Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

The: "Games you haven't played before and you suddenly liked" Thread.

So, I got to try Quake 3 out, and I never played said game before, and I thought it was pretty good! One downside is that Phobos was hard as shiat, even on the lower difficulties. What's your experience with games you never played, then suddenly liked?

Might and magic. 

Never played games of these series of the game. But I've seen some reviews on M&M VI and VII. And now I love them. 

But I haven't played this yet. 

Edited by Taw Tu'lki

Fallout: New Vegas.

Back in like 2013/2014 I watched someone do a playthrough of FNV and I recently managed to find that video series again and watched it through. I've never played a Fallout game before so I thought "We're in a lockdown... let's go be a cowboy that loots"; and thus, I finally learnt the beauty that is the holy black mountain radio station...

oh and sunset sarsaparilla is better than nuka cola.

Serious Sam II. I recently found a liking towards the Serious Sam series in general, and SSII's cartoony style somewhat keeps fascinating me. Been watching walkthrough vids on YouTube too. Not sure if I might pick it up anytime soon, since I have many other games to play/try too (and I wonder if my laptop is powerful enough to play it).

I think this happened to me with Underrail. Never cared about it but after watching a review I tried it and after three hours I was hooked instantly. The best RPG I've played this decade so far.

Fallout: New Vegas and then Fallout 3.

I never played Fallout series because I didn't like the style of old Fallout games, sadly(still never try them even now, I just don't like the play-style at all).

Back to 2014, was got a free copy of FNV by ordering a copy of Wolfenstein:TNO from Gaming Dragons.

Didn't redeem and install due I were busy on playing TNO and Skyrim, but weeks later I decided try FNV since I got it for free, I won't lose anything if I didn't like that too. And......now I stuck playing it and later bought Ultimate Edition and then Fallout 3 since then, and really like the FP Fallout games and their mods(expect 76, yeah I know it's not great game but I have interest, just didn't like the MMO style and not ready to try it unless I can get a free copy or something like that to try).

Blood.

I played Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior in the 90s but never really tried Blood. It wasn't until 2013-ish that I finally tried it and I loved the hell out of it. Quickly became my favorite Build engine game and is my second favorite 90s FPS right behind Doom.

Tomba! for PSX.

It was the summer of 2001/2002 and i was bored as hell without sinners to torture.
And i was fooling around trying to do something in between playing Final Fantasy VI and sleeping, and i put a random cd on the console that i don't exactyly remember at all how i got it.

I started playing, really liked the introduction video with all the nice and colourful graphics, and thats it, it is a bad Mario clone, i thought.

But i like really a lot the animated introduction so i continue playing to see i there was more of them.

And yes, just a few minutes after starting it, i found the first sage and he tolds me the story behind the game with a fantastic cinematic animation.

I loved instantly the humor and mystery on it and i started playing more and more until i find that the game was huge, really really huge with tons of missions on a challenging and puzzley open world.

Love it!

The first metroidvania-esque that i played and for me, one of the best with the mix of goofy humor, apt to Everyone story and challenging puzzley gameplay.

I have heard about The Suffering briefly during my young age, but never played it.

Played the GOG release (about 2017 I think).

Played both original and the expansion/DLC (?).

Loved the original for the F.E.A.R-esk goodness.

The continuation had some questionable design decisions, though the story ended in a satisfying way IMO and I still quite enjoyed playing it.

Ori and the Blind Forest

I heard about it back when it was first released in 2015, but never really looked into it. Recently, I heard about its sequel, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, releasing and decided I should finally give Blind Forest a go, considering it was on sale at the time too. I played it for about 30 minutes and immediately fell in love with it (it's quite hard tho); they are both now some of my favourite games of all time! :D

Thieft.

Never heard of that classic game, only know the spin off in modern consoles.

Played the demo of Glooomwood, and the creator told me that if i liked it too much, that i should try the original Thieft games.

It's one of my favorite games to play at nigth.

Doesn't happen too often to me, but I can think of one example.

in some top 10 lists, they mention Skyrim, which I always hated hearing about. I never understood the point of the game, it seemed dumb and repetitive. Then, I bought it from a Playstation sale, and WOW! I was amazed at how great the gameplay was. there was soooo much to do, and so much time to be doing it! every person had a story, and I was happy I could make my own! 

I finally played Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night not too long ago. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I often had this funny sensation, when I was deeply engrossed in them, thinking "Hey wow no wonder people are so into this" 20 years after the fact.

Had a friend who was super into the Mass Effect series, but every time he brought them over my place I just couldn't get into them. On a whim I bought the trilogy and ended up getting totally engrossed in those, then bought Andromeda and that was easily my favorite in the series gameplay-wise. It's a real shame internet crybabies got Andromeda's DLCs cancelled, I'd love to play what they had planned.

Earlier this year I ended up trying out RayForce/Layer Section/Galactic Attack/Gunlock for the first time, safe to say, it became my favourite shooter from Taito by far!

There have been more than a few such games that I'd been shunning for the longest time, particularly because I'm not typically into action games, but then found that I fairly enjoy. Those include:

Binding Of Isaac Rebirth - Looks dumb and is a timesink but this surprisingly has atmosphere to it

Deus Ex 1 - There's much here to admire, most of all the sounds and the story

GTA 5 - The story in this game is very exciting, literally like an action movie

Duke Nukem 3D - About to try this out, getting certain "nostalgic" vibe from it

Dark Souls 3 - This one I don't have yet and despite the dislike for RPG and hackslash, the gothic appeal is undeniable

Hellblade - As above and without the annoyances of RPG and even more emphasis on the story, so even better

Serious Sam! Just got the Classic bundle on Steam the other day for $6, and it has quickly become one of my favorite FPS games. Right up there with Doom, DN3D, and Quake. Took a while to solve some of the frame drop issues that are apparently common with Croteam games, but it was nothing but smooth sailing after that. Fast-paced, lowbrow fun.

DOOM 64 (On nintendo 64 emu)

I only played this game once when I rented it somany years back on my still have nintendo 64 system.  It gave me the worst motion sickness but after taking these travel sickness pills I'm able to try this one again on a nintendo 64 emulator.  I can play most FPS but DOOM seems to be the one worth playing.

I didn't really like this one because of how far it was to the originals, but I gave this one a try again because I read online it was made in San Diego.  In cali where I live.

Tried the DOOM 64 Retribution one and DOOM 64 Absolution and was hooked and had to finish it.  And I did, and I died somany times.. it does feel like an expansion of DOOM II like some people have said on the internet.  DOOM II has a map called Dead Simple and it isn't too hard, DOOM 64 has a map called Even Simpler and I was stuck on that level for hours.

I like it now... it has it's own maps and it's own final boss.  I actually like it more then the PSX version.  But in the end... PC > ALL. 

Some screenshots,

3543df.PNG

23432.PNG

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Darkwood.

I never thought a top down perspective would be conducive towards creating a genuine horror experience considering u feel so removed from the PC and the danger they encounter. 

But holy hell does it ever suceed.

Its a masterpiece and I love it to death

Tomb Raider Anniversary/Tomb Raider Series, I enjoyed the 2001 Tomb Raider movie and somehow I wanted to try playing a game from the series. Instantly loved the game as soon I saw it (plus archaelogical stuff), the only thing blocking me from playing the original Tomb Raider games is my lazyness to actually try to learn something new. :P

My wife and I have been powering through the original Sam & Max on our livingroom tv via RetroPie+ScummVM. It's such a work of art in so many ways. One of the most beautiful classic VGA games. I was always a Monkey Island/Space Quest person, so finally playing Sam & Max is a huge treat.

10 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

My wife and I have been powering through the original Sam & Max on our livingroom tv via RetroPie+ScummVM. It's such a work of art in so many ways. One of the most beautiful classic VGA games. I was always a Monkey Island/Space Quest person, so finally playing Sam & Max is a huge treat.

Similar story for me, always had Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, and Day of the Tentacle. Years later The Dig landed in front of me and I loved it.

Also, Half-Life and Counter-Strike. My new Radeon card came with a key for a bunch of GoldSrc games on Valve's new Steam platform. I had no idea what I had until months later when I made an account and redeemed it. I had always heard the name Counter-Strike on forums for other games I went to but never gave it much thought, and then it was like, "oh, THIS is why people talk about this game so much!"

13 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Similar story for me, always had Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, and Day of the Tentacle. Years later The Dig landed in front of me and I loved it.

We finished Sam & Max in 3 sessions, and it's been years and years since I've had that feeling of sadness that a game was over. Probably going to start Fate of Atlantis or The Dig next. I also played HL years after the fact and had exactly your reaction.