Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D4NUK1

In secret levels, what style of level do you like better?

What style do you like more.  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What style do you like more.

• Same as theme of the IWAD.
    • In-joke or Easter Egg.
    • Exotic and just Different from the IWAD theme.
    • A Hardcore Challenge.

So, let me explain now that you got atention with the tittle.

In all IWAD. I see the secrets levels are used diferent across all games.

Ultimate Doom it's likely to show you a action packed map, not to hard, no to easy, and without many maze or keyhunt actions. And thoses levels are mostly like the same style of enemies, textures and progresion style of the same IWAD episode.

Doom II uses it to show a Easter Egg, a in-joke map that it's clearly to be easy and funny, show some trivia stuff, and mostly a great way to devs to show how can be done some injoke levels.

TNT it's more like a Exotics levels, where it's show a clearly distiction in ambient and style of the IWAD, like you are in the desert in thoses levels, instead of Hell or a Space Ship.

Plutionia it's the hardcore one, mostly for challenger the players that found the secret levels, and it's ever more tricky because thoses secret levels don't have a exit to the main game after level 31, instead you do all the two secrets levels like a DoomGuy, and it's mostly maps that are hard with Tramps, Slaugthers or just plain " Im gonna make you suffer for 10 minutes"

And this styles of Secret Levels is showed on famous PWADS. But as a question for you, what you do like the most? Or what it's one of the most memorables for you? 

I like when Doom secret levels do either "In-joke or Easter Eggs" levels or "Exotic and just Different from the IWAD theme" levels.  Doom 2's Wolf3d levels and guest enemies were cool. 

Requiem even had a secret level where you played Door to Cthon from Quake. 

All four of these options are potentially great. I ended up voting for "Exotic and just Different from the IWAD theme", but I guess the best outcome would be a "hardcore challenge" that is also "exotic and just different from the wad's theme".

I voted for exotic and just different, but in-joke or Easter egg is a close second. The only thing I don't prefer to see is same basic thing as the rest of the maps (e.g. E1M9, although I do like that level), but even that can be good if it deviates significantly in one aspect, such as length or difficulty.

In short, I think secret maps are a great opportunity to break cohesion, do high(er)ly gimmicky stuff, and get away with it.

I'm fine with pretty much all of the options really, but I prefer either something different and exotic or a true challenge when it comes to secret levels.

The most boring possibility would be to get a level that's about the same as every other level in the wad. Not that I would mind it too much, but it would feel like a bit of a let-down considering the (assumed) hard work it took to find it.

i love the idea of gimmicy levels, it takes what you don't expect in any level of the wad and throw at you!

cutting all sense and reality, just pure and crazy gameplay & design!

be visualy, level design a crazy idea! or all! i love this stuff! ^.=.^

Exotic and in-joke/Easter egg secret levels are what I prefer.  Either way, it makes it feel special, like a reward for finding the secret level.  Doom II and Doom 2016 both made excellent use of the concept, in my opinion.  Especially in Doom 2016, I'm not usually a completionist, but damn the secret levels were fun enough that it really encouraged me to go through and try to find them all.

Exotic, followed by hardcore. Spending 15 minutes dryhumping walls until you find the secret exit just doesn't feel rewarding if the secret maps are exactly the same as the rest of the mapset, and easter egg levels tend to sacrifice gameplay for the joke / reference.

I guess those levels that are innovative and show some kind of fun challenge or mechanics (For example, a secret level with some parkour and moving platforms, while the rest of the WAD is more "stealthy" or exploration stuff) fall on the Exotic category, so yeah I am going for that because I am unique and different

They're all good potentially. It is legitimately hard for me to pick one as I like all of them, except for "same theme as the IWAD/WAD". That defeats the purpose of a secret level in my opinion.

But if I have to vote for just one, then I'll go with Exotic.

Exotic definitely, and also one other type that's missing from the list, the secret levels that give you good stuff earlier than usual. Quake 2's first secret map is a good example, with the mission being simply "Locate a powerful weapon (The SSG)", the second secret level of Q2 is also noteworthy, as instead of a normal level, it's more of a bonus room where you have 30 seconds to grab as much goodies as you can carry. 

5 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Exotic definitely, and also one other type that's missing from the list, the secret levels that give you good stuff earlier than usual. Quake 2's first secret map is a good example, with the mission being simply "Locate a powerful weapon (The SSG)", the second secret level of Q2 is also noteworthy, as instead of a normal level, it's more of a bonus room where you have 30 seconds to grab as much goodies as you can carry. 

Yeah, but you don't see to much of that style in Doom Wads. The mostly i can trink at the moment is Wolfestein MAP 33 in Extermination Day, where you can find the MG42 and MP40 as Weapons, and it's a notorius upgrade.

My favorite secret level of all time is Solar Powered (MAP31) in NOVA III. It has almost no monsters but it's incredible to just wander around, explore, and try to solve the puzzles.

It really depends. I like most kinds of secret levels as long as they deviate from the rest in some way. The type where you would say "what happens in MAP32 stays in MAP32" are fitting for infamous megawads like Plutonia/Sunlust, but as long as they are worth my time I'm happy ;).

Honestly, I do like secret levels that's like "okay bub, you just slaughtered thousands of hell spawns in some dark, creepy castle themed maps... now have a candyfloss world with sunshine and rainbows all day".

3rd options sounds like the most intriguing one, but I suck at finding secrets anyways so it's not like I'm gonna notice it if I somehow end up in a secret level by accident Haha.

Definitely prefer easter egg or exotic. I loved the TNT secret levels.

When I play a new megawad, I am always curious what the secret levels will be, and when they are bland filler levels I am a bit dissapointed.

I prefer easter eggs. My favorite levels in DOOM 2 are Wolfenstein and Grosse. It's great when a megawad makes reference to another game/WAD. 

The only exception where the first option is acceptable in my eyes is if it's a mandotory level.

Exotic and weird all the way otherwise!

I always appreciate it whenever mapper uses a secret to try something new and creative, it just makes it feel all the more rewarding for actually finding the level.

A mix of the last three options is my favourite :-)

Like it to be Exotic and different to the rest of the WAD with a big spike in difficulty :-) It’s also a plus if it has a gimmick / Easter egg etc but that is less important :-)

Exotic or hardcore. I don't mind more of the same really if I'm already enjoying the maps but something unexpected or crazier is nicer.

I honestly can't decide, it should be a bit of everything, imo. Although I would exclude the 'joke' part, sure it can be subjective, but I wouldn't want to run into a Terry-Trap or something in a serious WAD.