Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

Doomguy double (sort of) boss

Hi guys here i am with another useless matter:

i was thinking about making a custom boss which is basically a double of doomguy, something like computer marines in deathmatch, able to switch between some weapons (raondomly i guess), and fast as fuck, Is it possible via Slade or dehacked? I m pretty sure it was already done but i can't find it anywhere.

Thanks as usual!

20 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

..... Is it possible via Slade or dehacked? .....

That depends on the map format you are using, and that can be a daunting task if you have never done this before. There is a lot of reading and experimenting involved.

You will have a lot questions.

This is the place to ask them.

For original DOOM format, new bosses are possible only in the sense that you can replace existing sprites with new ones but retaining the original name. Then in DeHacked (WHackED) you can change some codepointers to alter the boss' behaviour.

For advanced ports, such as GZDoom, Eternity and I assume 3DGE, you can create a new boss entirely with DECORATE or ZSCRIPT., and new sprites, sounds, etc without having to touch the original resources. Again resources are placed into appropriate namespaces.

Using Slade3:

Study DOOM2.WAD how it is structured with respect to namespaces.

Download a pwad made for those advanced engines and check how they are structures.

Unfortunately there is nothing explaining namespaces on the Doomwiki, but the ZDoomWiki has good a description.

Once you have the appropriate resources gathered, sprites, sounds, etc, you have to use a lump editor (Slade3) to insert them into your pwad into appropriate namespaces. To construct the DECORATE or ZSCRIPT lumps for an advanced port use Slade3 or a text editor.

The best learning tool is to dissect existing pwads.

I'll once again mention that DEHEXTRA is now a thing. Amongst other things, it adds thousands of dummy objects which you can replace with whatever you like (with the exception of new weapons).

At the moment it's supported by GZDoom, Eternity, Crispy Doom, Doom Retro, and the UMAPINFO fork of PRBoom. As it grows in popularity, hopefully it will be added by other ports such as 3DGE and Zandronum.

31 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

I'll once again mention that DEHEXTRA is now a thing. Amongst other things, it adds thousands of dummy objects which you can replace with whatever you like (with the exception of new weapons).

At the moment it's supported by GZDoom, Eternity, Crispy Doom, Doom Retro, and the UMAPINFO fork of PRBoom. As it grows in popularity, hopefully it will be added by other ports such as 3DGE and Zandronum.

I don't know it, i m reading now. But my question is how to create that kind of monster, or if it exists, and i don't even know how to get started. But thanks for the link i will carefully read it :)

I'm yet to get into it myself (but will need to for an upcoming project), but from what I understand creating a new enemy/decoration via DEHEXTRA is achieved exactly the same way you would replace something in a regular DEH/BEX file - you just have access to a much wide variety of thing numbers.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but you'll need to use WhackEd and not the old DOS DeHackEd.

5 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

I'm yet to get into it myself (but will need to for an upcoming project), but from what I understand creating a new enemy/decoration via DEHEXTRA is achieved exactly the same way you would replace something in a regular DEH/BEX file - you just have access to a much wide variety of thing numbers.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but you'll need to use WhackEd and not the old DOS DeHackEd.

yes i call it dehacked just because i m used to that name, i know it's old now :)

But i am not good at it i need advices on how to start, i think there is probably an easy way to create that monster i'm just waiting for someone who knows it^^

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

If it's for your project for which you're already using DECORATE, it'll be a lot simpler to also use DECORATE for the marine enemy.

You can even look for one of the existing allied marine mod and just remove the friendly flag so it'll be an enemy marine.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45094

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=14927

yea this is something that i wanted to ask, thanks for reminding me:

If i take those allied marines (i already thought about it but i wasn't sure) and make them as enemies would their behaviour be the same? Would they randomly switch weapons and run as fast as doomguy? Or do i need to change those things in the decorate file? If it's the latter then i don't know how to do that honestly. But yes it's for my project and yes i am already using lots of decorate files.

The only part of their behavior that should change without the friendly flag is which side they're on.

As far as movement and attack patterns go, they'll still behave as before.

2 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

That remind me that something like this exist on Scythe2 and other difficultys mode on Brutal Doom

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Scythe_2#Evil_Marine

You can try to ask the original creators if this is something that you are in need.

Yes i played scythe II many many times, the behaviour of the evil marine is perfect if not for the fact that he only uses plasma gun, i wonder if i can make it so that he switches weapons randomly, i don't really know if that's possible

I hope is possible at this time to add a deathmatch bot?

They can run and switch weapons as well. But their pathfanding and enemy figthing would be to need programed for the .wad to be added.

Just now, jamondemarnatural said:

I hope is possible at this time to add a deathmatch bot?

They can run and switch weapons as well. But their pathfanding and enemy figthing would be to need programed for the .wad to be added.

yes that was my initial idea, a monster that acts like a deathmatch bot! But i don't know how to get their script/decorate or whatever, i have no clue

47 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

yes that was my initial idea, a monster that acts like a deathmatch bot! But i don't know how to get their script/decorate or whatever, i have no clue

I recently uploaded Computer Deathmatch 4.0 to idgames, which is a modified version of 2.0 by Fraggle. It gives you a Dehacked based Deathmatch bot.

Is this perhaps of use for you?

Check out my CompPlayer file here. It's a dehacked "bot" that moves and fires at the same time and also uses different weapons.

hey m8! thanks for the answer! i see that it's a dehacked, how can i place it as a resource in db? I mean as a decorate file to test it

As in just to try it? You should be able to just load with prboom+ or (g)zdoom to test it.

Reelism's "Player 2" sounds like exactly what you're looking for in terms of "Doomguy but as a boss". That'll be your best bet if you're targeting GZDoom.

20 hours ago, Btyb88 said:

As in just to try it? You should be able to just load with prboom+ or (g)zdoom to test it.

It works but they don't change weapons, they stick with whatever they "find" or start with i don't know, one has a chaingun one a rl etc.

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

Reelism's "Player 2" sounds like exactly what you're looking for in terms of "Doomguy but as a boss". That'll be your best bet if you're targeting GZDoom.

im targeting gz, gonna check that out asap, thanks a lot :)

5 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

It works but they don't change weapons, they stick with whatever they "find" or start with i don't know, one has a chaingun one a rl etc.

With the way MBF dehacked works they randomly "switch" between a few different attacks. 

5 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

im targeting gz, gonna check that out asap, thanks a lot :)

Using gzdoom will definitely give a lot more freedom with what it sounds like you are looking for.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:23 AM, Btyb88 said:

Check out my CompPlayer file here. It's a dehacked "bot" that moves and fires at the same time and also uses different weapons.

Id LOVE for that thing to be on /idgames, and other places aswell. Its geniunely a great piece of work.