Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WoofDg79

My Doom Folder

Random post. I figured some of you might appreciate the contents of the "DooM" folder on my PC :P.  The folder titled "IDGAMES" is exactly what you might think. It's a local copy of the entire IDGAMES database lol.

DoomFolder.png

Well, i sure as heck do not have that many seperate engines installed.

Perhaps as many submaps, yes, but that's about it.

I do not know what else to add to this, really. You have a local idgames copy. Okay. That's great.

It's been a folder that's been slowly increasing over the years. I was doing something in it earlier and had a "man there's a lot of shit in this folder" moment, and felt like sharing I suppose haha. Not sure what discussion will come out of it. I considered removing the post but I actually don't even know how to- I haven't used this site in years

The real money is having a well organized PWADs folder imo. Having all your shit tagged / populated with metadata in Doom Launcher is good too.

I only recently started trying out DoomLauncher. It managed to slip under my radar for a while. Any pro-tips for it?

2 minutes ago, WoofDg79 said:

I only recently started trying out DoomLauncher. It managed to slip under my radar for a while. Any pro-tips for it?

Don't unzip the wads/readme - drag and drop the whole zip into Doom Launcher so it picks up the metadata. Launching wads and taking screenshots of the TITLEPIC will have them show in Doom Launcher which looks quite nice.

42 minutes ago, WoofDg79 said:

It's been a folder that's been slowly increasing over the years. I was doing something in it earlier and had a "man there's a lot of shit in this folder" moment, and felt like sharing I suppose haha.

I am sure someone will find this useful. I am afraid i am not one of those people however.

42 minutes ago, WoofDg79 said:

Not sure what discussion will come out of it. I considered removing the post but I actually don't even know how to- I haven't used this site in years

You can report your post by the report post button to the right of each post and state that you want to request a lock of the thread.

No PrBoom+ and LZDoom? Come on man!

Also, jesus christ I cant imagine having to search a wad in the entire Idgames database by hand. /Search and links are a god send.

But you know whats really cool ?

Excel and the power of order:

Spoiler

iuQO5uf.png

Clearly need to level up my game and snag those 2! Now that you point it out though, I am surprised I don't have them lol.

As for searching Idgames by hand, I kind of don't. I'll search for maps online, it'll give me the idgames download location, and that doubles as the local file location. So I just navigate directly to that file since I already know where it is.

Also that's a pretty awesome spreadsheet! And I dig the rating system. There's so many user-made maps I need to play. How do you go about finding new maps to play? I'll just kinda try to find stuff people say is popular, personally. I don't know of any categorized level browser but it'd be sweet if there is one.

Just now, WoofDg79 said:

Clearly need to level up my game and snag those 2! Now that you point it out though, I am surprised I don't have them lol.

As for searching Idgames by hand, I kind of don't. I'll search for maps online, it'll give me the idgames download location, and that doubles as the local file location. So I just navigate directly to that file since I already know where it is.

Also that's a pretty awesome spreadsheet! And I dig the rating system. There's so many user-made maps I need to play. How do you go about finding new maps to play? I'll just kinda try to find stuff people say is popular, personally. I don't know of any categorized level browser but it'd be sweet if there is one.

You can pretty much find a ton of extra cool WADs in the Doomworld. Just go to the Cacowards, the 25 years of Doom and the 10 years of Doom pages.

After that, I navigate the wiki a lot. You cand find even more there, just in a more ''technical'' sense/style.

And of course, the WADs & Mods section in the forums. It kinda works like a more modern ''Idgames archive'', but more amateur-ish.

I've been meaning to organize my folder... But I can't bother to do it. So I have this:

image.png.b9ab863237a35c4bf3c7b9c354dda382.png

Hahaha I know how that can go. Taking the time to organize sometimes is just a lot. What's GunCaster btw?

I think I might do my Doom folders a little bit differently than most.

image.png

This is my main E:/Doom/ folder. it contains IWADs (which is where all of my source ports look in to find my IWADS), the mods I'm working on, and Custom Resources that are immediately free to use as long as credit is given. And I put mods I've downloaded in the corresponding source ports I want to run mods with. So a vanilla/limit-removing mod would go straight into E:/Program Files (x86)/Crispy Doom/ for me as just one example.

2 hours ago, WoofDg79 said:

What's GunCaster btw?

Guncaster's a neat little an extensive gun mod that's kinda similar to Russian Overkill. Get neat guns, shoot things. It's mainly developed by PillowBlaster who has also made other notable mods before as well. Here's its ZDoom thread.

Edited by UndeadRyker : "little" mod is an understatement :p

Cool thread. This is my storage, where I keep stuff I really like. I just note it in the text file so it's easy to find what I want later. Might post a screen of my install folder when I get it reloaded.

doom folder.png

I like to neatly organize my Doom files.

18 hours ago, kalaeth said:

I've been meaning to organize my folder... But I can't bother to do it. So I have this:

image.png.b9ab863237a35c4bf3c7b9c354dda382.png

LOL what a mess.

I have such folders:

NEW, PROGRAMS, ADDONS, MEGAWADS, MINIWADS

PROGRAMS:

ZDL.EXE, CHOCOLATE DOOM, GZDOOM, SLADE, TOTAL CONVERSIONS, IWADS

No matter on which system, I copy this stuff into an folder labelled /doomdata. I am using this folder name for sentimental reasons.
A folder with this name was created when running doom directly off CD-ROM to save HDD space,
because your whole drive only had 40MB in those days...:-)

image.png.4b5fa048c4c5538578a07859575c88fe.png

EDIT: Due to the coloring scheme above you can tell, that I copied most of the wads from an USB-stick and was too
lazy to chmod them correctly :-)))

/doomdata contains IWADS, PWADS and some simple scripts, which make up a simple "DoomMenu".
So when I enter 'domenu' I get a selection of doomgames to play:

image.png.1af685400ca301d938a8d4b4d700f4a7.png

Edited by DoomGater : inserted "chmod" info

Gater, I did something similar with a portable Doom CD i had made a few years ago. It had batch files and was all set up to go with my settings, and a selection of my favorite megawads. Sometimes I think half the fun of Doom is in the launching and organizing...

Imagine having more than 20 folders for different Souceports from which you will at least just use five.

This post was made with the "I just use one Sourceport for SinglePlayer and one for Multiplayer" gang.

Yeah I used to have like 40 Folders, for WADs Mods, some older GZDoom Versions that were there for some mods, etc., that was until my PC was formatted thrice on December of 2019, then I diminished that by a lot.