Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MLGari

Anyone here used MAME

I've used MAME and I very was happy with it 

Hell I even put my roms on a USB drive

MAME is great. Blew my mind once it began actually being able to do stuff from the mid-late 90s.

Emulating a Voodoo 1 entirely in software... madness.

jesus, like 20 years ago.  it was pretty lit, being able to play Samurai Showdown without forking over every quarter in my possession.

49 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

MAME is great. Blew my mind once it began actually being able to do stuff from the mid-late 90s.

Jesus Christ 

A VOODOO 1 IN SOFTWARE!?

eh not that impossible knowing modern pcs

Edited by MLGari

20 minutes ago, MLGari said:

Jesus Christ 

A VOODOO 1 IN SOFTWARE!?

MAME can emulate various Namco arcade systems with custom 3D chips that are a lot more performant than a Voodoo. :)

Everything VS Everything fighting game home brew is a multiplex copyright infringing trip and a half. 

25 minutes ago, MLGari said:

Jesus Christ 

A VOODOO 1 IN SOFTWARE!?

eh not that impossible knowing modern pcs

Doing that with a PC like 15 years ago, on the other hand... bit more taxing!

I remember my Core 2 Duo E6750 being only able to run that game a little faster than normal. Think with the turbo key it was about 120% of normal framerate.

Oh man... I’d completely forgotten MAME was a thing :-P

Used to love it along with Project 64 (a N64 emulator) and another SNES one that I can’t remember the name of :-P

Thanks for the nostalgia flashbacks and might go install myself some emulators now :-D

Haven't used it for a long time, but oh yeah. I'm a big fan of the concept of playing arcade games on home/portable devices. Always have been, always will be.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'm hoping the same kind of tech advancement for 3dfx.

34 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Used to love it along with Project 64 (a N64 emulator) and another SNES one that I can’t remember the name of :-P

ZSNES or SNES9X, most likely.

If you're talking more recent emulators, possibly BSNES or Higan.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

ZSNES or SNES9X, most likely.

If you're talking more recent emulators, possibly BSNES or Higan.

My man! Was indeed SNES9X :-D

Man this thread bring back some memories :’-D

I love MAME, but I could only ever get the more simple games to work. Stuff like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were fine, as well as the old batch like Donkey Kong and Galaga, but 3D stuff like San Fransisco Rush would always give me errors and fail to boot. Same with Area51 and a few other 90's classics. The games the don't work usually have a console alternative that's only slightly inferior, so I never bothered learning how to get it to run those more advanced games.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I love MAME, but I could only ever get the more simple games to work. Stuff like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were fine, as well as the old batch like Donkey Kong and Galaga, but 3D stuff like San Fransisco Rush would always give me errors and fail to boot. Same with Area51 and a few other 90's classics. The games the don't work usually have a console alternative that's only slightly inferior, so I never bothered learning how to get it to run those more advanced games.

You're missing the CHDs.

Those games also ran off of hard disks. CHDs are basically any sort of non-ROM media - MAME uses them for both hard disks and laserdiscs, for example.

For games that need those, no CHD = game won't boot.

So basically for those games you need both the CHD and the ROM set, and then the game will load just fine.

(CarnEvil is another game that needs a CHD, for what it's worth.)

Thanks for the info, Dark Pulse. I had no idea what was wrong the first time around and didn’t bother trying further, later on I’ll go ahead and see if I can’t find the CHDs for those games.

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks for the info, Dark Pulse. I had no idea what was wrong the first time around and didn’t bother trying further, later on I’ll go ahead and see if I can’t find the CHDs for those games.

Key caveat: MAME ROM sets do update over time, and occasionally, CHDs update as well (though much less commonly). So if you got an older ROM zip or CHD for a newer version of MAME, sometimes it won't work and you'll have to find an updated ROM (or downgrade back to an older version of MAME).

But I'd be happy to help you out, shoot me a DM or something if you'd like.

As of about a year ago, these are all the games that need a CHD of some sort. Anything outside of this should be as simple as getting the game ROM zip (and in some cases, accessory zips/BIOS zips/etc.)

TVhPIu3.png