Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My introduction to the Diablo series began all the way back in 1997 with the publically available demo. I was instantly hooked by its macabre atmosphere, memorable characters, lore, and satisfying core gameplay loop. I never fully completed the game but likely will at some point down the road. Diablo 2 fully improved on everything the original offered and was a game that I played obsessively. It remains to this day a hallmark in the pantheon of classic PC games and one of the best action RPGs ever made.

With the arrival of Diablo 3's 21st season and now owning a computer that isn't an Egg McMuffin I figured now would be as good a time as any to revisit the world of Sanctuary. I've known for years this time would eventually come and have felt a sense of uneasy anticipation. Not because I was ever expecting to dislike Diablo 3, but more so that I feared turning into the guy with no life from South Park. I don't usually get addicted to video games, but there's always been something about the instantly gratifying, hacky slashy nature of Diablo and games that have taken inspiration from it that numbs me and rewires my brain so that I'm always wanting a slightly better pair of pants. Sure enough, it's been almost a whole month since I started playing Diablo 3 and my productivity has plummeted. But this was bound to happen regardless of how well Diablo 3 compared in my mind to the previous installments. Fortunately, Diablo 3 is really good. Like, really fucking good. In fact, I think I like it more than Diablo 2. 

When people bash Diablo 3 it almost sounds like they're talking about an entirely different game altogether. This game has been in active development since 2012 and it really shows. Many of the game's early criticisms have been fully addressed and there's a real sense of polish and commitment behind everything that's on offer. A lot of people really dislike the game's WOW-inspired art direction, but I think it compliments the fast-paced, arcadey action of the game perfectly. A lot of things have been streamlined, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Yeah, the game's a lot more forgiving and user-friendly than Diablo 2, but the people who say Diablo 3 offers less build variety and strategy are mistaken. Being strictly locked into narrow skill-tree I think works better for more hardcore RPGs such as System Shock 2, but I think it benefits Diablo 3 by offering you the freedom and flexibility to experiment with a wide variety of builds without having to worry about permanent consequences. I also think Diablo 3 has far better endgame content than Diablo 2 with its Greater Rifts offering near-endless replayability, as well as bounties, leaderboards, and seasonal objectives. It definitely beats spending thousands of hours doing Baal runs and farming for Tyrael's Might. 

One of the most incredible things about Diablo 3 is its story. And by that, I mean that it is utterly incompetent to the point of fascination. The villains all talk like they belong in a subpar Saturday morning cartoon. Two of the game's major antagonists taunt you by revealing crucial information to you that inevitably leads to their downfalls, and are even praised by the heroes for how cunning they are. There are multiple instances of character arcs that begin, and nearly all of them lead nowhere or just get dropped altogether. Many of the most prolific voice actors in the world lend their talents to this game, so as fun as it is to criticize everything wrong with the game's character direction, I can't help but feel that a lot of the talent here is just being wasted. The banter between characters gets especially irritating after a point, but fortunately, there's a volume slider for the voices. I will say however that the prerendered cinematics are very well done, and the character direction of Tyrael is generally handled quite well. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I respect Diablo 3 more than Diablo 2, but I do find it more enjoyable to play. Certainly, Diablo 2 offers far better worldbuilding and dialogue than Diablo 3, but gameplay is ultimately paramount when it comes to games of this sort. I even started my own clan, and we've really been making a name for ourselves and are growing by the day. Just search for the clan tag "McD" if you're interested in becoming a part of McDonaldland. Or if you just want to do some pvp or pve on the seasonal ladder, my Battle.net tag is "McDJames1611". See you in Sanctuary. 

I have no doubt it's a fantastic game.

But I am still salty.

"you didn't like the bright colors in the trailer? wow, edgelord!"

"they made a joke about it in a secret level! it's not an actual issue!"

"of course they made it like WoW! WoW is a good game, you idiot!"

The whole debacle happened around a perfect storm of Blizzard being butt-holes and gamers being haughty pompous wieners I just am in no mood to get over that this millennium.

inb4 a few years from now when I'm absolutely obsessed with the game and I'm playing it 24/7

3 hours ago, Ajora said:

A lot of things have been streamlined, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah...not necessarily. Personally I disliked the fact that you didn't have control over leveling up your stats. And, the battles just didn't feel very impactful. Diablo 2 had the same problem to a lesser extent - the endless smashing of popcorn enemies got a little out of hand. I felt like I was either crushing everything, or suddenly dead. I didn't play a lot of D3 though and I don't remember what difficulty it was, plus it was at my friend's house who would turn off the lights and had a really comfy couch and a massive TV and I would literally fall asleep. So perhaps it would be more fun if I played on a PC. They are fun games but the sense of dread and pressure in D1 is unbeatable!

Diablo 1 is the best Diablo. Diablo 2 is the second best, but I hit a massive brick wall because the warrior I was playing as didn't have enough magic resistance to finish the second act, and I fucked up and leveled physical skills, so all the enemies wouldn't give me any XP so I couldn't level up any magic resistance. After I hit that brick wall I just went on to other games; good game otherwise, but you can completely fuck yourself if you upgrade the wrong stats.

Diablo 3 I just stopped playing because it's so insanely boring. It's the opposite of Diablo 2, it seems like it holds your hand to such a degree that there's no way you can fuck it up. And this goes beyond allowing you to upgrade the wrong things to the point where you can't kill a magician because you have no magic resistance. You just can't die because it decides what skills are upgraded, and the enemies are so weak that they can't kill you.

I'm playing Diablo and Diablo II. Never played Diablo III, but if I finish the second part, I'll play this. 

I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 but not enough to go crazy for Diablo 3, which I never played. If they had the Necromancer available I would have played it early on. These days I think it is paid DLC? I wasn't happy to hear about its original auction system.

It's a game I kind of want to play and happy to hear its gameplay is good (I never cared for Diablo's lore or story). Maybe someday I will get it.

Edited by Chezza

11 hours ago, Jello said:

You just can't die because it decides what skills are upgraded, and the enemies are so weak that they can't kill you.

The campaign is far too easy but it isn't the meat of the game and is often referred to as the tutorial. With Greater Rifts there will always be a higher tier available that you simply cannot beat, no matter who you are. IIRC the highest level anyone has reached thus far is 152. 

20 minutes ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

Diablo IIIs end game content is the best.

You find that that area in act III that is very obviously Bloodborne inspired u can only go to after beating the game and going to adventure mode?

Temple of the Firstborn. Yeah, I've been there. 

Diablo 1 & 2 were a masterclass in the genre, but I wasn't crazy on Diablo 3.

I managed to get up to the hardest difficulty (Inferno I think) Act IV on vanilla D3 before I left and it was genuinely hard to get that far. I went back a few years later and found they had removed and changed the whole difficulty progression. It's both a good thing and a bad thing for various reasons.

In the end though I wasn't a fan of the change (I'm probably in the minority). It did however play a lot better that time around, but I eventually got bored and left again.

Compared to Diablo 2 where I sunk thousands of hours into it over the course of years and yes, Diablo 3 did leave a sour taste. That said, I did agree with many of the improvements they implemented since I had been gone, but something was still off. It just didn't get its hooks into me, but I got my money's worth so I guess I can't complain too much.

The way I look at it is Diablo 3 was a good game, but a bad Diablo game. If it didn't have the Diablo name attached to it I'm sure it would have been viewed more favourably when it came out.

From what I've seen, D3 has great melee combat compared to Path of Exile. That alone would make it worth for me to at least try, but I think I'll wait for D4. 

Diablo for me is a series that always had much better atmosphere than story, and it was more fun to theorycraft than actually play. 

Diablo 2 is hands down the most important and influential, and a masterpiece when it comes to artstyle and lore.

Diablo 3 in the other hand is actually very fun, and I do agree that the endgame content is extremely fun. My main issue with it its that the campaign feels lackluster (until act V where we face Malthael, one of the coolest bosses in the game.) so it can get boring fast for a first timer without having friend ingame. Once you get max level everything is just so much better. I do agree that the game was pretty lame as heck during launch and even before RoS, but currently its a pretty damn fun game and I actually think that its getting more active. Stacraft 2 and Diablo 3 are the ''silent kids'' in the classroom, but they're actually cool and fun kids to hang with once you meet them well.

Here's the unpopular opinion in the thread: I love Diablo 3. I'm replaying it now actually, currently in Hell mode.

Maybe it's because I never got to play 1 or 2 and I only ever played 3, and on the Xbox 360 version. I heard the console versions are easier compared to PC, but I wouldn't know. I also have only played the original release of the 360 version. I do plan to play UEE with RoS soon.

I really enjoy the game though, apart from Act II. The second act sucks, and I fucking hate Sand Wasps. The best thing about Act II is meeting Shen in my opinion.

I love finding new gear and always improving. It's such a joy to see that shiny orange glow of a legendary item appear.

I play Barb pretty much exclusively. It's a lot of fun to combine the skills to really wipe out groups of enemies fast. I stick to what I call the "Whirlrend" build. That is, I use Ground Stomp to pull enemies in, then Rend, and Whirlwind. Really effective against large groups of weaker enemies.

Path of Exile, now that was what Diablo 3 should have been. However, the combat in D3 leaves PoE in the dust.

I actually invested a good chunk of money in PoE when it was being developed (got a bunch of both physical and digital stuff, plus my name in the credits). I did it to help get the game developed though, I wasn't really interested in the goody bag stuff. 

I don't normally throw that kind of coin at games, but at the time that genre was as dry as papyrus. There simply wasn't anything else like it around.

I haven't been back to PoE in awhile, last time I was playing it there was a whole fiasco over Tencent getting involved. Majority shareholder I think, they acquired a big slice of shares in any case. I had heard that the game has went downhill since, but I can't confirm as I haven't been keeping up with news on it.

51 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Here's the unpopular opinion in the thread: I love Diablo 3. I'm replaying it now actually, currently in Hell mode.

It's not that unpopular, Diablo 3 was fun for awhile.  

It was always at risk of pissing people off due to the sheer amount of time that had passed between D2 and D3. Expectations and nostalgia of fans had spiralled out of control and it's hard to match those expectations for any developer. Also, gaming in general had changed a lot since D2.

In any case, not a bad game and I enjoyed it. But it was too simplistic for my ARPG tastes. As I said above in my previous post my opinion on it is that Diablo 3 was a great game, but a poor Diablo game. 

It wasn't terrible though, far from it. You should easily get 80-100 hours of entertainment from it.

I'd love to see more people leveling on expert or Torment. Pretty sure most people's complains about it being too easy will evaporate if people leveled their characters on any of the torment levels. Monsters no longer die before you can even see them.

Too bad you can't do same in PoE. Forced to fall asleep leveling through the stupid campaign with a million act before you can start a new league.  (Unless they finally decided to update that, but to my knowledge all they did was even more fucking acts to make leveling even more annoying)

I've been playing Diablo II since it was released. From Classic to Expansion ladder/non-ladder, from when a WW Barb with dual fury swords was the shit to now everyone and their mothers have enigma runeword armor and a super weapon like an eth breath of the dying, with spirit shield and call to arms flail on switch. I've seen the dupe glitches, I've been scammed in trading (because of my own stupidity of course) and to this day I haven't seen some of the higher runes drop, not even in players 8 games. I've played hacked characters on Open Battle.net, I've ran rushing services on d2jsp and before d2jsp was really used, I've ran countless Ubers with ease and countless Ubers with great difficulty, never ran Uber Diablo tho, that takes way too much planning and coordination (I hear there's a dedicated IRC lobby just for this purpose) and SoJs are rare as it is. Now they have queues for making games, as a way to stop bots and Baal/Chaos runs I suppose, and there's maybe 30 people in a chat channel when I log in now, but I still love Diablo II, and I can't see myself liking Diablo III for various reasons:

- No runewords. Half the fun I have in Diablo II is making runeword equipment. I highly enjoy being able to make a Lore helm, Stealth armor and Rhyme shield in the early game so it isn't such a slog. Having a barb or a necro with Enigma armor makes for a faster paced game and makes finding more loot even better, especially when I can buff myself with Call to Arms. Plus, you can't do Ubers without them (well, not very easily at least... Idk what I'd do without Treachery armor). Even without runewords (and therefore no infinity polearms!) you could just use alternatives like the Hone Sundan (cheers if you find an eth one) and throw two Shael runes and an Amn rune inside and run an Act 2 offensive merc with it and have an easy time in Hell. It's also great to throw an Um rune inside a helm to get that magic find percentage.

- Art direction leaves a lot to be desired. D2 is dark and gothic and even today it still looks fantastic IMO. Diablo III looks too cartoony to me.

- No control over stats? No re-rolling characters? You know what's great in Diablo II? If I have a cold/fire MF sorc and I want to make a pure Light sorc, I can just re-roll stats and skills and get the proper equipment. No need to make a new sorc and level her up and get to Hell difficulty.

Do I think D2 is perfect? Hell no:

- Skill tree is fun and all, but if you're playing ladder, you're going to run into the issue of where you pick a pre-made build or else you're going to have a hell of a time getting equipment. For example, D2 is fucking littered with Paladins. With the right equipment, you can have a hammerdin doing 30k damage easily, with 15k life and an endless supply of mana, max chance to block and defense/resistances so high that even if you DO hit him you're most likely dead shortly after. Now try making a bowazon. Windforce bow is easily one of the hardest, in my experience at least, to find from drops, and even then when you have other classes like hammerdins or trapsins that do almost double the damage output with no real consequences, why bother?

- Drop rates are fucking ridiculous:

For normal monsters: The more players, the more drops.

For Super Uniques (like Pindleskin), Uniques and Champions: player setting is irrelevant.

Super Uniques will always drop two items.

Uniques will always drop one item.

Champions will always drop one item.

Bosses: "nodrop" will be reduced to zero for 5 unpartied players or 3 near players in the same party. In Single Player the difference between the drops for 3 player setting and 5 player setting is only marginal though.

Note: The formula implies, that for unpartied players (and simulated players via the Players X Command) only every second additional players has impact on drop rates. So the steps for more drops are players 3, players 5 and players 7.

High runes are some of the best currency in game. From this link:

The fastest way to guarantee that a high rune will drop is an 8 player group in any of the level 85 areas - specifically, Chaos Sanctuary, Worldstone Keep, and the Cow Level, due to a higher monster density. However, that means that you'll be competing with 7 other players for grabbing that high rune when it does actually drop.

I've seen high runes drop in Chaos Sanctuary. What usually happens though, is either someone else has much better reflexes, or more than likely, they have a pickup bot running. If you're doing Chaos runs with a bot to level up, you can pretty much say goodbye to finding any high runes, and since almost no one does Chaos runs without a bot anymore... you get the drift.

- Bots. Bots are great for leveling characters and I've followed many Baal/Chaos runs. Bots fucking suck for everything else though. They used to flood chats with advertising, they're the reason that D2 has create game queues now (took me 10 minutes to create a game last night, just to run Andy, Countess, Meph...), and you can hardly find people to walk through the actual Acts because they'd rather pay someone their Hell forge quest to g-rush them to A5 Hell and sit in baal runs for an hour and reach lvl 90. Don't get me wrong, I've done this before and its great if you need to get a char up fast, but after a while it's really stale. It forces you to play an entirely different game. For example, a friend botted and I would post on d2jsp for him to offer leveling services. Someone would inquire, and I'd accept. I'd get their account info, log in and choose their char they want leveled. I'd get rushed to Act 5 Hell from my friend, then sit on that char doing Chaos runs the entire night until I hit a certain level (I think it was 85). I'd reply back to the person, they'd pay me in forum gold, and I'd split it with my friend. We even had a spreadsheet of people who wanted leveling services. It was wild, and not any fun at all.

3 is lacking atmosphere. It's not badly made, it just has no soul. Everything about is forgettable. Don't get me wrong, I spent several hundreds of hours grinding my ass off in grifts, trying to beat the timer by putting up my increasingly large numbers against the enemy's increasingly large numbers, but after a while I realized I wasn't having any goddamn fun, and the game just turned into white noise, to the point where I basically had to have a podcast running on my second screen to not fall asleep.

There's just nothing in this game that would compare to the fantastic feeling of walking out from the Rogue Encampment for the first time with your level 1 character, hearing them utter their first quip and slay the first Fallen/Zombie/Quill rat and hearing the following play.

For fuck's sake I still remember every sound from that game - footsteps, monster and player grunts, weapon swooshes, chests/doors being opened, gold dropping, town portal appearing, scrolls of identify being used, potions being chugged etc. I remember nothing from D3, aside from the 'ting' made by legendary items when they drop on the floor.

I heard a remake was in the works, but if it's complete audiovisual overhaul, it will be a flop. The game has this unique, rough feel to it. Hi-res support and high framerate are the only things needed for a successful remaster. It kinda worked for HoMM3, it would work here too.

I don't really see how a remaster could possibly improve upon the original in any meaningful way. Diablo 2 doesn't really need a remaster.

I still wonder what genius made the music extremely low even on max settings in the game. I can't remember a single song outside the 5th act.

Everyone is talking about now much Diablo 3 sucks, but no one catched up on Ajora playing videogames on an Egg McMuffin?

Pretty sure this means Ajora is the only person in the world who has managed to play Doom on an Egg McMuffin.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the community for the most part is pretty non-toxic. Players are usually pretty chill and willing to lend a helping hand.

It was a fun game but thats all it really was.

I've been replaying Diablo 2 on and off for more than a decade now and its always a blast. 

Its been 3 years since i last touched Diablo 3 and i dont really feel like replaying it again, its just lacks depth to be replayable.

I didn't enjoy it near as much as Diablo 2, I also hate how it has always online DRM.

Initial release of Diablo 3 was kinda meh. It did take me losing lvl 75 wizard on hardcore to give it up for very long time. 

The game in its current state really shines on the PS4. You can sit on your couch with a controller and mash away. Friends visiting can pick up a controller hop right into it too. Super casual, and a much better experience for what the game has evolved / devolved into. 

My only problem with Diablo 3 is stupid Blizzard canceled the second expansion they promised. It still fun but just like Diablo 2 I just tired on everything and don't have enough time to keep playing them... :(