Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

"DOOM SUCKS!" ....Said my friends.

I couldn't decide whether to put this in Religions and Politics or in General Doom section, but since this deals with mostly Doom, I stuck it here:

My friends and other idiot people in my classes always bitch and moan about how they think doom sucks. They say "Doom sucks ass. I can shit better games than that!" or other stupid annoying shit like "Why don't you play something new for once." and here's my favorite quote "The graphics sucks. It's so old!" Well what do you fucking expect?!?! The damn game was first released in '93 (right?)! They just haven't seen Doom at its fullest. I would show 'em Jdoom or ZdoomGL, but on account that my computer is an absolute piece of shit, it won't work...

What do you people do when idiots say Doom sucks? This also brings up another question: How much has Doom affected the gaming industry, and if Doom was never made, do you think most of the FPS games out today would exist if Doom never existed?

well, there are two responses #1 is for people who just butt in when they over hear you mention doom, #2 is for people who you are in fact talking to, and just feel like annoying:

Dolt1: Doom Sucks!
Me: Funny, I don’t remember asking what you thought.

Dolt2: Doom Sucks!
Me: Compared to what? Counter Stirke? MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But I really don't discuss doom much out side these forums, I'm too busy playing it. And most of my friends like it anyways (though no where near as much as I do.)

A lot of my friends have said that and I told them that Doom can always be changed to look better unlike games like Duke 3d.

I give 'em the good ole' "Canned argument"
That or just ignore them because they don't know what they're talking about.

I'm the only person in my town that plays or likes doom, everyone else says "Hey, James, Doom sucks" " Hey, Doom eats ass" "Doom blows its so old" "You still play Doom? Holy crap get with the times Counter-Strike is where its at" "Doom? hah, Diablo II is better." "Doom Sucks Halo's better" " Metriod Owns Doom! Doom Sucks!" "James, you're gay, and so is doom." "doom sucks, Warcraft III is better and is way better than doom ever was or ever will be." "Dooms too old, give up, it sucks and so do you for playing it" "bah, poor old james and his old doom, doesnt know any better, doesnt know whats cool." ...And so on...

One friend even made a flash movie that had text and a voice recording that said...[Flashing banner]James... Doom...Sucks Sucks Sucks.[/flashing banner]

Meh.

Well lizardcommando,point them in the direction of these wads:
Darken2,Dark7:mission pack,Darkest Hour,Slaughter DM,Project Slipgate and some of your creations.That will change their minds in a minute!

Ick... wow, that's really bad DOOM Anomaly. Even my friends don't go that far.... oh wait, they do. My god, sometimes I don't even know how I'm still with my old friends... Er, anyways... So what if Halo's better than Doom or Metroid or all of the new-fangled games, I don't give a damn! Yeah, so they have better graphics, big fucking deal! I play doom because it has that old-school charm just like the other countless old school games like Mario, Tetris, Asteroids, Galaxian , _______ (Place in another old-school game), etc. Plus, editing is a breeze compared to the other newer games that have map/graphics editors (Half-Life's WorldCraft comes in mind for me...)

Doom's the only game I can think of that you can:

* VERY easily edit levels for. And easily make cool, scripted conversions like Massmouth or Batman Doom.
* Find TONS of levels to play and download them on the same day (Wow what a concept).
* Get the effect of any "better" game through ports (3D floors, slopes, 3D models, bots, high resolution, capture the flag, etc).
* On the spur of the moment, start up a quick DM server and not have to wait for five years while you download someone's skin. They're all a few KB! All the file types are small!
* Find a great community like this! =)
* Use the keys I want. I have shoot, strafe, and open doors. I don't have to use alternate shoot, zoom in, zoom out, change view type, other alternate shoot, crouch, crawl, duck, headtilt, scratch ass, backflip, or any other useless key bindings that make you say "Damn, what key do I need now?"

mustafa saed said:

Well lizardcommando,point them in the direction of these wads:
Darken2,Dark7:mission pack,Darkest Hour,Slaughter DM,Project Slipgate and some of your creations.That will change their minds in a minute!

hehe... I wish I could but they wouldn't even bother since they're used to all of the new-age stuff. Plus, they're mostly into GameCube games. Some of my other friends like PS2 but all of my friends oppose XBox for some reason... I personally don't think it's a bad system. It has some flaws, but I easily looked over them when I played Halo. I hope Doom3 goes on the XBox, but if it does, it'll probably be a dulled down version of the PC version.

Before I go more offtopic, I'd like to say that I wish I could find a significant other that likes Doom like me at my school. Unforunatley, 98% of the girls at my school chose become conformists by becoming brainwashed by MTV and all the other heartless money-grubbing Fat Cats!!! >:( Bastards! Turning perfectly nice people into traitorous conformists!!! Ooops! I just went offtopic again.:p

Oh I have tried this several times:

Me: "Well, I'm into Doom."

Other guy: "Hmm, isn't that a tad old? Do you have an older computer?"

Me: "No, I just love that game, even if it might be a bit old."

Other guy: "Why in the hell aren't you playing Wolfenstein then?"

...At this point the other guy calls me a hypocrite and begins to rant a lot about Catacombs 3d.

You really have to look them square in the eyes and tell them that Doom has a depth and purity that very few games can even approach and if they don't realise this fact then they really haven't played the game without bias & prejudice. And we all know what a bad thing prejudice is. It's a classic in the way that chess or poker or monopoly (find your own examples here) are. Yes it might not look as 'good' as the latest blah blah blah but just like you can have the same fun playing a game with a tatty pack of cards compared with a brand new one Doom has a depth of gameplay that more than makes up for it's age and graphics.

Without Doom, the current FPS game scene would be completely different.
One of the few games that is widely respected in the gaming industry.
It the only game that is more than 7 years old that has a large following.
Doom was a featured game at Quakecon and Mindtrek.. alongside games like UT2003 and CS... even big games made last year aren't.
Doom practically invented deathmatch mode.
etc..

Opulent said:

Without Doom, the current FPS game scene would be completely different.
One of the few games that is widely respected in the gaming industry.
It the only game that is more than 7 years old that has a large following.
Doom was a featured game at Quakecon and Mindtrek.. alongside games like UT2003 and CS... even big games made last year aren't.
Doom practically invented deathmatch mode.
etc..

I said something similar to that to my friends but all they said are "Stop lying, you stupid fuck!" Also, they're saying how lame and retarded Doom3 will be and they think it'll be the same as Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. I asked if they'd even seen screenshots, but all they said was "So? Doom sucked then, Doom sucks now, and Doom will always suck, so screw you and your doom shit!"

Most people at my school don't know what DooM is. Seriously. Example:
My away message on AIM: Playing DooM right now, I'll be back later.
Moron: k but wats doom?
Moron: helo?
This next guy knows what DooM is. Err...kinda:
dude: So what were you doing?
Me: Playing DooM
dude: Huh? Where did you get it?
Me: I bought it?
dude: But you said it wasn't out yet! I hate it when you do that!

It took me 2 days to figure out what he was talking about.

Lizardcommando said:

I said something similar to that to my friends but all they said are "Stop lying, you stupid fuck!" Also, they're saying how lame and retarded Doom3 will be and they think it'll be the same as Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. I asked if they'd even seen screenshots, but all they said was "So? Doom sucked then, Doom sucks now, and Doom will always suck, so screw you and your doom shit!"

Lizardcommando....No disrespect to your friends,but,for them to make that statement "lame,retarted doom3? I would rip their pea sized balls and shove 'em down their mouth for making that statement.

"Doom sucks, counterstrike is way better"

Put legacy on the computers and i played him...

"Doom has awesome gameplay, but the graphics suck, which is why i still hate it"

RETARD

Hehehe... it's ok, that was a funny comment. :D. I'm not so suprised of them to say that anyways. They're a bunch of ignorant idiots, plus they're mostly into console gaming anyways. They're GameCube and PS2 supporters but they don't like Xbox for some reason... :/

deathz0r said:

"Doom sucks, counterstrike is way better"

Put legacy on the computers and i played him...

"Doom has awesome gameplay, but the graphics suck, which is why i still hate it"

RETARD

Last year in my Computer Science class I put Legacy on a bunch of the computers and we'd get 7-8 people DMing. That's also when I figured I should learn to use the mouse. All the people who've never played Doom before (...should die!) but were really good at other FPS games were a little better than me. Still, keyboarder, hardly ever DM before, I was still 2nd or 3rd at least. They called me "hardcore." =P

They moved on when they realized they could put UT on the computers. Ah well.

LizardC.: I don't think even WE are ready for Doom3. ;)
it will blow you away... perhaps some of your friends don't deserve a game so 1337. :)

Littlr Faith: Next time someone says that to you say "I do play Wolfenstein, you got a problem with that?"

He had a problem with the fact that I didn't play Wolfenstein.

Since I played an older game he thought I was a retrogamer. And since Doom wasn't the first first person shooter in existence I was hypocritical retrogamer who didn't seek back to the roots (he mentioned games such as Catacombs and Hovertank) instead only going back to the first "pop phenomenon".

I was talking to a guy in my history class, I told him that the reason I didn't shave my head that weekend was because I was busy playing doom too much. He said "What's doom?" I said "Oh, just the best game ever!" and he said "Better than GTA3?" and I'm like "Way" and he was like "Hmm, I may have to check it out"...If people say doom sucks I just drag them out to the curb for a quick check up with "Mr. Boot"

Nanami said:

* Use the keys I want. I have shoot, strafe, and open doors. I don't have to use alternate shoot, zoom in, zoom out, change view type, other alternate shoot, crouch, crawl, duck, headtilt, scratch ass, backflip, or any other useless key bindings that make you say "Damn, what key do I need now?"

ROFL. thats one of the reasons I love doom so much. you don't tie your fingers in knots trying to play it. I haven't come across anyone who vehemently hates doom, but I have had people ask me why I don't play rtcw(which I have and liked), half-life/counterstrike (which I have and didn't like) or any of the other newer fps games out there. I just tell them that doom is my thing and they accept it.

A man with a Doom shirt (me) is feared and respected by mortal men.\\

Yeah, right.

I am one of few gamers at my school who play on computers (most kids play on consoles). Right now, everyone I know is playing GTA:VC.

As I have mentioned (sic boasted) before, I wear my Doom shirt to school occasionally, usually under an Exco hoodie ora grey hawiian shirt, depending on the season. A few example school encounters:

first example
Me
VS.
Grade 10 goth kid with GWAR touque and Slayer & Cradle of Filth hoodies

kid: sup man?
me: sup.
kid: Shit, man. Doom, that's pretty hardcore
me: yeah
kid: fuck I used to play that game all the time backinthaday.
me: uh...yeah.
kid: ...
(walks away)

Encounter 2:
me
VS.
Counterstrike n00bs in computer classes

me: WTF? you guys know Perl?
kid1(looking my way): Woah, dude this guy's got a Doom shirt!
kid2: Doom, that game's so old
kid1: yeah, but check out these pics of Doom3 in CGM!
me: Yeah, Doom3 might be good, but you still can't beet the original.
kid2: Yeah, but the graphics sucked
me: Well, it was good for it's time. Still is
kid1: You still play it? Holy shit, what machine you running?
me: Compaq 586
(kids blink)
me: yeah, but shit, you should see some of the source ports out there...

I found out that most people who tend to say that DooM sucks because it's retro and stuff, can be... altered. Just give 'em a link to a source port and even a link to a full IWAD can be found.

I think I've changed at least four people's opinions about DooM :D

It isn't retro really, since people still develop it and play it regularly. It's just that it doesn't fit well into the commercial mass-market. I don't deal with people that regularly play games in "real life" so no one tells me anything, although I'm sure I could defend myself well enough if I did. After all, even on these boards I sometimes get the "uh, WTF, you're still using the original EXEs?" bullshit.

myk said:

It isn't retro really, since people still develop it and play it regularly. It's just that it doesn't fit well into the commercial mass-market. I don't deal with people that regularly play games in "real life" so no one tells me anything, although I'm sure I could defend myself well enough if I did. After all, even on these boards I sometimes get the "uh, WTF, you're still using the original EXEs?" bullshit.

Uh... you do...? heh (jk:P) I know DooM is far from retro, but all the people I spoke about it thought so. What I actually ment to say, is that after a coop/dm game online with them their opinion about the game and about the fact that I play it changed. If I remember correctly, the first one was in zone-LAN, with good ol' DM.EXE! Of course, that was before XP ... :S

My brother once told to his classmates that he plays Doom and they started asking all those stupid questions every day after that. To stop that he had to say that he doesn't play Doom anymore.

Man, I finished high school about five years ago. And back then my friends were asking why I still played such an old game (DOOM). Now I see those guys occasionally and they still ask if I play doom. To which I say yes. But personally I like the older games. Eg. My favourite games are: doom, super Mario cart, & street fighter II. So go figure. All new games have about a 2-month life for me (if they're really good) and then I never play them again.
New Games= High res graphics, good marketing strategy, average game play, short self-life.
Older games= Blotchy graphics, quality game play, longer shelf life, fun to play.

Y2theJ said:

Man, I finished high school about five years ago. And back then my friends were asking why I still played such an old game (DOOM). Now I see those guys occasionally and they still ask if I play doom. To which I say yes. But personally I like the older games. Eg. My favourite games are: doom, super Mario cart, & street fighter II. So go figure. All new games have about a 2-month life for me (if they're really good) and then I never play them again.
New Games= High res graphics, good marketing strategy, average game play, short self-life.
Older games= Blotchy graphics, quality game play, longer shelf life, fun to play.

Add to that New Games=£££or$$$ being removed from your pocket as almost the sole reason for their existance, you're being conned m8y. It's like music, you're buying the crap that makes up the top ten, if you wanna listen to stuff that has real soul & meaning you have to search deeper and just like great music is timeless, great games are timeless...and Doom is the 'Daddy' ma boy! It's just that you don't yet have the 'suss' to realize it.:P
Ah those are great games btw, Super Mario Kart & SF2.