Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

One Single Imp and Maybe Like Three Archviles (don't download please)

Edit as of 1-28-2024: one of my biggest regrets is the fact that this is counted as an actual map on my Doomwiki page. What the fuck was wrong with 2020 me.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vwx6u07bynlo06d/one_imp.wad/file

Sourceport: GZDoom

IWAD: Doom 2

Contents: Please don't play if you like your PC.

Notes: Please don't play.

1.png

2.png

Edited by spineapple tea : Forgot the screenshot.

Why do you post a map and provide a download link while stating that we shouldn't download this?

It's your genius marketing plan?

PC Specs:

AMD A8-6500 APU 3.5 GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 8470

Results:

One Imp awake = 3 fps

One Imp and those maybe three Arch-Viles = 1 frame every three seconds

Summary:

very nice i liked this wonderful slideshow experience i enjoy not being able to hit alt+f4 to close gzdoom because a doom map partially froze my pc!

Nice work :D

13 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

PC Specs:

AMD A8-6500 APU 3.5 GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 8470

Results:

One Imp awake = 3 fps

One Imp and those maybe three Arch-Viles = 1 frame every three seconds

Would you believe me if I told you I made the wad on my Windows 7 laptop from 2010? I play tested it once.

You know how in Skyrim if a giant hits you, you fly thousands of feet into the air? I feel like the same thing would happen to you if you ran into the middle of the Archvile pit.

I got similar performance results on GZDoom as everyone else already said.

Out of sick curiosity I ported this to Boom format (that is, copy pasted everything into a new editor window and changed the 1 single linedef action in the map) to see how it would run in PR/GLBoom. According to the idrate stats, If all monsters are idle or only the imp is awake, I get a decent 80-100 fps on GL, even if over 40,000 sprites are rendered in a frame, which is pretty impressive. Once everyone is awake, frames are pinned consistently at 3 fps. In software with uncapped framerate I got about 30 fps when looking at the viles, and 2 fps when they're active, which impressed the hell out of me because there are plenty of maps I can't even walk 10 feet into in software without instantly getting 15-20 fps. I didn't get any freezes or CTD.

There is of course absolutely nothing edifying or useful to learn from any of this, it's pointless.

1 hour ago, N1ck said:

Would you believe me if I told you I made the wad on my Windows 7 laptop from 2010? I play tested it once.

By "play tested" you mean you ran it and it loaded up... right...? You didn't actually, well, manage in a timely manner to kill all three archviles (and the imp)?

7 hours ago, N1ck said:

I believe that.  I own computers much older than that so this is very easy for me to believe :D

7 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

You know how in Skyrim if a giant hits you, you fly thousands of feet into the air? I feel like the same thing would happen to you if you ran into the middle of the Archvile pit.

Actually that's exactly what happens. Unfortunately the skybox is rather low, so you cant really see the full extent of the launch.

7 minutes ago, N1ck said:

Actually that's exactly what happens. Unfortunately the skybox is rather low, so you cant really see the full extent of the launch.

Then that's actually pretty cool! I wonder if there is like a glitch that could happen with that? like get launched out of the map into like a weird area of floating textures. 

I once spent a pointless afternoon killing everything in NUTS.wad - IDDQD'ed, and IDKFA'd many times,  but killed everything. No fucking idea why I wasted my time like that...