Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom guy66

What do you guy's think about not getting 100% kills and secrets?

What do you guy's think about not getting 100% kills and secrets? I think it fine if you get most of the kills and secrets this goes for any fps but, I think that if you don't try to find some secrets and get some kills it takes out the fun.

There was a recent thread on this named  “Is 100% kills important?” :-P

The general consensus was play whichever way is the most fun for you :-D

I’m personally a bit of completionest and like to max everything :-P

2 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

There was a recent thread on this named  “Is 100% kills important?” :-P

The general consensus was play whichever way is the most fun for you :-D

I’m personally a bit of completionest and like to max everything :-P

I try to get 100% but if i can't i try to get as much as a can because if i can't find certain secrets i don't like to take forever trying to find them

Hehehehe same :-P

On my first play through of a WAD I’m not too worried about getting 100% secrets (might spend 5-10 mins running around at the end of each level looking for the ones I missed) :-P

After that I’ll watch a play through or take a peak in a level editor to find the secrets before jumping straight back on in and going for a UV-max run :-D

Just now, DooM Bear said:

Hehehehe same :-P

On my first play through of a WAD I’m not too worried about getting 100% secrets (might spend 5-10 mins running around at the end of each level looking for the ones I missed) :-P

After that I’ll watch a play through or take a peak in a level editor to find the secrets before jumping straight back on in and going for a UV-max run :-D

i don't really use walkthroughs anymore and never really looked for them in a level editor because I like to try to maybe find them in the next playthrough

29 minutes ago, doom guy66 said:

What do you guy's think about not getting 100% kills and secrets? I think it fine if you get most of the kills and secrets this goes for any fps but, I think that if you don't try to find some secrets and get some kills it takes out the fun.

This particular thread is only a few weeks old, did you try to search this first?

Just now, Redneckerz said:

This particular thread is only a few weeks old, did you try to search this first?

No I just made a post about this because i didn't wanna know if it was important but what people thought about and if they always have to do 100% kills and secrets or they just make it there goal to get to the exit

I used to care, but some maps out there make it particularly un-fun to get 100% of everything. Besides, sometimes it's far more satisfying to use a shortcut route through a map to evade some particularly nasty places.

Insert other media

1 hour ago, doom guy66 said:

No I just made a post about this because i didn't wanna know if it was important but what people thought about and if they always have to do 100% kills and secrets or they just make it there goal to get to the exit

Then you could have used that thread for that since its practically the same topic. :) Its (AFAIK) okay to bump a two-three week old thread for that.

I try my best to be the ULTIMATE DEMON-KILLING MACHINE and try to make sure nobody is left alive. As for secrets? Well, I try to find them at times, but I tend to get on all right without them. That being said though, I do hope to improve my ability to find them. My friends @Phobus and @DuckReconMajor have a real keen sense for 'em and I'd like to be able to be at least half as good as they are at finding 'em heh.

I tend to care about kills, but if that involves hunting every last one of them or going through obnoxious areas or battles, no thanks.

And I couldn't care less for secrets, I care so very little about them I'm glad modern games pretty much killed them off, give or take a few easter eggs in places maybe.

Edited by seed

I don't think people actually care about getting 100% kills and secrets or not. Because it's not important, unless you're planning to do a speedrun on UV-Max category which requires you to kill every enemy (except lost souls) and get all the secrets

1 hour ago, seed said:

I tend to care about kills, but if that involves hunting every last one of them or going through obnoxious areas or battles, no thanks.

And I couldn't care less for secrets, I care so very little about them I'm glad modern games pretty much killed them off, give or take a few easter eggs in places maybe.

Pretty much this 100%...

I like killing stuff :D so I'll always try to get 100% kills unless it's just ridiculous to do so.
Secrets, yeeeeeeeah if I find them, cool, but I don't tend to go looking for them intentionally.

If I could sneak past every demon and exit with 0% kills I would.

The secret-hunting that Biodegradable mentions is just desperation when I have 12% health left.

I have level totals disabled from appearing on the automap/hud, so I don't really think about getting 100% most of the time.

It's the same thread...

For blind playthrough, I just go for whatever. If I found a trick to skip the map, it depends on my mood whether I do it or not. Usually I try to kill as much as possible to see whether the resource placements are good, but I don't push myself to max it.

For maps that I want to max... well, I have to 100% I guess.

Depending of what I'm playing, I usually go for the exit killing those monsters at sight, but if I really like the map /episode I make the effort of going for the 100%, more probably for small maps or with a monster count below 200.

I enjoy getting 100% secrets because I don't feel like I've really "completed" a map without it. Impossible-to-get secrets are a nuisance, but fortunately modern source ports give the ability to see all the secrets on the automap so you can at least identify them.

100% kills I see as more of a nicety; I won't spend 20 minutes searching for a stray Imp or hunt through monster closets for that one Lost Soul that refuses to cross the teleport tripwire, but if I can see and (reasonably) dispatch all the enemies in an area, I'll do it vs. leaving stray monsters around.

I will nearly always go for 100% kills, it's rare that I finish a map without doing that.

The only time I don't go for it is if those kills are well hidden in some secret area. This is because I'm not particularly fussed about getting 100% secrets. I'll keep an eye out for them, but I'm not about to hug every wall trying to find the last secret. I generally only get 100% secrets on very tough maps where every item and pickup is needed, even then it's out of necessity and still usually around 70-80% of them. Not 100%.

The IWAD's are a different matter though, but everyone has done that at least once.

I usually go for full kills and secrets, and often items as well. I get satisfaction from fully clearing a level. If a level looks to be too much of a pain in the ass to do that on, which is rarely, that's different and I might just run for the exit.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Then you could have used that thread for that since its practically the same topic. :) Its (AFAIK) okay to bump a two-three week old thread for that.

Thanks for letting me know :)

a lot of topics asking this recently! Must be popular. 

I tend to aim for 100% kills unless the map is kicking my arse or it's incredibly long. Any turreted Cyberdemon is serious temptation for a skipping, though. Especially if they're not in my way or can be worked around.

Secrets are something I like to look for, but don't feel too bad about not getting all of. Some mappers hide these tiny little switches in the least expected of places, and there's only so much to gain by hunting them out - especially when it's a single map and you're already most of the way through beating it. I suspect years of mapping has at least attuned me to the most common ways to hide a secret!