Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mancubus88

Custom monster zscript issue

Hey guys, I'm adding custom monsters to a few of my levels in my megawad I'm making but I'm struggling a bit. 

So here's the issue, when I'm adding monsters to slade that have a DECORATE file there's no problem. But when I'm adding monsters that don't have a DECORATIVE file and have a zscript file instead they don't show up in the things mode. Could someone explain what I'm meant to do to get them to work? 

Thank you in advance! :) 

It might not be the zscript but maybe that they don’t have editor numbers, some things off realm667 (which is where I assume you got these monsters from) don’t have editor numbers when you get them, while some do. If this isn’t helpful then you might want to ask on zdoom forums, since this is a more doom general forum, where zdoom is specifically for zdoom stuff, which includes zscript.

For actors designed with ZCRIPT you can specify a unique DoomED number in MAPINFO

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Editor_number_definition

Plus check out the respective DECORATE actor if it was given a unique DoomED number already.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE_format_specifications

To know which DoomED number is free, check out

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers

for standard actors.

I've done most of the Slade pk3 file editing. Just one more issue remains. 

When I load up UDB it tells me it fails to find the corresponding actor class with he monster I'm trying to add. Does anyone have any doom wisdom they can share? 

For ZScript you need to load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource (but exclude it from testing).

2 hours ago, boris said:

For ZScript you need to load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource (but exclude it from testing).

I'm doing that but the monsters are still showing as exclamation marks in game. Inside the builder and in 3d mode they are fine 

You can actually take screenshot from your computer, with the PrintScreen key and then open Paint or some other graphic program and hit Ctrl-V.

As for your issue, have you checked that you are actually loading your resource file in GZDoom?

This works for me:

I opened UDB 

RaLnn6a.png

make sure that you tick this box when you select gzdoom.pk3

cDJt35Z.png

and made a simple test map with a player and a supershotgun and saved as test.wad

Then I opened test.wad in Slade3 and made 3 new entries below the map namespace (highlighted in blue):

Note:

Never add anything else into the map namespace.

a separation marker

a MAPINFO entry

and another separation marker

Then I copy/pasted all lumps of the Afrit from REALM667 into test.wad below all other lumps.

g3zGHhR.png

In the MAPINFO lump add a DoomED number for the editor to be able to insert the afrit

Vq9hMVj.png

any number from 15000 to 30000 would be okay, and save.

After that, I opened test.wad again with UDB, selected Thing Mode and I placed an afrit.

9l1AnKw.png

and saved.

Playing test.wad with GZDoom

j4yqCXe.png

So far so good,

but you want the map to be in pk3 format. For that you have to invoke some folder voodoo.

This webpage tells you basically how to go about it.

Create a TEST folder in File Explorer and subfolders to separate out the various lumps:

text lumps into the general namespace

wads into maps subfolder

sounds into sounds  subfolder

sprites and brightmaps into sprites  subfolder

and zip up as TEST.pk3

like so

XFnVCBY.png

TEST.zip

Edited by Kappes Buur : included the example pk3 wad

First of all thank you for your help but unfortunately it's not working for me. I tried copying Afrit's data to my map.wad file under the map info and gave it a id number JUST like you showed but it's saying "Unknown top level keyword" for the DoomEdNums but mine are identical to yours so i'm really confused 

https://easyupload.io/mxv10i

This is a link to my pk3 file if you can tell me where I'm going wrong maybe then I will fully understand

Edited by Mancubus88

17 hours ago, Mancubus88 said:

This is a link to my pk3 file if you can tell me where I'm going wrong maybe then I will fully understand

To play a pwad in pk3 format you have to load the resources into their respective areas (main folder and subfolders) which means that there must be a maps subfolder to hold the wad file:

p4Jkobw.png

In your example there is no maps folder

YBcGmhi.png

The procedure is as outlined in my post above, I repeat it here:

Create a folder in File Explorer, perhaps name it what you want to call the pwad (in my case TEST),

and subfolders, according to the link given, to separate out the various lumps:

• text lumps into the general namespace (the main folder)
  • wads into maps subfolder
  • sounds into sounds  subfolder
  • sprites and brightmaps into sprites  subfolder
  • and zip up as TEST.pk3 or the name you elect to use

If you have other resources they go into various other subfolders, again, according to the link given.

For further information have a look at Enjay's Gene-Tech: Before the Storm where you can see how resources are placed into folders, subfolders and subsubfolders, everything into their respective paths. It is maybe a bit much at first, but that pk3 file is the best learning tool I can think of.

Edited by Kappes Buur

On 7/23/2020 at 7:32 PM, Kappes Buur said:

To play a pwad in pk3 format you have to load the resources into their respective areas (main folder and subfolders) which means that there must be a maps subfolder to hold the wad file:

p4Jkobw.png

In your example there is no maps folder

YBcGmhi.png

The procedure is as outlined in my post above, I repeat it here:

Create a folder in File Explorer, perhaps name it what you want to call the pwad (in my case TEST),

and subfolders, according to the link given, to separate out the various lumps:

• text lumps into the general namespace (the main folder)
  • wads into maps subfolder
  • sounds into sounds  subfolder
  • sprites and brightmaps into sprites  subfolder
  • and zip up as TEST.pk3 or the name you elect to use

If you have other resources they go into various other subfolders, again, according to the link given.

For further information have a look at Enjay's Gene-Tech: Before the Storm where you can see how resources are placed into folders, subfolders and subsubfolders, everything into their respective paths. It is maybe a bit much at first, but that pk3 file is the best learning tool I can think of.

I will definitely try this and see if it works when I next work on my megawad. Thanks, bud!