Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skronkidonk

Doom Builder - Windows

Question

Does anybody know how to do this? I don't know what they did to made it where the Shotgunner can't see you but I think you maybe put a wall without a texture in front of the window, I don't know. 60279960_Screenshot(3).png.eb0cd6583a5fd0949ba62e4decc1bd0f.png

8 answers to this question

That option would work well for higher ports, like ZDoom and up.

Otherwise, such as for vanillam you could use a self-referencing sector. That means that within the sector that defines that window, you create a smaller sector (it has to be completely confined within the window sector). For example, if the window is 128 units across and 16 units wide, make a sector inside it that is 124 or 126 units across and 12 units wide. Then define both sides of the linedefs of the subsector to reference the subsector (instead of one side referencing the subsector and the other side referencing the window sector). Then make the floor height of the subsector the same as the ceiling height. This way the engine will recognize the sector as being there to block sight, but it will not be rendered. Finally, make both lines of the window sound-blocking, so that the sergeants can't hear you through the small space on either side of the self-referencing sector.

Depending on the project type of the map, there is a linedef option called "block monster line of sight". If that's checked then monsters wont be able to see anything on the other side of the line

6 minutes ago, WoofDg79 said:

Depending on the project type of the map, there is a linedef option called "block monster line of sight". If that's checked then monsters wont be able to see anything on the other side of the line

Where would that be at? Sorry I'm very new to Doom map making. Is it In edit linedef?

16 minutes ago, Hachi-Roku said:

Where would that be at? Sorry I'm very new to Doom map making. Is it In edit linedef?

Yes it would be in Edit Linedef. If you're using Ultimate Doom Builder, when you right-click a line and the Edit Linedef window appears, the "Block monster line of sight" option will be in the top of the "Properties" tab. Feel free to let me know if I need to clarify further- we all start out new at some point!

@Pegleg I didn't know about that subsector trick. That's neat!

Wow! Thank you both for helping me! I never knew about the properties tab and about the Linedef window option, And also thanks for the Subsector trick! They both get the job done and will help out in future Doom levels. Thanks!

This specific instance, if this is indeed TNT, was realized by simply not texturing sides of the sector. Sector must not have zero height, however, to properly trick the renderer.

@Hachi-Roku

There's one other thing that occurred to me, too. If you're ever interested in how a particular effect was done, be sure to open up the map in an editor and see how the author did it. It could be very straightforward. It's also a generally useful way to learn how to do different things, by studying maps in an editor.