Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

Bastion of Chaos - Low spec version is up!

Sound block lines have been implemented and the results are a massive reduction in fps drops during fights. Full test run done to check that all of the closets still clear. Hopefully I haven't broken anything. OP updated with the new link as well.

Hotfix v0.91 - Sound propagation lines implemented. Should result in much smoother fps in all fights
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AffyrOfcqX4vntdvHdXMJoe6j8kDWGVR/view?usp=sharing

Absolutely mad level! Looking forward to trying out the framerate fixed version :)

Also, shout-outs to the music. Fits the atmosphere of the level and the brutality of the arenas!

Tempted to try an ITYTD run to see the performance difference at some point. Maybe foreknowledge and half damage will carry me through to a quick win? "Quick" being less than an hour and a half, of course...

12 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Well, time for another test then :P

Edit: Oh, that was quick, found a hole in the starting room.

Cheers. That one doesn't show for me but I've put a fix in for it. Should be taken care of

11 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Tempted to try an ITYTD run to see the performance difference at some point. Maybe foreknowledge and half damage will carry me through to a quick win? "Quick" being less than an hour and a half, of course...

Yeah even me rushing through on HNTR is still like an hour and twenty minutes or so. Thicc map is thicc

I download it from your google drive link, but it doesn't seem to load? Tried with both doom 2 and wadsmooh iwads, and map01 just gets me to the vanilla doom2 map01?
I was so ready to test this! I hope it was just an oversight on my part.

17 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

The sound block version should fix fps drops during fights (using the plasma is the worst gun for this as well). Hopefully this will make it playable for you. There will also be the lower spec version released in a week or 2 (depending on how many bugs/issues get found).

Thanks, I will try that and see if it makes a difference, though I think the map itself might be too large and detailed for me to run as I was immediately showing drops in framerate after it loaded. It's certainly an aesthetic masterpiece, though.

7 hours ago, bLUEbYTE said:

I download it from your google drive link, but it doesn't seem to load? Tried with both doom 2 and wadsmooh iwads, and map01 just gets me to the vanilla doom2 map01?
I was so ready to test this! I hope it was just an oversight on my part.

Check that you've got the latest version of gzdoom and then all you need to do is drag the zip file onto gzdoom.exe (assuming no one else is having this issue and I didn't break something). I did double check the pk3 worked before uploading the new build 

GZDoom 4.3.3, v0.91

That's probably a pure luck whether I get BoC's Map 1 or Vanilla Map 1. I have never seen that kind of glitch with other GZDoom mods, even ones that have Map 1 only.

While I'm constantly shooting from the chaingun, I sometimes hear single outer shots like a zombieman is firing me from nowhere.

Optimization is poor or my PC is too weak. Both Vulkan and OpenGL can't handle open realms without frame drops down to 25.

AMD Radeon R9 270, i5 4460, 1080p.

- All HQ options, resizes and multisampling are off.

- All postprocessing options are off

- Render quality - speed. Render mode - Hardware accelerated.

Edited by Dimon12321

@Dimon12321 afaik it shouldn't be possible to only load the map sometimes. That's definitely something I've never seen before. There were a few streamers playing it yesterday with no issues but I'll check to make sure it's loading fine when I get home tonight.

Looks like an r9 is equivalent to a geforce 760 which will definitely struggle. The low spec build will be much less taxing on gpu. I'm not exactly sure how much less but it will be substantially less intensive

Hi BridgeBurner,
I'm trying to load it the same way as I have for countless wads or pk3's, and first time I'm seeing that issue. Drag-and-drop is not really applicable here as I'm on Linux. Running GZDoom 4.4.2.
I'm using ZDL launcher, and already double checked that it is passing the -iwad and -file options correctly into the executable (iwad being doom2.wad and file being your .pk3). Both windows and linux versions of ZDL have an option where you can click "show command line", and that's how I verified that. Really odd indeed.

Edited by bLUEbYTE

@bLUEbYTE that's a real shame. I'm gonna say it's something to do with Linux as I usually use zdl as well and haven't had any issues. I'll ask around my server and see if anyone has got it running on Linux and get back to you 

Just now, Bridgeburner56 said:

@bLUEbYTE that's a real shame. I'm gonna say it's something to do with Linux as I usually use zdl as well and haven't had any issues. I'll ask around my server and see if anyone has got it running on Linux and get back to you 

Thanks, let me know if you need further info.

Hey, Bridgeburner. Thanks for the new file with updated sound lines. I am able to get things running now, with some moderate lag in some spots though everything is now running fast enough to be mostly playable. I've been playing through the map on HMP, and I have two questions so far.

1) I have some experience with slaughtermaps, but this was on a whole 'nother level, and so I've got to know: What's the best strategy for the Rocket Launcher pit, because I fought my way to the switches, saved myself into a corner, saved into a much worse corner, and fought like crazy to finish the fight after literally about 60 deaths. So... besides "don't save below 30% health", is there a better way to approach this fight, because using the outer rooms for cover was very dicey for me.

2) In the spiraling staircase room with the Revenant swarm and the blood pit, where is the switch to lower the stairs, because I hit both switches in the room and got stuck because I couldn't get back out. I killed most of the other enemies, then had to jump to get back up, which I know isn't the solution? I do wonder if I might've had a glitch, because there was a Hell Knight that spawned directly under the bottom step and I couldn't attack him.

This is with LZDoom 3.85, if that helps with the second point.

@666shooter

I'll chuck the answer to 1 in a spoiler

Spoiler

The best strat is to pressure the revenants straight away. Use the pillars in the hall and alcoves for cover from the mancs and try to hold them back a long as possible. Go back to restock on rockets before carving a hole through the revs (can herd them to one side pretty easily) so you can get behind to kill the PEs. It's best to use plasma at this point. Switch back to rockets once you've cleared space at the back and keep an eye on ammo. You should be able to carve a safe staging point to assault the mancs around the switch. 

Regarding 2, monsters will block the stairs lowering but if one is stuck you can kill it and they will finish their movement. I tried to make a way for them to crush but because they are 3dfloors it was very problematic. I've never seen a monster in a position that couldn't be killed so you must have been unlucky. Rocket splash is usually enough. If you can't kill something then I'd just use mdk in console to kill it. 

Glad to hear the new build is running smoother. All reports have been that its much much more stable fps in fights so learning about the sound propagation was a massive win. 

I've also asked people to check 0.91 loads fine and there have been no issues. I'll still double check when I get home but as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the build that would stop it loading.

Current plan is to make a few tweaks over the weekend which will include some texture tweaks, a couple of extra secrets and making changes based on feedback. There shouldn't be anything super drastic though. I'll then wait till the following weekend and if evrything looks good I shall start work on the low spec build which shouldn't take a massive amount of time. I will be very curious to see what the feedback on that build is. 

6 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

@666shooter

I'll chuck the answer to 1 in a spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

The best strat is to pressure the revenants straight away. Use the pillars in the hall and alcoves for cover from the mancs and try to hold them back a long as possible. Go back to restock on rockets before carving a hole through the revs (can herd them to one side pretty easily) so you can get behind to kill the PEs. It's best to use plasma at this point. Switch back to rockets once you've cleared space at the back and keep an eye on ammo. You should be able to carve a safe staging point to assault the mancs around the switch. 

Regarding 2, monsters will block the stairs lowering but if one is stuck you can kill it and they will finish their movement. I tried to make a way for them to crush but because they are 3dfloors it was very problematic. I've never seen a monster in a position that couldn't be killed so you must have been unlucky. Rocket splash is usually enough. If you can't kill something then I'd just use mdk in console to kill it. 

Thank you, that does make more sense with regards to 1.

I may try to find my way back to that room later in 2 and see if that fixes the issue. I thought it must have been something like that because I couldn't see any other switches, and I fired all of one rocket down there but got distracted by the other enemies and forgot about it, haha. That must be what was causing it, so thanks.

Congrats on this amazing achievement, Bridge! I'll give it a go tonight.

By Satan's gloriously red asshole, this map is incredible and even after playing for an hour I've barely scratched the surface. This style of map is pretty exhausting, so I'm going to have to do this in parts, so here's the first hour of my playthrough.

HNTR | GZDoom + Hellrider

18 hours ago, bLUEbYTE said:

Hi BridgeBurner,
I'm trying to load it the same way as I have for countless wads or pk3's, and first time I'm seeing that issue. Drag-and-drop is not really applicable here as I'm on Linux. Running GZDoom 4.4.2.
I'm using ZDL launcher, and already double checked that it is passing the -iwad and -file options correctly into the executable (iwad being doom2.wad and file being your .pk3). Both windows and linux versions of ZDL have an option where you can click "show command line", and that's how I verified that. Really odd indeed.

Paste your command line it is trying to use. How is it handling spaces?

I do not use a launcher personally but all I'm doing is changing to the directory bastion is in and running this command in terminal:

gzdoom bastion\ v0.91.pk3, this brings up the iwad selector and I just pick doom2.

Alternatively this is working too:

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file bastion\ v0.91.pk3

I didn't heed the warning about lights.pk3 so I'm dealing with a frame rate struggle from time to time.. GTX 980 Ti and 3770k.. Need to update this old war horse.

@Biodegradable Just watched your vid and thoroughly enjoyed it :D Very much looking forward to part 2.
What mod is that? Looks pretty sharp. It's definitely making it a bit easier, especially with the double jumping and no self damage, but it looks like fun and it doens't appear to be having a detrimental affect on performance (which a lot of mods do).

I actually did an HNTR run with supercharge and it was a blast. Definitely gonna do a UV randomised run of that.

10 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

@Biodegradable Just watched your vid and thoroughly enjoyed it :D Very much looking forward to part 2.
What mod is that? Looks pretty sharp. It's definitely making it a bit easier, especially with the double jumping and no self damage, but it looks like fun and it doens't appear to be having a detrimental affect on performance (which a lot of mods do).

I actually did an HNTR run with supercharge and it was a blast. Definitely gonna do a UV randomised run of that.

Supercharge is one of those rare mods that seems to make almost any Wad that much better. It must be because it's self-balanced so well.

Also... that Wad does look pretty cool. I might have to check it out.

Congratulations on this amazing release!

My laptop (8th gen i5, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8 GB RAM, SSD) is far below the 'required' spec, and I know there will eventually be a low spec version of the map, but I just couldn't resist. I'm playing v0.91 with the Vulkan renderer on 1080p. The framerate averages at 30 fps and often dips towards 20 fps. It plays sluggish, but then again, the visuals are mind blowing. This is without a doubt the most impressive looking Doom map I've ever played. I don't have much experience with slaughtermaps, so I picked ITYTD. Based on monster count, I think I'm at about one third of the map now. So far I only spotted a tiny glitch near the first cyberdemon.

I'm looking forward to check out the rest of the map in the next few days.

22 hours ago, bLUEbYTE said:

Hi BridgeBurner,

One thing I did notice was that the structure of the PK3 is a little different than most.  Rather than all the folders being in the root of the zip, they're inside Bastion/ first.  It could be how Windows and how Linux handles folders like this differs.  

If you open the PK3 in Slade (or a Zip editor of your choice) and move all the folders from inside Bastion/ into the root directory, maybe that might help.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

If you open the PK3 in Slade (or a Zip editor of your choice) and move all the folders from inside Bastion/ into the root directory, maybe that might help.

Nice catch! That was it. I unzipped the pk3, and rezipped it so that there is no bastion/ subdirectory inside the zip, and it worked right away.

Is there a reason to have this subdirectory inside the archive BridgeBurner?

I've also made sure that spaces in the filename was not the culprit and verified that I can load it with or without spaces in the filename, so that's not a problem. But I'd still recommend against having spaces in your pk3 filename, as a general good practice, regardless of platform.

I'm thinking maybe I should report this as a bug to GZDoom dev team, but my setup is very unusual and I may actually be confusing them by doing so :) I'm actually running Windows version of GZDoom in Wine, due to the native Linux version not having first class controller support as the windows version does https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69413. I get the feeling it's particular to this kind of setup (and possibly a bug or difference in wine compared to native windows).

Either way, it's good that we have gotten to the bottom of this.

At the start area my FPS was 17, so, that's a problem, but that's another thing entirely...

Edited by bLUEbYTE

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

One thing I did notice was that the structure of the PK3 is a little different than most.  Rather than all the folders being in the root of the zip, they're inside Bastion/ first.  It could be how Windows and how Linux handles folders like this differs.  

ahhh that might be it. i know this fucks with zandro but gzdoom doesn't mind nested folders generally. linux might be more picky although it doesn't look like refracture had issues getting running

3 hours ago, bLUEbYTE said:

I'm actually running Windows version of GZDoom in Wine, due to the native Linux version not having first class controller support as the windows version does

Ohhhh okay. Yeah.. I have my controller setup on the Linux version in a way that at best I would describe as... serviceable. Fortunately GZDoom supports Vulkan so performance loss from running the Windows version in Wine is probably negligible if anything.

12 minutes ago, ReFracture said:

Ohhhh okay. Yeah.. I have my controller setup on the Linux version in a way that at best I would describe as... serviceable. Fortunately GZDoom supports Vulkan so performance loss from running the Windows version in Wine is probably negligible if anything.

Performance hit that I observe is about 5-10 fps in wine. Ultimately depends on your hardware and gpu drivers. But if you happen to have an intel iris iGPU, you might want to read https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10436&p=1160451#p1160451. But this will have the opposite effect in modern maps like this one.

11 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

The gameplay mod I've been using a lot lately is called Hellrider and it's being developed by Moa Dixon. Not sure what their ultimate goal is regarding the mod since Moa appears to be keeping their cards close to their chest, but for now it's a pretty well-balanced weapons mod that works well with Doom's vanilla demon behaviour and difficulty. It's my personal favourite mod right now.