponsive and clunky.

3 minutes ago, dmslr said:

I wonder; is there anyone who is ok with post-2.5.1.4 mouse movement? It's freaking terrible. It's so unresponsive and clunky.

Feels the same to me and I consider myself pretty sensitive to mouse input, especially input lag, blame SDL for whatever you're feeling anyway since the handling got changed with the migration. I don't think it can be reversed since it seems to be an API sort of thing, SDL1 vs SDL2.

2 minutes ago, dmslr said:

There are quite a handful of people speedrunning using 2.515. The "terrible" feeling is basically what you would expect when you're switching to something else. Just imagine somebody sorted everything out in your room, and it's super tidy now. You'll feel really strange because things are not at the place where they used to be. Therefore, when you get the hang of it, you probably will feel 2.514 is the "terrible" one.

It's my main source port. I switched to it from GZDoom a while ago because the physics and other things I care about are just like the original game (with the appropriate complevel), while it still has the uncapped framerate and resolution options that I want. I use 2.5.1.4 and 2.5.1.5, mostly the latter. Haven't tried 2.5.1.7um yet.

16 minutes ago, loveless said:

i've never had/seen zdoom ports play nicely with maps having lots of lines/sectors, lots of things, or long lines of sight.

I use ZDoom32 to play maps like these.

15 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

As Q2 has only single choice, I picked the first one

I wanted people to choose one option because, if you are a speedrunner, of course you record lots of demos and, most likely, prefer vanilla gameplay.

8 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

The "terrible" feeling is basically what you would expect when you're switching to something else.

But switching to other ports was not that uncomfortable. Gotta play some more 2.5.1.7.

I play it occasionally entirely for performance reasons on maps like the later Sunder maps. The far simpler back-end let's it handle slaughtermaps better than GZDoom with all the bells and whistles, so it's often a better choice for the top % of map sizes.

Maybe I'm the only one that cares about it enough, but the biggest reason I stick with 2.5.1.7 is the weapon alignment when shooting. Even though I also use a dot as a crosshair, I mostly use the gun's position to aim - it really bothers me when I keep missing shots and realize I've been shooting 5 feet to the left or whatever.

2.5.1.4 and prior show issues with mouse movement, whereas 2.5.1.5 fixes such issue, but has considerably lower quality audio. Anyone else?

@dmslr i've not heard of this one. either way, zdoom movement drives me nuts.  i'm also okay with how 2515 mouse feels. the first version of prb+ i had used was 2514 and the transition was smooth enough.

10 minutes ago, loveless said:

@dmslr i've not heard of this one. either way, zdoom movement drives me nuts.  i'm also okay with how 2515 mouse feels. the first version of prb+ i had used was 2514 and the transition was smooth enough.

2517 is the Graf updated version.  I lovingly call it GZBoom+ lmao

I use it purely to test compatibility for cl2 and boom projects. It's not foolproof, as I've seen with my last release, but it's a lot better than guessing.

I'd rather leave it behind, to be honest. I don't like playing in it and I care less and less for older fashioned Doom.

I use it just because it's the source port that I get the best performance on, my laptop doesn't do very well with GZDoom, plus I don't have to rumage through the settings to actually make it look good, unlike in GZDoom which has tons fluff turned on by default like texture filtering.

I found the switch from 2.5.1.4 to 2.5.1.5 very easy, and the fact that it nuked the 2-key SR50 farce was a reason not to delay in any case. If something doesn't feel or sound right, there are parameters to twiddle with. I always preserved my cfg file between versions, which might have helped avoid accidental changes in settings.

I have no interest in the fork, as I am certain it will break stuff soon, if it hasn't already. Compatibility is only maintained with extreme effort and if it is a development priority.

Link in case anyone doesn't know where to get 2.5.1.5.

(Don't be put off by the fact that it is called "test" - test versions of Prb+ were always at least as stable as the releases.)

I'm on a laptop with integrated graphics and there's just no other port when it comes to rendering speed. It can chew through massive maps with no slowdown 👍

I often use GZDoom when playing casually for no other reason than its compatibility with SmoothDoom. Damn that mod IS smooth. But when i'm playing "seriously" some hard wad like Sunder or Sunlust, I always play with PrBoom+ with the correct complevel. For my own enjoyment, i like to beat wads UV-MAX saveless in the most vanilla boom-compatible way possible, with the challenge of infinite height, etc.

It's my main source port for anything requiring Boom/MBF compatibility (I use Crispy Doom for vanilla/limit-removing compatibility). I do record some demos, but even before recording anything I just wanted vanilla gameplay without much fuss. I use 2.5.1.5; I have mouse issues with 2.5.1.4 where it seems to be influenced by mouse acceleration. I've been trying out some recent 2.5.1.7 builds and may just switch to that thanks to the "carry fractional tics" setting that makes shorttics a lot more tolerable.

I only use PrBoom plus (2.5.1.7, opengl) for slaughtermaps (Sunder mainly) as well as playing and recording demos, cuz I recently got into actually running maps and not watching other ppl so much. I dont perform that well in glboom plus vs gzdoom because for some reason the movement feels weird in vanilla. I can get higher framerates with this and abuse infinite height (imagine if a monster fell off a platform in sunder map05). But gzdoom is my main because the movement feels more natural and fine tuned.

2 hours ago, uber said:

Maybe I'm the only one that cares about it enough, but the biggest reason I stick with 2.5.1.7 is the weapon alignment when shooting. Even though I also use a dot as a crosshair, I mostly use the gun's position to aim - it really bothers me when I keep missing shots and realize I've been shooting 5 feet to the left or whatever.

2515 introduced weapon attack alignment.

I don't use PrBoom so I know this thread isn't really for me, but I just have to say the main reason I don't use it is because the menus are so different from every other port I've tried and it causes me some confusion. As far as watching demos though, I always watch them in PrB+, it's the main reason I have it installed other than testing purposes.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I don't use PrBoom so I know this thread isn't really for me, but I just have to say the main reason I don't use it is because the menus are so different from every other port I've tried and it causes me some confusion.

one of the few reasons i don't use gzdoom! the possibilities to break the intended experience of a wad is insane.  there's so many options, so many things to set.  analysis paralysis is too real.

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

2515 introduced weapon attack alignment.

I know, that's why I actually used 2.5.1.5 for a short time! Then I switched over to the umapinfo fork because... I dunno, looking at high numbers in versions makes me happy.

8 hours ago, seed said:

Wouldn't say quite "primary", but I do happen to use it more often than my other ports of choice due to what I'm usually playing, be that a slaughter wad or something more simplistic where I sometimes don't feel for something else, plus there's the Ironman League and IronEagle, and for those it's probably going to always be my go-to port.

As for which version, well I'm always staying up to date with the most recent changes, so 2.5.1.7, it's essentially mainline PrBoom now anyway, and I have absolutely no good reason to stick to old, outdated versions. They're dead, and I've moved on since. PrBoom is dead, long live PrBoom.

Pretty much same here for me.

Back when I got into PrBoom+ for the first time, I tried 2.5.1.4 for a brief time but I found the mouse handling terrible in that version and I was more than happy to switch to 2.5.1.5. Now since Entryway has stopped working on PrBoom+, I consider the umapinfo branch to be essentially the mainline PrBoom+ development, so I have switched to that version. I am right now using the latest build of 2.5.1.7um that was posted by Seed.

I also encourage others (especially those who are already adjusted to the SDL2 mouse handling of 2.5.1.5, as the transition should be smooth enough) to try 2.5.1.7um. If there are any bugs/issues, please report them either here or on github.

7 hours ago, Grazza said:

I have no interest in the fork, as I am certain it will break stuff soon, if it hasn't already. Compatibility is only maintained with extreme effort and if it is a development priority.

Well I recommend you should try it and report any issues so that they get fixed quickly. There were some issues in the fork before, but those got addressed when they were reported.

I use It for playing and testing limit-removing and boom compatible maps, as well for recording demos pretty rarely

i still use 2514 because in addition to the terrible mouse-input lag on .5 and above, the display also has a weird judder to it so that gameplay looks and feels laggy and unresponsive. not good! i havent bothered to get to the bottom of it. in addition i really like the 2-key SR50 so i keep using it :)

13 hours ago, guitardz said:

2517 is the Graf updated version.  I lovingly call it GZBoom+ lmao

I prefer to call it ZahlonBoom or, in literal phrasing: Salon Boom. :P