Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASaltShaker

How does one get good at Doom?

55 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

*sigh*

Because you can't resist telling us or showing us all for the 1000th time how awesome you are at only using keyboard on UV Fast.
You know what would really impress me? Trying a mouse. Record that.

I'm gonna bank on the fact that if this poor OP doesn't know how to play Doom, he doesn't know about any of this drama-llama forum bullshit you're talking about. The OP plays keyboard, and Can't Play on Nightmare is a self-professed keyboard master, hah... let the man speak.

31 minutes ago, Hellektronic said:

I'm gonna bank on the fact that if this poor OP doesn't know how to play Doom, he doesn't know about any of this drama-llama forum bullshit you're talking about. The OP plays keyboard, and Can't Play on Nightmare is a self-professed keyboard master, hah... let the man speak.

I am no master but I dont play terrible either. I dont think there is anything that is pain about my playing.

Doom 2 Level 8 Pistol Start on Nightmare

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

I am awful at DOOM, and when I say awful, I mean I die when I play on ITYTD. that doesn't mean I should feel bad about it. I play it for the fun, not for the hope that one day I can make money from speedrunning. I like looking at the maps and going "OOOHH! look at that Wall texture! That is really cute!" So, playing DOOM doesn't mean you have to be good at it, and neither does being a member here have to do with your talent. As long as you enjoy the game, and can communicate about it, you are welcome in the community!

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I feel so dumb for not posting these videos earlier.

Decino is a real gem! Good suggestion. I learned a lot about Doom's behavior watching his vids.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Let me tell you what the problems are that you're faced with.

To begin with, beating any map from doom, or doom2, on UVfast, is not as impressive as you think it is. If you think playing these maps is fun, by all means, go ahead and have fun. But don't expect people to be over the moon just because you beat these easy maps with some added spice. The vast majority of players on these forums can beat doom2 map 05 on UVfast, and I am convinced a good number of them would also do it entirely deathless and perhaps even faster than you did.

All this criticism is for the reason that I dont use mouse. I play nothing like those doom youtubers but does this mean that I can't play Doom?

The problem is that if I was playing with mouse, I wouldn't be exposed to this hard criticism. And I will never use a mouse and that is making you guys attack at me. I played Doom with keyboard since my childhood and it will stay this way.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

It's not about winning or losing, it's how you play the game.  The way that satisfies you, and only you.

I played keyboard only for a while, tried keyboard+mouse then finally pad only.  I feel like I take the game less competitively if I'm on pad.  Pad for me feels more casual.

But if you really wan't to improve, the only way is to practice.

"What you spend the most on during the day matters the most"  <~~ Read this on a kung fu forum a long time ago.  If you wan't to improve something you really wan't, spend most of you're time on it and nothing else. 

Kung Fu = Skill Through Hard Work. 

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I am awful at DOOM, and when I say awful, I mean I die when I play on ITYTD. that doesn't mean I should feel bad about it. I play it for the fun, not for the hope that one day I can make money from speedrunning. I like looking at the maps and going "OOOHH! look at that Wall texture! That is really cute!" So, playing DOOM doesn't mean you have to be good at it, and neither does being a member here have to do with your talent. As long as you enjoy the game, and can communicate about it, you are welcome in the community!

If this was directed at NIH's post, you missed the point. Like, to speak about myself for a moment, I've beaten the first few maps of Doom 2 on UV Fast. My post history has nothing to do with that at all though, because I understand that a lot of the people on this forum are MUCH better than I. Additionally, I typically make (at least half decent, I think) posts where I interact with what other people are saying instead of the "quote entire paragraphs and derail threads" approach that NIH is calling out.

3 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

All this criticism is for the reason that I dont use mouse. I play nothing like those doom youtubers but does this mean that I can't play Doom?

The problem is that if I was playing with mouse, I wouldn't be exposed to this hard criticism. And I will never use a mouse and that is making you guys attack at me. I played Doom with keyboard since my childhood and it will stay this way.

See, somebody told you don't quote the whole thing and reply, and you went ahead and do it anyway. It's not criticism for your keyboard only, but it's the criticism for you ignoring everybody else's saying. You don't even think you have problem. There are a handful of keyboard only players, who didn't receive any criticism. It's your problem, not keyboard only's problem.

2 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Nobody really criticizes you for playing keyboard only. You're criticized for your posting habits, which are, to be blunt, obnoxious and frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

If this was directed at NIH's post, you missed the point. 

This wasn't directed towards any post. I just posted it. I didn't read NIH's post, yet. 

3 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

OMFG no. At this point I'm pretty sure you need to level up your english skills urgently (or you're just plain troll.). You missed the whole goddamn point by 200%.

2 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

Nobody really criticizes you for playing keyboard only. You're criticized for your posting habits, which are, to be blunt, obnoxious and frustrating.

You can't expect everybody to post the way you wan't them to.  Nobody is perfect.. am I correct??  Let him post the way he wants for the time being he is here..

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This wasn't directed towards any post. I just posted it. I didn't read NIH's post, yet. 

My bad then, sorry! :)

Just now, vanilla_d00m said:

You can't expect everybody to post the way you wan't (sic) them to.  Nobody is perfect.. am I correct??  Let him post the way he wants for the time being he is here..

Many people agree that his posts are more than just different. Matters of basic respect are not shown by his thread derailing comments and willful ignorance.

Just now, Ant1 said:

My bad then, sorry! :)

It's fine! Your posts are all great!

5 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

See, somebody told you don't quote the whole thing and reply, and you went ahead and do it anyway. It's not criticism for your keyboard only, but it's the criticism for you ignoring everybody else's saying. You don't even think you have problem. There are a handful of keyboard only players, who didn't receive any criticism. It's your problem, not keyboard only's problem.

Alright. I edited the post.

Just now, LiT_gam3r said:

It's fine! Your posts are all great!

Thanks very much, yours are as well.

10 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Nobody cares about your playing habits. Play how you want. I play with a controller on PS4, that doesn't mean people are now going to try to attack me. just improve the quality of your posts, that is all. Don't be mean to somebody who is trying to help. 

32 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

All this criticism is for the reason that I dont use mouse.

LMAO we're all bigoted against keyboard-only players

1 minute ago, Pseudonaut said:

LMAO we're all bigoted against keyboard-only "players"

FTFY

53 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It's your problem, not keyboard only's problem.

No, it IS the keyboard's problem. The one's he keeps typing on. 

Just now, Pirx said:

No, it IS the keyboard's problem. The one's he keeps typing on. 

Can I give you a medal or something?

And talking about derailing the thread...

Move on, people!

Why caring for someone that doesn't hurt anybody?

Seriously, move on.
Let the man alone.

About the proper topic concerning OP, and not the drama degenerated by constant trolling one member, the videos that @Doomkid posted are really awesome and helpful to any player.
But the proper topic is more deep than one might actually think.
How to get good at Doom?
Everyone has his own way of playing, and no body can tell that this is the proper way or that is the proper way.
At last, everything we learn while playing is subjetive, and it probably won't work with the playing style that one has.
Being concerned about the own skills being low for certain mapset is not bad, but experience is the only real teacher.

Keen eye and open mind helps with this matter.

If one thinks playing Doom as a proper sport: for instance, Messi, the soo renowed best player of the current times is an Argentinian that has to live on the shadow of another great player of the same country: Maradona. because he plays bad in comparisson?

Not at all, just because the other one has more impact on his time as a player.

Does Messi cares about this? not at all, he already say that all the criticism he receive is about people that tend to compare things that can't be compared at all.
Maradona was a good player on the past, Messi is a good player now. Change the roles in time, and Messi will be the greates player of all time and Maradona a nobody, maybe a good player.

What i'm trying to say is all kind of advice about getting better is subjetive to what a player find fun as a playing style.

Maybe all the advices given are good now, but someday, a new better player will appeard and all will say he/she is the holder of ''the proper way of getting good at Doom''. And that will be the truth?

For instance, @Nine Inch Heels share with us her playing style and really good advices.
And i'm really grateful for her advices and i really respect her for taking the time to develop her skill to that level. 
But if i has to face every mapset with all that in mind, i wouldn't even try to play them, why? Because playing that way bores me.
I like surprises, i like to lose, i like challenge.
Other players think that playing and replaying and remembering from memory a map and conquering it at max difficulty is fun.
But that doesn't mean that its the only way for getting good at it.

Everybody has their way at playing, and thats make this even more fun.

So, if the OP is still reading this, i hope you found something on all this advices that helps you to have more fun at playing Doom while making you feel that you are improving your skills.

I'd like to say something: you forum-nerd wretches need to go about your businesses and stop cackling like banshees at the expense of others.

Thank you and have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Hellektronic said:

you forum-nerd wretches

great way to intrigue the reader!