Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Y2theJ

technology?

If the human race could live happily forever (infinite) on earth or where ever else we expand to. Do you think we would reach a limit/barrier or something, that would stop us from learning new things and creating new technology? Or would we just continue to explore new ways?
Me I think we would always continue to explore new avenues.

There's always something new to be discovered, so I guess we'd carry on forever. (even after every planet and moon has been colonised, we'd be after exploring new universes and finding new places to go)

AndrewB said:
The human race is going to die and rot on this planet, and it won't be long.

If we die on our planet, it will probably be a plague of some sort. But other then that, not much could kill us off, A nuclear war on a large enough scale to wipe out *all* human life isn’t as nearly as likely as you’d think.

Ct_red_pants said:

If we die on our planet, it will probably be a plague of some sort. But other then that, not much could kill us off, A nuclear war on a large enough scale to wipe out *all* human life isn’t as nearly as likely as you’d think.

Exactly. Everyone's afraid of it, so they won't launch it. My guess is we piss off some advanced aliens and they blow us up. 10 bucks calls it. Heh.

But anyway, seeing as how you guys've missed the point of the thread completely...

I think it depends how many resources/lives people are willing to throw at each new advancement. We wouldn't have nuclear energy if a bunch of psychos hadn't set up a test react under the stadium at the University of Chicago, ready to witness the experiment and sacrifice their lives to shut the thing down if something went wrong.

AndrewB said:

The human race is going to die and rot on this planet, and it won't be long.

Hate to sound pessimistic, but in these later days and with everything going wrong seemingly, I'd wager that Drew's right.

DooMBoy said:
Hate to sound pessimistic, but in these later days and with everything going wrong seemingly, I'd wager that Drew's right.

Believe it or not, the west is not the world.

DooMBoy said:

Hokay, I take back what I said. There actually is nothing short of punk aliens or stray space dust that can kill off humans.

War/Nuclear bombs: We certainly have enough nuclear bombs to blow up the entire surface of our planet. That wouldn't kill human race though, it'd merely kill our civilization.

Plague/disease: In the ultimate disastrous case, sure, 5 billion people would die. But not everybody though.

Natural disaster/running out of energy: See the above.

Giant object hits Earth/similar: Improbable, but possible. Could certainly kill us all. Though, as we'd discover such a huge object hundreds or thousands of years before it arrives, there's a fair chance we'd be able to set it off course or colonize Mars before it happens.

Earth gets sucked in by black hole: yeah right.

Sun dies: Will be the end of life on Earth, but may not be the end of mankind. Depends on whether or not we have developed the ability to travel to remote locations in space by this time a few billion years into the future.

Alien invasion: Yeah RIGHT!

I believe that everything new we learn brings along dozens of more questions to be answered, mankind keeps shifting it's own border, so there will always be something for humanity to to.