Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHambourgeois

Is there a trick for sector light effects in eternity UDMF maps?

Question

Having an issue with a map I am working on right now. I'm not very familiar with UDMF so I'm wondering if that's a factor.

Anyway, I have a room with a general brightness level of 128, 4 sectors at 224, and 1 sector at 255. The 4 sectors are sector type 17 (light flickers), the brightest sector has type 8 (light glows). All the bright sectors are surrounded by 128 brightness sectors or 1 sided linedefs. When I load the map in eternity, all those sectors are rendered at their set brightness level without the flicker or glow. I'm running a ~15 day old dev build of eternity if that's relevant.

Anyway as far as I remember the light effects should bounce between the adjacent sector's light and the sector's own light setting and I use the effects frequently in vanilla make with no problem.

8 answers to this question

Ok well the rub is I should have it set up correctly then but it's just rendering at a static light level in game.

Here's the relevant wad I guess. Should run in the most recent daily build of eternity from drd. The batch file should run it appropriately if you drop it in your eternity folder. Issue is in map 2 in the sword room (approach the room with the red key and it'll blink in eventually).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kPJ0qhCELw7tMvbFdV34eYHIk5OQbaj4/view?usp=drivesdk

14 minutes ago, TheHambourgeois said:

using the generalized parameters instead of the stock ones

So you tried using doom format specials for your EE-UDMF format map..?  When mapping for EE-UDMF format maps, you'll have to use the parameterized linedef specials instead of the classic parameter-less ones.

33 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

So you tried using doom format specials for your EE-UDMF format map..?  When mapping for EE-UDMF format maps, you'll have to use the parameterized linedef specials instead of the classic parameter-less ones.

Literally my first time UDMF mapping and they still show up in the UI so...

1 hour ago, TheHambourgeois said:

Literally my first time UDMF mapping and they still show up in the UI so...

That's a bug in the editor. Which one are you using?

On 8/4/2020 at 3:26 PM, Gez said:

That's a bug in the editor. Which one are you using?

Not a bug, just not a good configuration file. It doesn't help that most UDMF-capable editors are tailored towards GZDoom and kinda forget about EE also supporting UDMF formats.