Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mein Leben

Doom II and where to get it

I'm looking for Doom II and don't know where to find it. A version of Doom II to make wads out of. If you can tell me thanks.

2 minutes ago, Mein Leben said:

compatible with windows 10 (forgot to mention)

Well, Dosbox - the default and prepackaged program in both links for the game is compatible with Windows 10.

Alternatively, you could look for source ports like GZDoom available at zdoom.org and follow the installation instructions accordingly.

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well, Dosbox - the default and prepackaged program in both links for the game is compatible with Windows 10.

Alternatively, you could look for source ports like GZDoom available at zdoom.org and follow the instructions accordingly.

and also I didn't know you could make wads with doom ii on steam

2 minutes ago, Mein Leben said:

and also I didn't know you could make wads with doom ii on steam

You could, you just have to know some basic computer knowledge like how to move files, get to know file extension basics (.wad), etc.

What type of wads are you looking to make however is a completely different beast - they could be maps or mods.

6 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You could, you just have to know some basic computer knowledge like how to move files, get to know file extension basics (.wad), etc.

What type of wads are you looking to make however is a completely different beast - they could be maps or mods.

maps I guess

13 minutes ago, Mein Leben said:

maps I guess

For most things like that, any copy of the WAD will work. Just make sure to buy it! I bought my Doom IWADs from Steam, but GOG also works as mentioned above.

1 hour ago, Mein Leben said:

maps I guess

Welcome aboard, pal! Hope you have a nice time on the forums!

For making maps you will need not only the Doom2.wad you will also need to download the program for making maps: Doom Builder.
And here is where things start to complicate a little.

Let me explain you about.

Doom is a game that is almost 30 years old. And as computers become more complex, a lot of sourceports were created to play Doom on more modern PC that leave the old DOS environment code base.

With the different sourceport, some improvement were made to the original game, improvement not possible at all in the original executable, and thus different mapping format appeared.

-Chocolate Doom is a sourceport that replicates all that was possible on the original Doom executable. Maps for the original Doom executable and for this sourceport are called ''vanilla maps'', because they work on the original vanilla flavored Doom and so they are in Doom/Doom2 Format ;).

-Crispy Doom is a sourceport like Chocolate Doom but that let you work over the original limitations of the Doom engine. The original limitations are on different grade, visual bugs to gamecrashing, but with this sourceport, all limitations are removed, so a map that gos over the limitations are called ''limit-removing'', but they are still the original Doom/Doom2 format.

-Boom-Derivative: on 1998 Team TNT, the team that designed part of Final Doom - TNT: Evilution, released a new sourceport that removed all the limits of the original engine and add some new features, and then Lee Killough, also member of team TNT, refined Boom even more and added more features and release it as MBF (Marine's Best Friend). But those sourceport worked on DOS environment, and so new sourceport for modern PC with them as a base appeared: DoomRetro, Woof, and PrBoom+. Maps for this kind of sourceport are called ''Boom Compatible'' and use the Boom Format map format.

-ZDoom-Dereivatives: Zdoom is a sourceport that was released also in 1998 and it merged the codebase of the different Doom engine games (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife) adding all the features onf this 4 games on a simple package, allowing the mappers to take things even further, transforming Doom on a new game if it is desired. And also creating a new codebase language to manipulate the different resources of the original game without changing them, this way plenty of gameplay mods were created.
The sourceport had different incarnation: ZDoom, LZDoom, and GZDoom, they are just upgraded versions or versions for low end PC users.

The trick is that you need to know for what kind of compatibility are you aiming when you make a new map, hence a little rule is apply to understand how this work:

Most compatible--------------------------------------------------------------------------Less compatible.

Vanilla------------------Limit-Removing------------------Boom-Compatible--------------------ZDoom-Dereivative

Vanilla compatible maps are compatible with all the sourceport, but as you move to the right of the mapping range you will need different sourceport to play the different formats.

For example, Boom-derivatives base sourceport can reproduce maps on vanilla, limit-removing and boom format, but they can't reproduce zdoom derivative map formats. Zdoom derivatives sourceports can reproduce all that comes behind it, but their zdoom base projects are only compatible with zdoom derivative base ports.

And so, after all the explanation all that is left is what you want to do.

To organize the different graphics lumps you will use as resources on your projects you will need this program: Slade 3

Now, is up to you, pal!

Hope you have fun mapping and creating on the Doom Art Scene!

;)

Edited by P41R47