Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Notes from Doom Eternal Panel

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/703168322?t=07h58m49s

Super Gore Nest Master Level

* Coming next (no mention of Exultia Master Level)

Custom Challenges (for Master Levels)

* Classic Mode - Start off with a Shotgun with other guns spread throughout the world
* Ultra-Nightmare - Defeat without dying (corrected from Ultra-Violence)
* One-Up Mode - Same as Extra Lives

* Challenges come with a cosmetic reward - if all are completed, unlocks a final reward

Battlemode Competitive Mode

* Streak system based on performance boards

* Ranking system
* Cosmetic rewards (seasonal)
* Comes out as soon as possible (no date yet, there was a meeting today)

Invasions

* Resources shifted away

* "Slow-roll" into next year

* Still in development

---

Questions and Answers

Crucible-like weapons
* Made from different energy sources, come from different places

* Argent Energy = Hell energy + Sentinel Energy (the latter from Wraith Energy)
* Blue-ish/green = part of pure Wraith energy
* Red = Argent (mixed or pure red is Hell energy)

* In the DLCs (and future) - dive into greater detail about energies

Doom 2016 and Eternal time gap

* To be covered but the delivery is TBD
* Problem with making this a DLC: weapon logistics (can't give the Slayer weapons from Eternal's time period: why does he have Ballista, etc.)
* Possible delivery methods: Codex, comic books, or illustrated for Slayer's Club - they are constrained by video game development and conservative about presenting story in game
* Eternal started the way it did because they needed things to happen immediately

* Maybe you'll meet Hayden in the DLCs

Demon leaders

* We'll see who is the leader of Hell (you've heard his voice - the story started in 2016)

* Many leaders of Hell (hierarchy and history that is deep) - but you'll meet the person that has been hinted since 2016

---

I had to leave early so I'm might be missing things. Please post if there's anything interesting discussed after.

Edited by AtimZarr1 : Added actual source and improved wording/grammar

Spoiler

I can't wait til Samuel Hayden shows himself to be like Lucifer (which he is) and takes over Hell from the Dark Lord.

All this sounds absolutely fantastic so far, I really like the idea of challenges on master levels (and new master levels)... more content, more content, more content. Drown me in it. Just beat me to death with new Eternal content.

They spent more time complaining about how Thanos destroyed Cap's shield than they did discussing any kind of concrete release frame.

Guess that trailer for a trailer that comes out in three weeks is the only thing of substance we're getting this weekend.

6 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Demon leaders

* We'll see who is the leader of Hell (you've heard his voice - story started in 2016)

* Many leaders of Hell (hierarchy and history that is deep) - but you'll meet the person that has been hinted since 2016

I always considered the hateful voice in the beginning of Doom 2016 being a demon like being, a fallen angel or something like that. But id Software said it's the same opening voice as in the beginning of Eternal, which is King Novik.

I'm surprised they are going to introduce the Dark Lord already in the DLCs, I expected it to be introduced in "Doom 2016 3" as main antagonist, supported by Samuel Hayden. 

4 minutes ago, igg said:

I always considered the hateful voice in the beginning of Doom 2016 being a demon like being, a fallen angel or something like that. But id Software said it's the same opening voice as in the beginning of Eternal, which is King Novik.

I'm surprised they are going to introduce the Dark Lord already in the DLCs, I expected it to be introduced in "Doom 2016 3" as main antagonist, supported by Samuel Hayden. 

The voice they were referring to is from the Lazarus Labs near the lab with the Helix Stone where hologram of Olivia is explaining herself to the dark, deep voice that is angry that they found the location of the Slayer. :) 

35 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

The voice they were referring to is from the Lazarus Labs near the lab with the Helix Stone where hologram of Olivia is explaining herself to the dark, deep voice that is angry that they found the location of the Slayer. :) 

Is it the same voice that says "He is here" in Kadingir Sanctum?

As far as a prequel.  They could just give him the Doom 2016 weapons?  Not sure why that hasn't been thought off unless it is impossible to transfer 2016 models into the Eternal engine.  But that didn't stop them with the praetor suit.

S. Hayden always sounded like an anagram for Satan, so i won't be surprised if something about that were to happen.

The shotgun start mode is a good idea.

I remember hearing that the comic book may be a thing in the game like codex entries and that's probably a good idea.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

S. Hayden always sounded like an anagram for Satan,

That’s not what an anagram is... but word play, yes

S.Haiden, Shaitan, Satan 

note you don’t have to go all the way to Satan to make it work. Shaitans are evil spirits of which there are many in Islamic mythology (same as “demons” in Christian mythology).

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

S. Hayden always sounded like an anagram for Satan, so i won't be surprised if something about that were to happen.

Spoiler

The big thing in 2016 was that his name "Doctor Samuel Hayden", each word is six letters. So, 666. He's also Samur Makyr, the one who stole the father from Urdak, damning his people.

I think he's basically... Lucifer, the fallen angel. Because Makyrs are angels, the helpers and saviors of men. BUT, who knows, maybe he sabotaged the makyrs to serve Hell himself? Maybe he masterminded their fall from grace? Who knows yet... he was, after all, like the right hand man of the Khan Makyr. Then he stole "God" and left his people to rot.

I think it was part of a bigger plan though. I think his goal is to use the doom slayer (who he created) to unseat the Dark Lord, and when there's a power vaccuum, he'll take the throne of Hell, becoming, literally, the devil. It seems like a very plausible outcome.

I think that may have been their initial plan but I really think they changed course somewhere between DOOM and Eternal. The Khan Maykr also exhibits a lot of parallels to Satan, being effectively a corrupted angel herself who actually falls accompanied by a bolt of lightning upon her defeat (Luke 10:18 “And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.”) There’s a lot of Paradise Lost allusions going on as well.

So based on information that we have, the roadmap seems to be:

Very Soon:  Series 5

Super Gores Nest Master Level and challenges

Pretty Soon:  Series 6

Ranked Battlemode and challenges

DLC #1

Still Soon:  Future series

DLC #1 if it isn't during series 6

New Demon and perhaps new map(s)

More master levels (HoE and Exultia are likely next)

Coming Later:  Next Year

DLC #2

New Demon and perhaps more maps

Invasion mode

Additional Master levels

Whether we get a DLC3 remains to be seen.  What I want most is a Coop PvE mode based in MP maps or new arena's.

Something i realized about the master levels is that they sort of justify the combat system and how enemies behave compared to classic Doom.

Because it means maps can support certain types of enemies and enemies themselves can fit in more "universal" combat areas.

In classic Doom, enemies are more "married" to the level design: this means they can be very unique and specific for their roles.

But besides the Mastermind/Hellknights difficulty swap in map 6/The Crusher and the rare D2 enemies in PS1 Doom's D1 maps, the "master level" treatment wouldn't really work in classic Doom.

I mean, you'd probably just add a few more zombiemen and imps to some rooms/corridors and only like one Mancubi or Arachnotron to some area. (and like, add more backpacks and soulspherese to compensate)

On 8/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, Faceman2000 said:

The Khan Maykr also exhibits a lot of parallels to Satan, being effectively a corrupted angel herself who actually falls accompanied by a bolt of lightning upon her defeat (Luke 10:18 “And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.”) There’s a lot of Paradise Lost allusions going on as well.

Yeahhh, but in a lot of ways I think the goal was to explain Earth religions as based on Sentinel religion. Makyrs are angels, demons are demons, and it didn't really account for the potential of the makyrs turning against man- the Sentinels saw makyrs as like... gods. They helped them, gave them ridiculous technologies and abilities far beyond their comprehension, and so for all intents and purposes, they are angels, and the father is like God.

The gist being, all angels are now fallen- what was once good is now completely corrupted, and God has forsaken them to extinction, in a sense. Does that mean Hayden is good? Nobody knows. But he does display some really evil traits, maybe a lesser evil to Hell, but he's still no saint. He manipulates people, and is always three steps ahead in his own favor. So in a way, you could argue that IF Hayden did become like the devil, he'd probably be a lesser evil than the current hierarchy of Hell.

And maybe that would bring balance to the universe, you know. *shrugs* I'm just looking at it from the perspective we've been shown so far. Essentially what I've seen is that there is no true "good", even the angels themselves became corrupted and dependent on Hell, so the only answer is what Hayden has planned. And presumably, even if Hayden was a man before he entered his current robotic form, his consciousness seems to have fused with Samur Makyr (the seraphim). Is Samur Makyr evil? I'm thinking yes, a bit. He has selfish intents. And to run the UAC, Hayden was probably evil as well. So you've basically got two evil people combined into one shaping the future of the universe, anything is possible, lol.

On 8/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, whatup876 said:

the "master level" treatment wouldn't really work in classic Doom.

There's a secret Entryway Master Level though:

Spoiler

68YV2FQ.png