Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Are there Duke Nukem 3D wads?

Duke Nukem 3D modding is very different from Doom, it being a completely different engine and all. Instead of containers like wads, it's separated into 3 main catalogue; maps, GRPs and art edits, with a mix of any/all 3 depending on the intent. 

There doesn't seem to be a resource of them like Doom has with /idgames (it used to have Steam Workshop with Megaton Edition, but Gearbox killed that off), so your best bet is Google searching and just looking around. 

18 minutes ago, seed said:

If by "wads" you mean DN3D mods in general, yes, plenty, but of very debatable quality in my opinion.

Mods such as NightFright's compilation pack aim to collect the best of them, whether it succeeds is up to you to decide. My personal favorite DN3D mods are DNF2013 and Alien Armageddon.

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/7640-release-eduke32-addon-compilation/

With what they work? Megaton Edition?

Just now, Can't play on Nightmare said:

With what they work? Megaton Edition?

Raze, EDuke32, Rednukem (not the more advanced stuff in the case of Rednukem), WT and Megaton maybe?

I don't know and don't care for Megaton, that remaster has been dead for years, and WT is all-around trash, no reason to use either of them.

If someone want to play Episode 5 from the shitty WT port, use latest EDuke32 and the WT Compatibility stopgap addon. Now it supports new weapon and enemies.(I don't think Raze supported that yet, not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong. Graf said Raze supports, but you need stopgap too.)

Unless you don't own WT and do not want to support Gearbox Shovelware for their sloppy port and other reasons. :P

Edited by Player Lin

16 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

If someone want to play Episode 5 from the shitty WT port, use latest EDuke32 and the WT Compatibility stopgap addon. Now it supports new weapon and enemies.(I don't think Raze supported that yet, not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Raze does support it, I already played through the new episode with it.

Yeah, support for Episode 5 of WT was backported from EDuke32 once it became available, but for now the stopgap is still required to properly play it.

Still, the goal is to remove the dependency on the stopgap completely in the future, so that it becomes unnecessary.

Edited by seed

One thing that I found most exciting about Duke3D back when I was a kid were the urban environments that seemed so realistic. If you ever played LameDuke you know that there were even more ambitious concepts of cityscape levels, which likely had to be scaled down due to performance optimisation.

However, for a very long time I paid little attention to user maps, and only recently discovered the classic Roch maps that give you sprawling urban environments which I can gladly recommend too try out at least once.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:02 AM, Player Lin said:

If someone want to play Episode 5 from the shitty WT port

why do you say it was shitty? I thought it was pretty fun (just the price was stupid)

8 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

why do you say it was shitty? I thought it was pretty fun (just the price was stupid)

Shitty as in that episode was exclusive to World Tour, similar to how the True3D rendering mode was for a long time exclusive to it.

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Shitty as in that episode was exclusive to World Tour, similar to how the True3D rendering mode was for a long time exclusive to it.

I didnt like Duke's 5th episode either.

New Duke Talk also sucks.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:35 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

While Redneckerz and Can't play on Nightmare already said their reasons, I still say what I think.

Also I actually meant the port itself, not the new levels.

Well, the EP5 levels just OK, but you have to see them separately, since they're just random locations without continuity like original all 4 episodes.

If you see them as whole episode, that will looks like Duke just randomly going(or teleport) somewhere of Earth which is weird to me.

But, I still enjoy most of levels, but silly new enemies(Firefly not so special, new mini-bosses were already exist on usermaps, and they tend suicide due to level geography) and new weapons can't help......and the worse thing is the ****ing final boss of EP5...what a joke.

The new renderer is fine to me but nothing special too...and most importantly, the port only received one official update and then nothing happened at all. They still leave a lot of bugs never fixed at all(sound problems, engine glitches etc.)...and Gearbox Shovelware never cares.

As a hardcore Duke3D fan(or Duke fan but I only play few Duke games), I'm seriously considering about I won't or never give them any of my money, even they finally do something about Duke for real, which nobody know when or even give any shit about that at all.

:(

Edited by Player Lin : Everytime I talk about WT port, I almost pissed off and make mistakes...:(

3 hours ago, Player Lin said:

The new renderer is fine to me but nothing special too...and most importantly, the port only received one official update and then nothing happened at all. They still leave a lot of bugs never fixed at all(sound problems, engine glitches etc.)...and Gearbox Shovelware never cares.

As a hardcore Duke3D fan(or Duke fan but I only play few Duke games), I'm seriously considering about I won't or never give them any of my money, even they finally do something about Duke for real, which nobody know when or even give any shit about that at all.

The "new" renderer is essentially Polymer or a variation of it, nothing more nothing less.

And GBX didn't just release a single patch that fixed some stuff then dropped it completely, the said patch only arrived on PC, the consoles never got the update, which is absolutely disgraceful. The new enemies and their sprites, plus the Incinerator, are also lame, the Incinerator even more so since it's just a variation of the Freezer, its sprite is literally just that gun but recolored and with some minor changes to reflect its nature.

Don't worry, they likely won't be doing anything with the IP anytime soon, they had a change and fucked it up, and have showed they have zero interest in correcting these mistakes since. Duke is essentially the new Blood, another IP doomed to rot for eternity...

So many complaints about WT but no one mentions how controls have a noticeable delay? Other than that, the new episode is made by the original team 20 years later. Am I supposed to have huge expectations?

@markanini I think that's a problem with Windows and by using specific resolutions. I sometimes play DN3D WT on my laptop at a lower resolution and the controls are very responsive.

17 hours ago, seed said:

The "new" renderer is essentially Polymer or a variation of it, nothing more nothing less.

And GBX didn't just release a single patch that fixed some stuff then dropped it completely, the said patch only arrived on PC, the consoles never got the update, which is absolutely disgraceful. The new enemies and their sprites, plus the Incinerator, are also lame, the Incinerator even more so since it's just a variation of the Freezer, its sprite is literally just that gun but recolored and with some minor changes to reflect its nature.

Don't worry, they likely won't be doing anything with the IP anytime soon, they had a change and fucked it up, and have showed they have zero interest in correcting these mistakes since. Duke is essentially the new Blood, another IP doomed to rot for eternity...

I already get used to Classic and Polymost so just don't have too much interest on that polymer-like renderer...

Yeah, no patches for console version, really nice job for treat your customers, Shovelware.

The whole WT port just so lazy...new maps from original authors won't saved this poor shit...

Well, DN3D was not going to like this but the new 3DR just f***ed it up so now Duke just stuck at hell forever. :(

14 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

@markanini I think that's a problem with Windows and by using specific resolutions. I sometimes play DN3D WT on my laptop at a lower resolution and the controls are very responsive.

I were playing WT port at 800x600 and have no any input lag problem, I haven't try higher resolutions so I don't know...

Edited by Player Lin

21 hours ago, Player Lin said:

Well, the EP5 levels just OK, but you have to see them separately, since they're just random locations without continuity like original all 4 episodes.

If you see them as whole episode, that will looks like Duke just randomly going(or teleport) somewhere of Earth which is weird to me.

But, I still enjoy most of levels, but silly new enemies(Firefly not so special, new mini-bosses were already exist on usermaps, and they tend suicide due to level geography) and new weapons can't help......and the worse thing is the ****ing final boss of EP5...what a joke.

I see Ep 5 more like "Duke travels around the world to clean out some remaining alien nests." And for that it's not too shabby, the levels themselves are fine.

The new enemies and the new weapon - not so much. They feel like what they essentially are: Quickly slapped-on additions with poor coding the manage to highlight the overall problems with Duke's code.

As for the engine, well, it shares many of the problems I already had with Polymer - most importantly that the lighting even makes stone surfaces look a bit like metal, because it is obvious that shiny == good.

17 hours ago, seed said:

And with the Bobby Prince lawsuit still pending it is currently even unclear whether Gearbox owns all the rights to the game - because 3D Realms obviously cheated with the music rights - who knows what else they withheld. So, yeah, nothing that might happen here in the near future.

1 hour ago, Player Lin said:

I were playing WT port at 800x600 and have no any input lag problem, I haven't try higher resolutions so I don't know...

I play on a laptop at 640x480 and there's no issues with the controls like some have said they experienced. I think it's related to using the new visual mode.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/434050/discussions/0/1729827777342758003/

I have fps limiter(MSI Afterburner, always limit on 60fps) not sure if it helps but I don't care that as I almost never using that port...

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

And with the Bobby Prince lawsuit still pending it is currently even unclear whether Gearbox owns all the rights to the game - because 3D Realms obviously cheated with the music rights - who knows what else they withheld. So, yeah, nothing that might happen here in the near future.

Already years past before Bobby's lawsuit happens and still no big deal happens, just some crossover things that I don't care much, so I do not see anything would change even Gearbox have all the Duke rights for real. (With Scott Miller, it's hard to say anything...but we'll see...)

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The irony here is, that 3DR really aren't as innocent as some think, they've done shady stuff before in various forms and to varying degrees. I've also read in some places that Bobby initially contacted 3DR for this but they said no, and directed him to GBX, who, as we all know, are in bed with lawsuits.

Pitchford has done lots of crappy things, but 3DR really aren't that whole lot better, the main difference between the two is that they're less full of shit and more community friendly by giving something back, whereas Randy wants to control everything that happens with the IP.

19 hours ago, markanini said:

Am I supposed to have huge expectations?

Well, to be fair, no, not really, particularly since I don't think they've been in touch with the industry too much since, so obviously it's not fair to hold them to astronomic standards, in fact, they might have even had to re-learn using the tools. It's the same as those people dreaming that if old id Software re-united, they could still make something stellar. No, they can't, the old gang has broken up decades ago, and many of them haven't worked on games in a long time, hell Carmack has even moved on and now focuses on VR instead. It's literally the same thing as expecting a band that split-up decades ago after a few legendary albums to come back one day and expect them to still blow you away with their new output. It's a once-in-a-lifetime deal, the magic and chemistry that was there once will never be there again, it's an illusion and purposefully lying to yourself if you try to convince yourself that it will happen.

What rubs people the wrong way here is the GBX side of things, listen to Randy in that video chat with the community and his main excuse for why the game wasn't better is "it's expensive". They decided to go cheap because they couldn't be arsed to take their time with it, and instead of a quality product, we got a cash grab, and an experience considerably inferior to what you get with fan ports. And they also cared very little about it, as I said, it only ever received one patch, and left it to die with all its issues, had they patched it up and reworked some things such as the new additions, I'm sure the reception would have been much warmer. And lastly, Randy also put more fuel to the fire by literally blaming the community for "not being supportive of WT enough", which is a completely delusional thing to say.

Assuming anyone made substantial money on WT. Assuming a clumsy guy like Randy calls the shots. Assuming a 2015 reboot of a classic IP is gonna be amazingly great. I wouldn't set myself up for that level of disappointment. If you feel differently that's okay, I just don't see why I have to view it through your lens.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, markanini said:

<eviction>

Tried to get this running to no avail. Blood errors out with missing environmental sounds; Blood-OUWB runs for a short while but will inevitably crash with an error in actor.cpp after down the first corridor near the 2nd window. Running in dosbox, using the ini-file. What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, Mordeth said:

Tried to get this running to no avail. Blood errors out with missing environmental sounds; Blood-OUWB runs for a short while but will inevitably crash with an error in actor.cpp after down the first corridor near the 2nd window. Running in dosbox, using the ini-file. What am I missing here?

I don't know much about Dosbox but it might require a source port like BuildGDX to run without crashing.