Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FabulousDoom

My first *finished* map

I never spent more than few hours in Doom Builder, this map took me around 7 hours.

Tested with: GZDoom

Freelook

Jumping and Crouching

Hardware Rendering

I don't know if it's going to work with older ports

IWAD: Doom2

It's only one map, MAP01

Secrets:

Spoiler

If you shoot the silver pentagram, you will be teleported to a small room with a few rewards.

screenshot1.PNG

Screenshot2.PNG

FabulousDoom's first map.rar

Please let me know what you think!

EDIT: Thank you all. I'm gonna fix some things and also try to make it more compatible. I'll release new maps soon for wad I'm working on.

EDIT2: Here is the updated version

sorry but I'm new here and I made a new thread instead of editing this one

Edited by FabulousDoom

Just had a quick play through.

For a first map there are lots of positives. Firstly, texturing is really neat and fits the theme, nothing looking out of place or ugly. You could go further and try cutting some of the right angle walls or put in more ceiling and wall lighting. The beginning is also engaging and attention grabbing, I'm in a cage, how do I get out!?

I like the use of midtextures to give the hitscanners chances to shoot whilst boxed in by the baron. I also liked how you show the secret mega armour through the bars but it seems redundant to show and give the player the ssg after they have cleared out the level. A first time player is not going to think of shooting the pentagram (unless they read this thread) until they see the hint! So you should hint the secret earlier and then provide the opportunity for the player to search for it.

For a map with shotgun and chaingun combat the choice of enemies was mostly appropriate, killing imps and shotgunners is something that never really gets old. However, you should be very careful with the use of barons. Players today are not threatened at all by a single baron, it is nothing more than a tedious 1000hp roadblock! Consider sticking to lighter enemies when the player has a lighter arsenal, the challenge can be increased by hiding hitscanners around walls etc, but the pace remains fast!

I think to take this to the next level you should see if you can surprise the player. A prime opportunity I thought was after collecting the blue key you could totally open a load of monster closets and have the player chaingun their way though a horde of zombies, or something like that...!

Oh and make sure you put a teleporter in the lava to let the player out. Unless you make it really clear that the level revolves around death pits, they rarely feel fair and are too punishing. (imo)

In terms of compatibility, I always think that the more compatible a wad is, the more people will play it. Maps that require freelook and jumping are not quite the classic doom gameplay I look for and I know others share the same opinion but that's your personal taste. I always think that mapping with restrictions such as in classic doom2 format with no jumping/freelook encourages creativity and is a better place to start for someone starting to map rather than the highly advanced sourceports with loads of overwhelming options! My opinion though, do whatever the hell you want!

Overall, I am looking forward to your next map. Take your time and I expect great things!

20 minutes ago, Cheesewheel said:

Just had a quick play through.

For a first map there are lots of positives. Firstly, texturing is really neat and fits the theme, nothing looking out of place or ugly. You could go further and try cutting some of the right angle walls or put in more ceiling and wall lighting. The beginning is also engaging and attention grabbing, I'm in a cage, how do I get out!?

I like the use of midtextures to give the hitscanners chances to shoot whilst boxed in by the baron. I also liked how you show the secret mega armour through the bars but it seems redundant to show and give the player the ssg after they have cleared out the level. A first time player is not going to think of shooting the pentagram (unless they read this thread) until they see the hint! So you should hint the secret earlier and then provide the opportunity for the player to search for it.

For a map with shotgun and chaingun combat the choice of enemies was mostly appropriate, killing imps and shotgunners is something that never really gets old. However, you should be very careful with the use of barons. Players today are not threatened at all by a single baron, it is nothing more than a tedious 1000hp roadblock! Consider sticking to lighter enemies when the player has a lighter arsenal, the challenge can be increased by hiding hitscanners around walls etc, but the pace remains fast!

I think to take this to the next level you should see if you can surprise the player. A prime opportunity I thought was after collecting the blue key you could totally open a load of monster closets and have the player chaingun their way though a horde of zombies, or something like that...!

Oh and make sure you put a teleporter in the lava to let the player out. Unless you make it really clear that the level revolves around death pits, they rarely feel fair and are too punishing. (imo)

In terms of compatibility, I always think that the more compatible a wad is, the more people will play it. Maps that require freelook and jumping are not quite the classic doom gameplay I look for and I know others share the same opinion but that's your personal taste. I always think that mapping with restrictions such as in classic doom2 format with no jumping/freelook encourages creativity and is a better place to start for someone starting to map rather than the highly advanced sourceports with loads of overwhelming options! My opinion though, do whatever the hell you want!

Overall, I am looking forward to your next map. Take your time and I expect great things!

Thank you for your tips and advice! I will definitely make more maps! :)

I like it. I would've made the shootable switch at the beggining like a switch texture or something instead of an arrow pointing where to shoot. I did shoot the pentagram to get to the secret. I thought "Hmm, that's weird. There's a pentagram on the wall, what if i shoot at it?". The arena with the baron was beaten nicely with the SSG, although not having it would've made it harder. The theme is good, nothing out of place except some misaligned brick textures. Also as the other guy said , you could put a way to get back up if you fall into the lava, dying and repeating isn't very fun.

Keep mapping man, i'm sure you're capable of great things!

Just finished playing it. Very neat map, but I would add things like custom music and a map name. It felt very nicely scaled and had neutral gameplay, so nothing too challenging for me on skill 4. Thumbs-up from me.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, FabulousDoom said:

Screenshot2.PNG

Your mapping is great! I like your style, but doesn't just seem like there should be a sky up here?

@FabulousDoom, just played your map (GZD + Brutal). Yeah I liked it too - short and to the point. Others have pretty much said it all above, but things that stood out for me:

- Interesting secret (yes, I read this thread first...)

- Didn't notice the textures/flats/layout - that's a good thing because the layout and texture usage just made sense

- Gameplay was balanced and fair, with a couple of nice surprises

One minor thing - the initial cage - the 'shoot here' arrow was probably a bit too much of a hint... Perhaps a recessed switch with a pulsing light instead?

Definitely agree with this:

8 hours ago, GoosebumpsFan said:

but doesn't just seem like there should be a sky up here?

A nice red/hellish sky would be cool.

** Update **

Just played again with just GZDoom, and got the secret I missed... I like this.

Edited by smeghammer

Just finished. Cool thing. I especially like a secret. Shotable pentagram on a wall that usually serve as a teleporter is nice way to play with Doomer's expectation. Second secret is broken. Sector with the bars is tag as a secret and you can't reach it. It's canide weard becouse borders of the Baron room are perfect to tag as a secret. I was thinking it is a second secret but when I go through whole of the border and nothing was tag, i use noclip to find real, broken one.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:19 PM, FabulousDoom said:

There is an updated version of this map here:

<Topic>

Why you created a new Topic for the Update? Just edit your Topic, Anyway... Nice Wad!