Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtomicFrog

DOOM 64 EX ABSOLUTION RELOADED

Im working my way through Doom 64 revamping the levels with better lighting, texture and structure. And minor gameplay tweaks where I feel necessary. 

Ive revamped a few so far including the final level. Which can be seen here.

If anyone fancy's a challenge them complete this level on 'Watch Me Die' difficulty.
And if thats too easy for you then do so without using the Artefacts and UnMaker. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q4gun8t3dlswfbm/ABSOLUTION_RELOADED.wad/file

4 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Nice! I like the added detail in the geometry, really looks like a hell pit now! :)

Maybe you will be the chosen one to beat this level on 'Watch Me Die'? ;)
Make sure u have the latest wad update ;o)

Haha, I am not particularly skilled but I will give it a try! If I fail, though, I know someone on discord who may be up for that challenge.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in revamping any of these maps?
Doesnt have to be a major remake of a level. The final level was an exception... because it was so awful.

Simple re-texturing and lighting like Ive done here are all most levels need.

Been having a think about how I want to proceed with this version of DOOM 64.
Heres my basic concept.
Include the four extra level from the TC version.
Relocate the demon keys. Solving the puzzles to obtain them will instead teleport the player to a challenge map 'Playground... Hardcore' for example. Completing the map awards you the demon key.
Remove the UnMaker from all levels. So only obtainable at the final level. It's too OP to the point where even going up against two CyberDemons is a joke.
Final level played on hard will require a fully powered Unmaker to completing it and doing so gives the player the 'proper' ending. Ive play tested this a bit and as far as I can tell its almost impossible to defeat the final level on hard without it. 'Prove me wrong '

Edited by AtomicFrog

That sounds interesting, where the fun maps allow you to access the unmaker keys. Will you be able to keep the weapons from previous maps when playing the "fun" maps? It may change the dynamic of the fun maps perhaps in a fun way! 

It's also cool idea that the unmaker itself is used as a weapon to defeat the final horde and boss. Gives it a purpose that isn't to cheat some battles. I know perhaps some players would miss using the unmaker in the main game, but perhaps after the ending text, it will warp players back to level 1 (or a bonus map that loops onto level 1) so they can replay the game with upgraded weaponry as a reward.

7 hours ago, Immorpher said:

That sounds interesting, where the fun maps allow you to access the unmaker keys. Will you be able to keep the weapons from previous maps when playing the "fun" maps? It may change the dynamic of the fun maps perhaps in a fun way! 

It's also cool idea that the unmaker itself is used as a weapon to defeat the final horde and boss. Gives it a purpose that isn't to cheat some battles. I know perhaps some players would miss using the unmaker in the main game, but perhaps after the ending text, it will warp players back to level 1 (or a bonus map that loops onto level 1) so they can replay the game with upgraded weaponry as a reward.

Yeah the fun maps would certainly be easier when starting them with 200 health/armour and a bfg lol.  Might have to give that some more thought.
Completing the game on Watch Me Die could reward the player with a cheat menu so they can play through the game again with the Unmaker amongst other things. 

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

I don't know. Changing all that would be destroying the original progression and balance.

This is certainly true. There are certain places on certain maps where the UnMaker is OP but required. Theres a few pit/ledge areas and swarm areas which are frustrating without it. However on the whole it actually degrades the gameplay. Once the player has obtained two demon-keys the UnMaker makes all encounters a joke.

If I was clever and able to give it it's own type of ammo that was rare and limit its ammo to 100 I would. But Im not that clever lol.

The game basically hands the player an UnMaker and a DemonKey right at the start of the game 'OutPost Omega' giving them a weapon thats more effective than the Plasma Rifle. By mid way through the game the second Demonkey is obtained making all encounters a breeze to get through.  At this point skillfull use of the BFG is not required as the UnMaker is more effective. And Plasma Rifle is redundant. 

Make a new Doom 64 mini-episode if you're feeling creative.

3 hours ago, VGA said:

Make a new Doom 64 mini-episode if you're feeling creative.

Bit beyond by skills Im afraid. Only decent playable level Ive ever made is Sentinels. And thats fair from perfect.  Looks nice though. Which is where my meagre talents lay... architecture and lighting. 

Ive already hit a snag on this project because the 2nd level Terrorfomer doesnt play nice. For some reason even the simplest edit to anything messes with the first macro 'the one that changes the lighting in the pitch black room. And I have no idea why. Makes no sense to me.
Kaiser made a really nice mini episode... think it had seven levels but most of them were equivalent to two or three due to their size and complexity.  

My only completely playable level...
It looks nice and shows off pretty much all the cool things the engine can do.  However gameplay wise... its a bit long winded.
Thats mainly due to my terrible skills... and also the waves of demons are purposely supposed to exhaust the player of all their Cell and Rocket ammo. Making the final battle really tense. Where this level does succeed is making the MotherDemon seem to have some stalking intelligence. 
Skip to 10.20 to watch the final showdown.

Edited by AtomicFrog