Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

Anyone else play games at certain times of year?

So like for example:

Winter- Shadow Warrior, Postal 2, Doom.

Spring- I honestly don't think spring exists.

Summer- Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Fallout games, Counter Strike.

Fall- Blood, Half Life, Team Fortress 2, just any other games really.

I'm really not sure what it is about it. For some reason I cant break this cycle of playing certain games at certain times. Also I know I put Doom in winter but its mainly when I make more wads and stuff. And no, its not like I exclusively play these games at these times of year, just more often.

Edit: Nobody has questioned the spring thing yet.

Edited by N1ck

I usually play whatever comes at hand, but for the sole reason of having class vacations during summer, i use all that spare time to play some JRPGs and study their char development and storytelling mechanics.

Its like summer is the time for adventures for me :D

I don't think I ever did. I've played DOOM at least once a month for the last year, but no. maybe I once played a lego star wars game on may 4th when I was a young lad (well, younger lad). I don't remember, though

I kinda have that habit but for watching longplays. Like for summer, I watch Powerslave/Exhumed PC, Duke Caribbean, and Alone in the Dark 1 and 3 because they're set in hot climates.

Games-wise, I play Ultimate Doom on December 10th (not sure for Doom 2 if it's September 30th or October 10th). Spooky games in October. For some reason, Bioshock 1 during February.

Winter - Terraria since I can sink hours on that game (Have all but 3 of the fishing achievements)

Spring - Half-Life games since they're amazing 

Summer - Older Treyarch games (only for zombies) as well as Fallout NV (one playthrough a year)

Fall - BioShock, and other immersive sims I like.

Winter

Most of the DOS 2D platformers, particularly the older Apogee titles give me that icy feel with the PC Speaker sound and the occasional light cyan color scheme. Playing the first two Commander Keens have this comfy atmosphere reminiscent of looking outside from window at 7 a.m. when it's still dark and snow slowly falling in the street.

Although I first started playing Blood in spring, the game becomes atmospheric in winter and autumn. The most memorable moment was playing through episode 2 for the first time during a winter evening while being sick. Duke3D with the expansions also plays well in both winter and spring.

Spring

Sonic 1. GHZ looks like it takes place in spring. Some of the earliest memories of me watching my siblings play Sonic took place in spring back in 1994 or 95.

Also, Space Harrier II in winter/early spring.

Summer

Sonic 2 and most other Sega Mega Drive games.

DOS games: Duke Nukem II, Heretic, Wolf3d, God of Thunder and Warcraft II

Autumn

Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal -expansion, Worms series, Plutonia and any old game with a brown- and dark green color scheme.

Winter- Doom

Spring- Doom

Summer- Doom

Fall- Doom

I don't really associate games with the seasons.

Hmm, I can't think of any real difference.

I do tend to learn more towards strategy and story based games in the winter though. Anything that requires more thought, turn based games etc. I'm not entirely sure why, never really considered it. Other than that I generally play whatever I feel like at the time.

Doom is always on the list though. I always come back to it and rarely leave it for more than a couple of weeks before I return. Doom is distilled nostalgia to me and I'll play it until I shuffle off this mortal coil, or rheumatoid arthritis warps my finger bones. Even then, I'm willing to tolerate it.

20 hours ago, unerxai said:

Duke Nukem 3D Nuclear Winter on Christmas

It's ritual for me at this point.

Well, not on Christmas day but during the holiday.

I don't tend to associate games with certain times of the year or anything like that but usually at Christmas I feel an urge to play Super Mario World but I don't know why as I had a Mega Drive back then.

I play Doom throughout the year, but I've developed a tradition of playing the original three episodes of classic Doom in the wee hours of New Year's Day, keeping myself occupied as I wait for the new year to arrive in the US so that I can wish some good friends a happy new year in their own timezone.

Not really, but when Fall comes and the leaves are dropping from the trees I do feel like playing Blood. Mostly it's just playing whatever I've bought recently, or whatever I have a hankering for playing again. Doom is a game for all seasons.

But dammit, every year when Halloween rolls around I have to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas. And then at Christmas time I have to watch Die Hard.

When I was still in kid prison school, I used to have a ritual of playing and beating Super Mario RPG during the last month of summer holidays, before the next year of school began. That’s probably the closest I’ve ever had to a seasonal game (and it’s been a long time since I last played that incredible game.. maybe I’ll need to give it another spin, that game was like crack to me as a youngn).

It’s not a seasonal thing, but sometimes when I wake up early on a brisk, refreshing morning, it takes me back to doing early morning mapping at about 6 AM before heading into school, back in about 2005. I guess since you don’t get many mornings like that in mid summer, it has to be an old fall or winter memory.

Oh and yeah, Spring is a hoax. Mass global conspiracy!!

Nope. I just play whatever whenever the mood for said whatever strikes.

Not really, I play whatever I feel I'm in the mood for, but that being said, I did consider this idea many times, but never managed to bring myself to do it. "The atmosphere and mood is so different in these seasons that they impact your activities" is not exactly something that works for me.

Every once in a while I get recommendations of some video game osts I used to play like CV LOI ost and it makes me want to go back and play it some more, It's like a weird habit now (please send help) beyond that I don't associate games with seasons or events so it just depends on whatever I feel like playing at the moment.

When I want something RPG-ish to sink my teeth into I play some immersive sim, open-world or MMO game, when I want something more quick and straightforward I play some story-driven game or a bit of cs or d2 crucible.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:34 PM, Chow Yun Thin said:

... Spooky games in October...

9 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

October is BLOOD month. 

6 hours ago, Jello said:

... when Fall comes and the leaves are dropping from the trees I do feel like playing Blood. ...

Same for me! I have an intense desire to play horror games in autumn (if I find one off-season, I reserve it just for that time of year!). It's such a perfect season for it, like watching horror movies when the nights get a bit chilly. But for otherwise, anything goes for the rest of the seasons... although if there's any arctic/Christmas themed games I'm interested in then maybe winter gaming would be more "themed" for me.

I have a tradition where I play through scythe 2 saveless every winter. It started 2 years ago when I first completed this feat, during winter of 2018. In a way it marked my graduation from a casual player to a more serious one. From then on, every time winter rolls around, I can't help but get reminded of the feeling of that experience, even the smell of it, which may sound weird. So it became a tradition for me to do it every year.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

When I was still in kid prison school, I used to have a ritual of playing and beating Super Mario RPG during the last month of summer holidays, before the next year of school began. That’s probably the closest I’ve ever had to a seasonal game (and it’s been a long time since I last played that incredible game.. maybe I’ll need to give it another spin, that game was like crack to me as a youngn).

It’s not a seasonal thing, but sometimes when I wake up early on a brisk, refreshing morning, it takes me back to doing early morning mapping at about 6 AM before heading into school, back in about 2005. I guess since you don’t get many mornings like that in mid summer, it has to be an old fall or winter memory.

Oh and yeah, Spring is a hoax. Mass global conspiracy!!

Super Mario RPG is a fantastic game, and I applaud your taste in games. I actually need to go back and replay it again; I started a year ago and then got sidetracked. It's just so damn good. It's too bad that Squeenix got in bed with Sony and they don't give Nintendo any loving anymore; another Super Mario RPG would be amazing. I know there's Paper Mario, but it's just not the same.

The very first Superstar Saga game on GBA is still lacking that "extra magic touch" that Square used to have, but it feels much more like a proper spiritual sequel than Paper Mario ever did. Given that the game has been out for 18 years now, I'd say give it a try if you love Mario RPG.

You know when a movie franchise has an amazing first installment, then the second installment is way too different so it disappoints you, but then the third almost brings it back where it belongs, and despite not being as good as the first, is still enjoyable? I know that's probably a super specific way of putting it, but I've had that feeling so many times over the years for various game and film franchises, and the Mario RPG lineage is no exception. Everything after those original 3 is a big question mark for me.

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

You know when a movie franchise has an amazing first installment, then the second installment is way too different so it disappoints you, but then the third almost brings it back where it belongs, and despite not being as good as the first, is still enjoyable?

I hope Final Fantasy... or in fact, most JRPGs of this time come to be like they were backthen.

They are like intereactive movies right now.

Not much to do, really, aside from getting in awe with the beautiful visuals (with a few exceptions).

Everything after those original 3 is a big question mark for me.

Thats how i feel too about every franchise i followed from the las 15 years or so.

Maybe the franchises, in favor of having a bigger following fan base, become more casual and less deep?

Everything after those original 3 is a big question mark for me.

Alas, that is usually the case in movies/games. After the 3rd instalment they go downhill, sometimes they don't even make it to the 3rd. Every once in awhile though, when the planets align in a certain configuration, you will see a successful movie/game series that just seems to keep going.