Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danidf96

Do you ever take breaks from Doom?

I tend to pick up a wad or two casually then get in the habit of playing harder and harder content over a period of weeks until just looking at the exe starts to give me a mild headache, which I take as the sign that it's time to take a nice break. Then the cycle repeats.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:15 AM, Hellektronic said:

I'm burnt out with Doom Eternal right now... I've played the campaign way too much and battlemode doesn't appeal to me.

100% this. I couldn't give two squirts of goat's piss about Battlemode either but after a few runs of the campaign, at the pace Doom Eternal plays and the complexity of the "Doom dance" as id calls it, it did burn me out too. You can't really play it casually, it demands 100% of your attention and that can be draining after a while.

I do take little breaks for maybe a week or so after a big megawad playthrough of something like Hell Revealed II or Scythe for example but because I've been working on my own WAD in recent times I'm always playtesting almost a daily basis so Doom's kinda become part of my daily routine/DNA if you will...

I actually feel like I'm cheating on Doom sometimes if I'm playing another FPS lol and that any hour spent on any other game is an hour lost in Doom... lol

On 8/11/2020 at 1:55 AM, unerxai said:

I've always been sort of impressed by people who can stick to a game for so long non stop without ever getting bored.

Herein lies the charm and beauty of all that is Doom and it's legacy. It's like playdough... you can mould it so easily. There's always a new WAD or a MOD that someone, somewhere in the world is joyfully tinkering and playing with that keeps Doom fresh and with limitless options and mod combinations. So few games have such near limitless flexibility and a community so willing to bend it ;)

yes, When I get tired of playing doom, I start playing danmaku shmups (bullet hells) or danmakufu scripts (a danmaku game engine). Maximum a month of playing I start playing/mapping doom again.

I have occasionally.

Lately however, I've become so busy with Pokémon Sword, I haven't had time to play Doom. :| (Another excuse why my mod is taking so long.)