Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

[Boom] Grungy Grotto

Looks great! I'll give it a try when I get a chance

Edit: I'm getting an error message when trying to run your wad in Pr-Boom+

I get the following error message: P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from SLIME05 to SLIME08
I suspect this may have something to do with the ANIMATED lump in your wad. I tried to investigate with Slade, but opening your wad consistently crashes Slade for some reason.

Edited by phoo : Issues with running the wad

I would like to know before I give the map a spin whether it's going to be included in the actual community project or is this just a map you made using the project resources for personal use? Because if it's part of the project then I prefer to wait for the actual release.

9 minutes ago, Uni said:

I would like to know before I give the map a spin whether it's going to be included in the actual community project or is this just a map you made using the project resources for personal use? Because if it's part of the project then I prefer to wait for the actual release.

Its for the community project. Map16, I believe

1 hour ago, phoo said:

Looks great! I'll give it a try when I get a chance

Edit: I'm getting an error message when trying to run your wad in Pr-Boom+

I get the following error message: P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from SLIME05 to SLIME08
I suspect this may have something to do with the ANIMATED lump in your wad. I tried to investigate with Slade, but opening your wad consistently crashes Slade for some reason.

hm. That's odd. Try downloading again, I just downloaded it and it appears to run just fine with prboom+. I don't get any error message, same with slade, it opens up just fine.

17 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

hm. That's odd. Try downloading again, I just downloaded it and it appears to run just fine with prboom+. I don't get any error message, same with slade, it opens up just fine.

I downloaded your wad again and unfortunately, I'm still getting the same result. I looked over the cfg file for Pr-Boom+ to check if maybe another wad or file was conflicting with it and I have nothing else loaded. I tried opening the wad again in Slade. Attempting to view the DBIGFONT lump is what is causing Slade to crash, I have no issues with viewing the other lumps.

5 minutes ago, phoo said:

I downloaded your wad again and unfortunately, I'm still getting the same result. I looked over the cfg file for Pr-Boom+ to check if maybe another wad or file was conflicting with it and I have nothing else loaded. I tried opening the wad again in Slade. Attempting to view the DBIGFONT lump is what is causing Slade to crash, I have no issues with viewing the other lumps.

Very odd, I'm having no such issues, but I did find "Slime05" alone in the resources. I deleted this and updated the file, not sure this will help, but the fact that its in the resources may have messed with its placement in Doom2.wad and messed up the intended order for the animation, not sure, as I did nothing else to modify the resources from dimension of the boomed.

3 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Very odd, I'm having no such issues, but I did find "Slime05" alone in the resources. I deleted this and updated the file, not sure this will help, but the fact that its in the resources may have messed with its placement in Doom2.wad and messed up the intended order for the animation, not sure, as I did nothing else to modify the resources from dimension of the boomed.

Looks like that did the trick, thanks! :)

I just finished playing it on UV. The map is well designed, challenging, and fun to play. There's also a lot of great little details that really contribute to the map's aesthetic and atmosphere. Of these, I especially liked the angled shadows, torches made of mid textures, and the crackling fire sound of the torches. I didn't think that having sounds like that in Boom was possible, I'd love to know how that was done. 

As a side note: I did however notice that some textures, flats, and switches weren't animated. I imagine this might be related to the recent change you made when updating the file. 

3 minutes ago, phoo said:

I just finished playing it on UV. The map is well designed, challenging, and fun to play. There's also a lot of great little details that really contribute to the map's aesthetic and atmosphere. Of these, I especially liked the angled shadows, torches made of mid textures, and the crackling fire sound of the torches. I didn't think that having sounds like that in Boom was possible, I'd love to know how that was done. 

As a side note: I did however notice that some textures, flats, and switches weren't animated. I imagine this might be related to the recent change you made when updating the file. 

this is very odd, are you certain you aren't running smooth doom, or something that might affect the animated lump? This is driving me insane because I'm not having the issues so I'm not sure if they're specific to you, or to me. Because the slime05 to 08 is not even defined in the animated lump, really strange stuff.

Just now, Egg Boy said:

this is very odd, are you certain you aren't running smooth doom, or something that might affect the animated lump? This is driving me insane because I'm not having the issues so I'm not sure if they're specific to you, or to me. Because the slime05 to 08 is not even defined in the animated lump, really strange stuff.

Yeah, it is really odd. I'm running your wad in Pr-Boom+ 2.5.1.4 with no other mods or files. I wish I knew more as to why this is happening. I think it would be useful to have someone else download and play your wad in Pr-Boom+ as well to see if they experience anything similar.