Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danidf96

Do you ever take breaks from Doom?

Not really. But to be fair, I don't play videogames on a regular basis. I only play Doom for an hour or two after all day schedule to take a break from everything. I take breaks from wad to wad, but that last until I find another interesting one. I think the appeal to the game is that is a relatively simple game easy to pick and shoot. Now that in itself would burn your out or simply bore you after a week or so, but the quantity of different kinds of wads that are there makes a hard task to find redundance. Still, nothing relaxes me more than BFGs waves of imps, punching revenants and circlestrafing hell knights, so I'm okay with that.

Sort of, I've been in an indefinite break from Classic doom mods and IWADs. from the past 2 years or so I have been focused on developing  mods that are very different from classic doom's gameplay.

The last IWAD i played was plutonia 1 year ago but that was only to attempt (and fail) to finish Map11.

No, doom is my only life source, if i stop playing it, i die.

I always at least keep my nose in the community but I regularly have long gaps of inactivity in playing and mapping.

Last few years I haven't have a lot of time spare for it unfortunately. 

I actually want to take more breaks than I do. I'd like to take a month off here or there, but I sometimes get this weird combo of being burnt out and yet wanting to map more.

I do. I think last year and up to and including when Eternal came out I played more Doom than I've ever done.

Though I've actually took a bit of a rest from it during this pandemic madness recently.

It's good to have a rest. Absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say.

8 hours ago, Pirx said:

picked up black mesa

Heh, yeah, the whole 10 year+ Black Mesa saga right from back when it was a fan-made thing has probably been my biggest Doom break. It was all I played for a long time. I still play the pre-Steam version for preference as it's much more lightweight in terms of system reqs.

For sure. I take many breaks, but I end up going back to Doom one way or another.

All the time. Right now in fact I'm taking a break from it because I'm in the mood for other type of games. I know eventually I'll go back to it.

I've always been sort of impressed by people who can stick to a game for so long non stop without ever getting bored. It's something that I've never been able to do.

Yeah, i like to make different's things, and try to learn some thing before make my skills in doom go higher

I like to play a lot of different games, so I tend to take a break very often.

I'm burnt out with Doom Eternal right now... I've played the campaign way too much and battlemode doesn't appeal to me.

As for oldschool Doom? Yes, I do. Occasionally I just want to play something... different. I can't say I PREFER like... a military shooter or something over Doom, but I just enjoy a bit of variety.

Long-term, no.

Short-term, all the damn time. I'm on one right now. I shall elaborate.

Basically I picked up DOOM in late '99 when it was already unfashionable; not yet having my own computer, I'd use my then-girlfriend's to create WADs. I did wanna make Quake maps, but ended up with WadEd and it kinda spiralled from there until like about 2002/3-ish when I just burned out HARD with depression and did something else entirely for a while; namely college and university. I think I picked it all back up (but this time switching to DOOM Builder) about 2011/2-ish?

DOOM never really goes away. Or we don't, kinda like Hotel California: you can check out at any time, but you can never leave.

Shorter term though, yeah I have 'tides'. Only thing that has appealed to me of late has been The City of Damned Children, which is a very unique and excellent WAD. But when I get the 'urge' again, I have three previously-started projects waiting for me to complete. Or make like a map and get temporarily-burned-out again, who knows?

I come and go, but like a lot.

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

DOOM never really goes away. Or we don't, kinda like Hotel California: you can check out at any time, but you can never leave.

Shorter term though, yeah I have 'tides'. Only thing that has appealed to me of late has been The City of Damned Children, which is a very unique and excellent WAD.

Nice post and thanks for pointing me to that wad. 

Not really. While it does get a bit tiring overtime, i've never found myself getting burned out. I've yet to conquer Doom 2 on Ultra-Violence (currently in Refueling Base) and Doom never fails to entertain me. 

I get burnout from level designing, not from playing Doom. The worst burn out for me lasted many months. That being said, I've not had any long breaks in well over a year or more.

Long, long breaks of many years, often. There are a lot of good games out there besides Doom.

Yes, it can go anywhere from months to years, until I inevitably get an itch to mess around with mods, UDB and Slade a bit more.

I often have breaks. In fact, I've been slipping into one for the last couple of months, which will probably see me through until near the end of the year when I finally succumb. They always start with the general feeling that I don't feel like mapping, and then I start feeling like I don't like playing Doom any more. Finally, I get bored of monitoring the community and then that's it. Gone for an indeterminate amount of time.

huh, with other games, I can clearly tell when burnout sets in, but thats usually with multiplayer shooters like team fortress two, or minecraft when I get way too sick of my castles.
I find doom to be really comforting compared to other games, less of a job and more, "huh, had a bad day, go smack some demons around for a few hours"
I also find the single player aspect of it to be refreshing and always nice to come back to, games with people trying to grab your attention and hold a convo are, a bit too much.
so aside from sad periods where I have no effort to play, or periods when I get a new game? doom nights are the best nights!
//oh and it helps that I have all the ports on my switch so I can just curl up in bed and play until the sun rises!//

For me, each WAD provides a totally different experience, so no, not really. I look at DOOM as a totally different experience.

Let me relate it to music: I might get burned out listening to one band, but there are other bands out there that provide different experiences, so I never get burned out on music.

Same with DOOM. With each author being another band.

I'm thinking to take the longer one, but I want release couple of projects before that. I end up taking small breaks lasting few weeks, especially if studies or life events gets on my way. 

Right now I'm away from Doom, because I play Diablo. Also I'm more excited right now about riding my bike and kick scooter every day, than about continued sitting at the computer.

I play a bit of Doom Eternal every week and maybe some wads every now and then, but I'm effectively on a break. Maybe I'll come back in a few months or so.