Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MLGari

Island Peril could be an illegal IWAD

It seems the game is stored in RESOURCE.IPW which could mean Island Peril WAD. I also tried changing the first four bytes from DT1. to IWAD and tried running it in GZDoom and it detected lumps in it meaning it could be hacked up illegal IWAD. 

Totally different file format and content.

Be careful with such accusations if you haven't done a thorough analysis. Accusing others of wrongdoing without any substantial proof isn't taken lightly.

Even if it is using the wad format; how would that make it illegal?

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

Even if it is using the wad format; how would that make it illegal?

Are we talking about this?
Well in the wiki there is an knowledge about some repaletted Doom assets.
But the game is from 1996... Id do nothing about, so i don't know if it is a case of copyright infringement or not.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

But the game is from 1996... Id do nothing about, so i don't know if it is a case of copyright infringement or not.

That game does indeed "borrow" more than a few Doom assets...
My guess is since the game is so obscure and such a failure, Id either didn't know, or did and didn't bother suing, it probably wasn't worth the legal trouble in this case.

3 hours ago, MLGari said:

It seems the game is stored in RESOURCE.IPW which could mean Island Peril WAD. I also tried changing the first four bytes from DT1. to IWAD and tried running it in GZDoom and it detected lumps in it meaning it could be hacked up illegal IWAD. 

Even if it did use WAD format, that's not inherently illegal, and the WAD format is just a way of packaging data in a generic way, it's not intrinsically glued to Doom. In fact, the WAD format itself is relatively simple, so it's very possible to make another data format that resembles WAD, unintentionally or intentionally. As a fun note related to this, Amulets & Armor is a game that uses the WAD format for its maps, but otherwise has no relation to Doom in any way.

4 hours ago, 3saster said:

That game does indeed "borrow" more than a few Doom assets...
My guess is since the game is so obscure and such a failure, Id either didn't know, or did and didn't bother suing, it probably wasn't worth the legal trouble in this case.

Yes, but we also know that a significant part of Doom's assets were from commercial image collections. id couldn't claim copyright to those under any circumstances. If someone used the same source material there is a certain likelihood of having similar looking textures.

6 hours ago, P41R47 said:

That's a different issue entirely.

Reusing assets is not at all the same thing as reusing a relatively simple container format that was well-documented and for which several third party utilities existed.

4 hours ago, 3saster said:

As a fun note related to this, Amulets & Armor is a game that uses the WAD format for its maps, but otherwise has no relation to Doom in any way.

See also Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance.